20v APY Mk2 Garrett GT28RS.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by frenno, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Ditchyboy Forum Member

hi mate, so is that the G60 pedal with just the dbw part welded on? will the pedal then be going back onto the rest of the box before going into the car? Someone had told me to get a bracket welded onto the G60 pedal box then the whold dbw accel pedal put on but if your way works then i think it looks a good and probably slightly easier option, keep us informed on how it works! it will be a great help to me.

2. frenno

frenno Forum Member

Yeah the G60 pedal with the dbw end welded on hopefully it will work, im going to try and get it back in before the weekend it looks like it will fit back into the corrado pedal box just need to work out where the dbw bit will mount

3. frenno

frenno Forum Member

Shallow sump

After fitting the shallow sump i've read a shorter oil pick up pipe is required? from the pictures the shorter pick up pipe looks exactly the same as the one on my engine, If anyone has fitted one of these can you tell me if I've gone wrong?[:s]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

My engine is sound as a pound, but turbo is making a horrible rattle. Its coming off this weekend but I think its a siezed bearing or damaged seals due to overheating (due to a leak).

Mines running an APT race manifold and downpipe http://www.turbo-kits.com/18t_turbo_kits.html - its half way down that page somewhere.

I bought my car as is so I don't have before and after flow figures unfortunately. Guy that owned it was an engineer so decided to do all the internals as a precuation as the engine has sub 50k mileage on it and fvwsh. I don't think skimming and flowing the head is all that necessary on a turbo set up either but there you go!

Sub 350ish bhp you should be ok if not running super high boost. Anything over that or over 320bhp with high boost i'd definately think about uprating a few bits.

I'm still running the standard 16v fuel pump with some modification btw. Dyno run proved it spiked out at 435bhp on my set up, so had to be tuned back to 411bhp.

5. 16valver Forum Member

Nice car. Will be a bit of a sleeper in 4 door guise :thumbup:

6. MazmoNZ New Member

There is no way you can make that horsepower on 440cc injectors db.

As a rough guide, and leaving enough injector pulse width (headroom) for stable flow, I would put 550cc injectors on a 4cylinder trying to make 400bhp (100hp per cyl).

Spiked at 435bhp? Someone is pulling your leg I think, unless you are running stupid pressure through them, and even then - the AF ratio must be well lean - dangerous for engine longevity and bye bye pistons from the heat.

Also - good point on the head skim Frenno, I would not add that as a 'mod' as if you did it to bump the comp then you will struggle to run higher boost (and need even more fuel to cool the bang). Only NA guys do that - If it was done as part of the build to ensure a perfect surface for the gasket then its like saying you got a new cam cover gasket - necessary and part fo the build, but not really important for power.

Also, 'flowed head'? Bump sticks make power for turbo engines, 'flowing' is for NA motors, yeah it can increase HP a little, but when it is easy enough to give the head a quick dremel clean up vs. putting it on a bench and trying to replicate real world flows is out there - Most flow benches use vacuum to create the figures, turbos are on boost when making power so it the figures are kinda irrelevant.

I would get yours down the strip asap and if you can run over 120mph I will believe it has 400+bhp. I would love to be proved wrong though!

7. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Plenty of people running close to 400bhp on 440's - and not that I'm hijacking this thread in anyway at all but I've got various print outs at over 400bhp. It keeps pace with my friends 580bhp skyline so I've got no reason to doubt tbqh.

8. MazmoNZ New Member

'Keeps pace with' is way too vague to be of any use to anyone to consider what power who has got - are you chasing each other around a car park?

People like to front with big hp figures, but the real telling is the mph figure at the end of the strip - the et is about grip and chassis set up. Has you mate been down the strip?

I didn't make up the fuel requirements for engines, they just exist. If your car made 435bhp on the dyno, why not leave it at that power? The bottom end is built so its not going to blow up. Its not your fault, I just think people want to believe that something is true so go with it

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/InjectorSizeCalc.html
    http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php4
    http://www.injector.com/injectorselection.php

BTW - I got a 1000bhp mini moke.

9. frenno

frenno Forum Member

Here are some more pics with the JBS manifold fitted

Also test fitted the engine [:D]

I have no idea what to do regarding a downpipe for this at the moment but decided to crack on with other bits and worry about that later [:s]

Also does anyone know how to get the std 8v clocks to work with a 02A box?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  10. frenno

frenno Forum Member

DBW pedal sorted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Crap photos I know but its a hard place to photograph!

Just waiting on engine and gearbox mounts which should arrive today then I will attempt to put the engine in tomorrow.

I got a bare 02A Gearbox (CBA I think) if you do the same these are the part numbers of the mounts you need

357 199 356 - gearbox support
    357 199 353A gearbox support
    [​IMG]

357 199 273A front engine mount support
    [​IMG]

Also PAS bottle mount needs changing for a corrado one which is 535 422 845
    [​IMG]

An I ordered Vw bolts 13.50 to fit this lot

321 837 080
    02A 409 193
    N10 241 603 X 3
    N10 067 003
    N10 048 703

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  11. benthejettaman Forum Member

o2a gearbo, isnt that out a mk3 if so u can just use a mk2 1.3 speedo cable

12. Dan172 Forum Member

Do you still have the ebay manifold? for sale?? [:D]

13. frenno

frenno Forum Member

Yep and Corrado, Passat etc also had 02A's, mine is a 02A CBA from a Corrado G60 Im using a GSF 1.3 mk2 golf cable with the bottom part of an 02A cable Part number 02A -409-193 this connects the golf 1.3 speedo cable (02a's are normally electronic) to the gearbox output

No sorry I sold it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  14. frenno

frenno Forum Member

Result.... the engine is in!

I fitted all the gearbox and engine brackets this weekend as well as a 4 bar fuel pressure reg [​IMG][​IMG]
    I sent the injectors off to be cleaned looks like it was well worth the 40!
    [​IMG]
    I should have pipe work to fit fit intercooler etc next weekend and i'll get some better pics of the engine in the bay :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  15. GMG

GMG Forum Member

Always a good call having the injectors cleaned and flow tested, I always do mine.
    Great work so far mate aswell, all the best with it

16. frenno

frenno Forum Member

DBW help.....

I hope someone can help me with the DBW wiring...

I have a DBW potentiometer from an unknown VAG car
    [​IMG] with this plug on it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the wire colours are Pink, Grey, Yellow, White, Brown, & Green

Then from the S3 loom (Connector broke off) I have the following wires
    [​IMG]
    Colours Brown/Blue, White/Grey, Grey/Blue, Grey/Red, Yellow/Green, & White/Blue.

Without knowing what car the potentiometer came from do I have any chance of working out how to wire it?

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  17. turbotommy Forum Member

Where did you get the DBW petentiometer from?
    The square 6 wire plug is from a Seat,probably either a mk3 ibiza cupra or from a mk1 toledo tdi

18. frenno

frenno Forum Member

I got it off eBay, at the time I thought all potentiometers where the same, it has a BOSCH part number on it 0 205 001 032

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  19. turbotommy Forum Member

Mk1 toledo tdi has the same numbers.

20. frenno

frenno Forum Member

Brilliant:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: thanks for that mate, I can try and find a wiring diagram now [:*:]