Mk2 abf conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by domino_7, Sep 22, 2011.

1. domino_7 New Member

Alright? need a hand.
    I currently have a mk3 golf gti 2.0L 16v (been in an accident, but complete) and also have a mk2 golf gti 16v (which has a 1.8t fitted at the mo) but engine is shot. Between the two cars would I have all parts required to make a mk2 golf abf? Also where is the best guide for this conversion?

Cheers

2. domino_7 New Member

Is that not just block and head swap?

3. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

What do you need to know specifically?
    Would it not be more time effective to source another 1.8t as the hard work has been done? They're not my cup of tea at the mo' but just a thought.

4. domino_7 New Member

The main thing is would I have all the parts needed between the two cars to do the conversion? Also how difficult would it be to swap the power steering from the mk3 to the mk2? Cheers

5. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

If it were me I would sell the mk3 ABF bits to pay for the 1.8t parts. Since the wiring, intercooler and turbo piping is already done, it would just be a simple engine swap as oposed to swaping the engine, wiring, exhaust and everything else that might need to be done

6. domino_7 New Member

Problem is I live in guernsey so it means either sailing over and picking one up or paying a fortune to get it couriered over. I know the abf engine is reliable and has enough performance as the mrs will be driving it once done. So will I have enough parts? Or is there something I may be missing? Cheers

7. afbiker02

If you have the whole mk3 then you should have everything you need. You can find all the info you need to do the swap here

8. domino_7 New Member

Am I correct in thinking the powersteering setup from the mk3 will fit the mk2 of I change the track rod ends? Also how difficult is the rear beam to swap from mk3 to mk2? Cheers

9. afbiker02

I'm not sure about the power steering but the rear beam is a fairly easy swap...with help from a friend as the are a little heavy

10. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Out of interest.. WHY? you will have an issue with the brake compensator valve as I don't think its there on a Mk3, and so there is no provision to attach the opperating arm

11. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

From Mk3:
    PAS rack,
    PAS pipes,
    PAS UJ,
    PAS pump

From Mk2 (PAS equipped vehicle):
    PAS boot (goes over the UJ),
    PAS bottle & pipe that goes to the pump,
    PAS track rods

& PAS fluid to suit the Mk3 system

12. domino_7 New Member

Thanks for that :-) .

Any one know a way around the brake compensator valve? If not can I use the standard wheels and hubs on the front? And just change the steering rack?

Cheers

13. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

leave your Mk2 rear beam, front hubs, and all 4 wheels as is.
    If you want the Mk3 rear brakes, then swap them over to the Mk2, otherwise, the original equipment front the Mk2 16V should be fine

As for the guide that was mentioned earlier, it is head & block swap for first part then on later posts / pages is digifant followed by megasquirt

14. domino_7 New Member

Sounds good. Any mods worth doing while the conversion is happening? Would the mk2 speedo be easier to use or swap for mk3?

Sorry bout all the questions. Normally I just jump straight in but will have to be a quick conversion as she needs the car.

Cheers

15. domino_7 New Member

Also, what do I do about the immobilizer on the mk3 setup? Cheers

16. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

depends on what year Mk3 you have

17. domino_7 New Member

1997 :-)

18. domino_7 New Member

Does the mk3 exhaust manifold fit? Cheers

19. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Imobiliser is in the toyotec guide. There is a box within the dash that goes to obd port. You need this and also the transponder parts from the key and the black ring around the ignition. As for manifold, this can be used in a mk2, no problem

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mostly you have what you need, apart from the obvious service parts. you will need a SEAT ABF/TDI orMK2 SPI/diesel airbox, or just fit a cone filter.

the manifold and downpipe fits, but you need a cat bypass to fit to it. rest of the system it depends what exhaust was used when the 1.8t went in. id assume they kept the 16v system on there and just made u pa pipe to go between 1.8t downpipe and mk2 front silencer. you could also bash out the insides of the mk3 cat, this would do the same job as the cat bypass really, or a decent exhaust place might be able to sort you out.

since it has a 1.8t engine you'll have to do the complete conversion on digi, toyotec covers this later on in his abf guide. also its worth reading thru the entire thing because there are a lot more questions and answers to be found later on in the guide.

where is the hazard switch, dash or column? if dahs then you have a bit of wire splicing ahead of you, if on column it can almost plug straight in but its neater if you do a bit of stripping and wire swapping from a mk2 loom. ideally best to start with a unmodified mk2 engine loom to combine with the mk2 abf loom. though again this depends what was done to get the 1.8t in there

immobiliser box has ign live and earth, plus 2 wires 1 to ecu diagnostics wire and other to jumper block. plugs different so cant mix em up. vag-com port just has live and earth to ciggy lighter wire so thats easy too