Mk2 Golf Power Steering Problem

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by ejonesy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. ejonesy New Member

Hi,

Got a problem with my mk2 power steering. First of all when on full lock in either direction I get a squealing noise. And secondly, at low speed it doesn't feel like the power steering is working particularly well. Pretty heavy and kinda lumpy.

Whats the first thing to check? Fluid level looks fine and there are no obvious leaks. Is it likely to be the belt or the pump? Are these difficult to replace? I'm not the best with the spanners!

Just finished changing the starter motor and sorting out an oil leak and now this. Remind me why I thought it would be a good idea to get another MK2 :lol:

2. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Have you checked the belt tension?

My P/S belt was pretty loose and caused symptoms similar to what you are describing.

Slightly off topic but you didn't happen to see what colour the P/S fluid was did you?

3. ejonesy New Member

The belt doesn't look excessively loose to me. Are there any good ways of checking if its too loose?

Yeah the P/S fluid doesn't look good. Rusty brown in colour!

4. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Well a fluid change won't do any harm although if you are sure the belt seems tight and isn't slipping I doubt the belt is at fault.

It could possibly be that the system just needs rebleeding? Assuming it's the car in your sig fluid recommendations seem to vary. General consensus seems to be red cap = ATF fluid and green cap = mineral stuff. This thread might be useful to you as above is about as far as my knowledge on the subject goes :lol: :

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220770&highlight=mk2+power+steering

Hope this helps.

5. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I'd say put a new belt on it first. :thumbup:

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

about 5mm of deflection is what you're aiming for, replace both the belts as they're only cheap

7. ejonesy New Member

cheers for the help fella's! Yeah I don't think changing the fluid would do any harm it looks pretty old, it's got a red cap so I'm guessing ATF would do the job.

Anyone changed the belt before? It looks like a bugger to get to! But they're not much to buy so could be a good place to start.

8. rubjonny

is a ******* on a mk2! lots of bolts to undo. there's one hidden on the passenger side of the pump pivot easy to forget. then there is a dodgy eyelet bolt tensioning thingy, which likes to shear off, give the bolt a good buff up with a wire brush and a spray with proper penetrating oil to minimise the risk

9. ejonesy New Member

Is exactly what I did not wanna hear :lol:

Scuffed knuckles and plenty of swearing here we come! Mot coming up shortly and not sure I'll have a chance to sort it before then. Are the symptoms I described above likely to be an mot failure? I'm guessing yes.......

10. rubjonny

the manual i have does mention if power steering is malfunctioning, plus a test for excessive tightness/roughness, so I'd say so yes.