Badger5 Workshop Burgled this evening

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by badger5, Aug 24, 2010.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

aye, tis possible..

laptop is useless to them in the main however, without code and credits which come from revo or cc the software is pointless.

anythings possible.. I would'nt put anything past such people

2. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member

you should really think about encrypting the data on any laptop you have on site. especially if it contains sensitive information. :thumbup:

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

any outsider can read the forum without being a site member iirc so wouldn't get you anywhere?

Gutting for you Bill, though could have been far worse like you said. Looks like a regular thief has tried to make a quick buck by grabbing the 1st thing in sight & doing a runner.

4. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

fair point, been a member for so long that I'm just used to logging on forr every visit so forgot you could do that.

5. ianb Forum Member

Sorry to hear Bill

Were you connected to the Internet on this PC?

If so which one?

Sometimes we can trace these items through the IP address if it re-connects to the internet...usually the same provider.

You can check through your provider and inform them if it re connects and they will provide the Police of where that account originates from.....I've had some experience in this!

Ian

6. danster Forum Addict

Detective ianb of CSICGTI tech dept. ;)

This would be a great end to the story if we get a collar. :thumbup:

7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Sorry to hear about the break in Bill, most likely is local smack heads grabbing what they can sell easy, just be happy in knowing there lives are depressing and most likely short.

Did you go to the local pawn shops with descriptions of the items? dont know what places like that Stonehouse still has as its been a fair few yrs since I lived there.

8. badger5

Hi Ian
    yea this pc lived on the web, and would connect to BT Internet, MSN etc
    BT connect is the business internet it would have lived off connection wise.
    BTopenworld emails, MSN logged in also.

Do I try and contact BT with this info yea?

9. altern8 Forum Junkie

Might be difficult unless you know the mac address of the network card to help pinpoint your laptop.

On the same lines of thought why dont you plug in a webcam to your internet router and have it so you can monitor the lockup from home?

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

also heard of ones that email you pics on a timer upon activation so that even if security setup was stolen/damaged the pics would exist online.

11. monkeyzoo Forum Member

Following some incidents on our estate I bought and fitted a CCTV kit. It came with 2 colour/nightvision cameras with motion sensors and a video hard drive recorder (that can take up to 4 cameras) and a 7" colour flatscreen monitor that I flush mounted in the hall. The recorder can be connected to the internet so you can monitor your premises remotely. You can also connect it to an alarm. When the alarm triggers the last chunks of recorded footage are sent via ftp to a server of your choice or can be sent by email. The whole lot cost around 350 - 400 and I fitted it all in a day.

I can dig out the info on the company if you like.

12. badger5

workshop is fully protected now... camera's wont be of any use to me ;)

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

good to hear