What's happened to R888 prices? / alternatives?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Adam_16v, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Adam_16v Forum Member

Hi,

Does anyone know why Toyo R888 prices have gone throught the roof. I use 195/50/R15 GG compound.

I bought a set 6 months ago @ 64 / tyre now they're 102 / tyre (Camskill). :o

Is there any reason for this? I think I'll be switching back to road tyres once I've worn this set out....

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

What about Yoko A048R? Hankook RS2 are only 55 each too.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've read about this somewhere - they're taking the mickey and playing artificially with demand/supply. Not an ideal game to be playing in a recession.

Is the Hankook RS2 a road legal trackday tyre? It might be time to move on from the Toyos?

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Interesting - agree they're more of a wet.

I thought for a moment they were close to a Yoko A-032R, but they're far 'wetter' than that!

[​IMG]

Useful 'Ring tyre?

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

T1R are just a replacement for the T1S. Road/Wets only really.

Edit:
    Ignore me, missed the fact they were R1R tyres. Interesting, certainly not a road tyre, but not full on cut slick either.

7. Adam_16v Forum Member

The Yoko A048R is showing as 128 here :o

Don't know if the Hankook are good but may be an option next time if Toyo don't reduce their prices.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hankook sounds worth a try, but looking at the tread, it's not as full-on in appearance as an R888 - this is an "RS2 Z212":

[​IMG]

On appearance, that'll heat up and wear pretty keenly in the dry - too many cuts and moving tread in the centre.

They're a brand begging for attention, the same as Toyo were when they brought out the R888 in 2004. The only way they can do this is on price, so if they come up with something better, who knows?

9. Adam_16v Forum Member

That's what I thought. However, I'd rather put them on with softer rubber than use road tyres as an alternative.

I can only assume Toyo prices will remain high with the track season starting. Maybe they will tail off towards the end of the year. I've got to wear out the current set of Toyo R888's first [:D]

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Ill find out what prices my tyre shop can get them at, he used to charge 60quid for 195/50/15's fitted, possible the cheapest in the country?? but when I asked a few months back he said he couldnt get any.

11. majic79 Forum Member

For 14's, the rally crowd are recommending Yokohama A021R's for general tarmac stuff

[​IMG]

Or toyo T1R or R1R's for larger wheels

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

13. Mat-R Forum Member

I've mentioned the RS2 Hankook a couple of times here but got no feedback from anyone.
    They were the control tyre for a Toyota hatchback series a couple of years ago and they were saying good things about them.

14. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Not a 'Wet' as such but more of a regular road version of the R888. Supposed to be the same compounds as the R888 but with slightly softer sidewalls and better water dispersion. Again, like the R888, all the heavy cars owners loathe them while alot of the lighter car owners think they are great.

The more I think about it, I am better off with just having road legal track tyres on all the time than having two sets. The Mk1 seems to be very light on tyre wear.

Gurds

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  15. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

R888s have gone up in price as Toyo had a massive shuffle around at the end of last year, reducing the number of people they would supply to, and upping the price quite drastically.

I've not bought a set this year so not sure on the actual price, but for 20 a tyre more A048s have got to be a better buy. They will outlast R888s both and are also better on long runs.
    Not sure if NigeP still posts, but he did quite a lot of testing tyres last year. His conclusion was that the R888 at 60 odd a tyre was about as good value as an A048, so at the new prices, A048s will be better value in the long term.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

17. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I will now only buy the Kumho V70, Hard compound tyres new. They are superb. did my quickest ring laps on them and they lasted more than twice as long as 888`s.

Toyo have reduced the number of authorised suppliers and have set a min price. anyone selling under that will lose their supply.

Unfortunately, it means that Toyo have lost their ONE advantage, which was cost. Now they are similar to A048 or Kumho`s and price being equal, I won`t buy them new again.

The Silverstone dry track tyre is also worthy of a look.

Wouldn`t use the R1R on track in the dry, they overheat quickly and start the break up. As a wet tyre, I think they`ll be better.

18. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

sounds like a intresting business concept, 65 a tyre for R888's a no brainer 100 a corner gives me time to think.....

good job I'm also light on tyre wear and hoping not to need any until the summer

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Food for thought there - the V70s seem to be 100 a corner too from Camskill.

20. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

So does anyone have any info/experience on what Kumho V70 Mediums wear like? It's just that my already worn R888s have lasted 3 or 4 Curby events and a hot day at Combe and they still have plenty left before going to the carcass. My car's setup seems to be easy on tyres.

Also 205/50/15 Kumhos only seem to be 5mm in dia bigger than 195/50/15 while also being 207mm width over 192mm.

http://www.kumhotyre.co.uk/circuit_racing.php

Gurds