Driveshaft lengths (bare driveshaft lengths) ** wanted **

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RobT, Feb 2, 2008.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

:thumbup:

I thought the 020 / 02A flange offsets were the same, but if they're not, we need to get onto this asap!

I agree. Ideal world, we'd have gone groove-to-groove.

So I hear. I've no idea how you got that lot on the car, or got a road usable camber back! One for a thread sometime? :)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ETKA lists the same complete shaft inc c/vs for the MK3 2.0 8v and 16v :)

not the case on G60 MK2 and Corrado narrowtrack though

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just to clarify, G60 Mk2 = Corrado G60/16V?

Does G60 Mk2 = 8v/16v Mk2?

I've never got the bottom of G60 FWD track width (vs 8v/16v).

4. danster Forum Addict

This is the reason I thought there may be a difference between 020 and 02A boxes. I have both lying so can check this too.

I also have an N reg seat toledo TD subframe, wishbones, heavier anti rollbar and shafts (100mm) I can measure. If rubjonny does not want to buy it to wide track his mk2.;)

If he wants to go totally carlos fandango he can have the passat setup too!

5. rubjonny

Corrado (non VR6) = G60 MK2, also same on SEAT Ibiza/Toledo ABF and TDI :)

Corrado/G60 MK2 left shaft = MK2 8v/16v, right shaft is a different part number. It has been said the cable shift right hand shaft on narrow track is a different length, due to the width of the diff.

Fact its diffo in ETKA supports this, but then ETKA also says 5stud VR shaft is diffo to 16v, but by all accounts it is the same! C/Vs same, Diff is same, flanges are same, so whats left? thinckness? position/type of damper?
    Also as above,m ETKA says 5stud 8v and 16v shaft is same too, so 020 vs 02a not an issue here apparently. maybe more float, or the extra length negates the slightly different width of diff issue

6. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

I would be interested to know if there is a difference in distance between the 02A and 020 boxes. I would expect them to be similar based on the info we have so far.

I guess at the end of the day for me the mk3 widetrack set up (4 or 5 stud) is approx 17mm wider per side than the std mk2 gti, so I'm covered as long as I have driveshafts that are approx 17mm longer each side - which I have 2 sets of now...

7. rubjonny

i dont think theres a massive amount in it, seen a fair few peeps use 02a with their old mk2 shafts and no problems. be nice to have a confirmation if there is actually a difference or not, and how much is in it!

8. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

Yep it would be nice to know. I'm currently running my 448/682 (widetrack) shafts with an 02A on my mk2 with no probs.

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The key thing with widetrack (part of the reason for this thread in fact) is there is widetrack, and widetrack.

Golf 3 is not the same as Passat, and we cannot be sure Passat VR6 = Golf/Corrado VR6.

But there's a whole heap more info here now, than there was 2 years ago.

Cheers all :thumbup:

10. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

Looks good now. Only thing I would question is the Mk3 4 stud lengths listed (443/677.2), as mine were definitely the same as my raddo vr ones (448/682)

At the time I fitted my Mk3 4 stud shafts i verified that they were 17mm longer than my std Mk2 16v ones. (16mm in fact..)

11. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

LOL widetrack and widetrack - tis so true..

12. danster Forum Addict

I should get a chance to measure a few things tomorrow all going to plan.

There will be differences in all golf mk1 ,2 and 3 (4 stud) shafts lengths depending on the model. Eg 084,085 or 020 gearbox, 90mm or 100mm inner cvs. Do not ignore the small engined cars shafts as they can be used to in certain circumstances.

If people want to widetrack a mk2 and are not bothered about wheel options the 5 stud mk3 gti / vr setup (wishbones, shafts, anti-rollbar, steering tie rods and hubs) gives an improvement in suspension geometry and the larger brake options as an added plus point.

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That'll be cracking info.

The 90mm vs 100mm output shaft offsets are also key, as I've been made aware they differ.

14. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

Hi Jonny, There is no damper on my Raddo VR long shaft, neither on my Mk3, 4 stud long shaft. As we now know they are the same thing. It does not give me any vibration problems if thats your worry..

15. rubjonny

i was thinking more that the vibe damper was moved or removed simply for clearance, asd the VR is a bigger lump. if its not there on either shaft then buggered if i know why its a diffo part number. maybe slightly different material, hollow vs solid, slightly modified design for stress relief? [:s]

16. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

Same item, 2 diffo part numbers and 300 difference in price???

17. rubjonny

looking again at etka, the VR6 one is also listed for automatic 2.0 16v. Also the manual 2.0 8v/16v says 'with balance weight' the VR/Auto one does not. Price is the same on both

18. danster Forum Addict

Braved the elements and got some measuring done yesterday.

Gearbox dimensions:

020 (100mm output flanges) measures 250mm between the faces of the flanges.

02A (100mm output fanges) is the same as 020 with 100mm flanges. ie 250mm.

020 (90mm output flanges) measures 234mm between the faces of the flanges.

These dimensions were taken by placing two straight edges accross each output flange and measuring the distance between them, so they include the lips that centres / locates the inner cv joint to the output flange.

The two 020 readings make sense as there is a difference between non gti and gti shaft lengths.
    Also no need to change shafts when converting 020 (100mm) to 02A (100mm) gearbox.

The shaft lengths below are all taken end to end.

Passat 4 stud shafts appear to be the same length as Passat 5 stud VR shafts.
    Long = 688mm
    Short = 456mm

Golf mk3 5 stud gti
    Long = 682mm
    Short = 450mm
    The short shaft dimension is slightly longer to what the list says but this would make sense as the passat shafts would then be 6mm longer on both sides than a golf mk3 gti shafts.

19. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

More good info - cheers!:thumbup:

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Time for another update & tidy:

'Traffic light' colours again show how certain / uncertain we are about the lengths quoted.