BAM in Mk2 hits master cylinder

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by dUff, Oct 17, 2009.

1. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

The factory mk2 master cylinder only has 2 outlets too giving the clearance you need. The one you have is aftermarket.

Gurds

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

What gearbox mount are you running - any chance that your mount is pushing the box too far forward? That might change the alignment on your front mount, and rotate the engine slightly so it's closer to the M/Cyl?

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Have you tried the flater front mount though?

4. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Problem solved

Mate came over who has a AEB in his and said thats not right your engines is on the **** lol

He took one look at the vibratchnics and said that needs to be taken apart and swapped around 180 degress , so did that and fits fine and can put the cambelt cover on now, winner
    Jimmy123 did say about this to me for the 2 part mk2 mounts on sunday , but did not suss that at the time

So that vibratechincs rear mount was like that from new from the factory and has been on my valver for years like that with a 357 199 354 F
    The design of the mount has changd since i had mine and is nothing like the new ones

In my 20v its runs a 357 199 354 C , which is the same my mate runs in his AEB
    In my 16v i ran a 357 199 354 F which could have been longer , yet to measure that

Sorted and the front mount lines up perfect now

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

good work mate :)

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is that the type of mount that has a seperate bracket bolted to the subframe? if so i have seen exactly the same symptoms with the front mount being way off liek that when someone bolted the lower half of the bracket to the subby the wrong way round. flipped it and the problem was solved. i guess flipping the vibra technics round as you say has achieved the same thing :)

7. jimmy123 Forum Member

thats good news triss glad you got to the bottom of it

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

If you want more clearance i've got a 23mm master cylinder which doesn't have an outlet on the timing belt side,

9. rubjonny

just to clean up your part number list, plus corrections as some of your numbers were wrong or listed as 357 when they're actually 535 number. shows there are basically 2 numbers for the 02a gearbox, 357 and 535. Fitment suggests 357 early/low power then a switch to 535 number, might be something simple like a switch to abs or something which requires more clearance behind engine. Regardless of which rear mount is fitted, all 02a front mounts are the same. Only showing manual mounts here to save confusion:

Rear:
    Passat:
    357 199 354 - Low power engines 2E,1Y,SB,AAM,AAZ,ABS,ABN,EZ,ACX
    357 199 354 H/535 199 354 C - high power engines KR,9A (abs fitted as standard?)

Golfs Mk2:
    191 199 354 C - All big block models
    191 199 354 F - Syncro (prob same as normal but clearance for syncro somehow, iirc bracket back here to steady the diff or something?)
    535 199 354 C - G60
    357 199 354 F - Rallye

Corrado:
    357 199 354 - Early Corrado KR (pre-abs?)
    535 199 354 C - late corrado KR and all other engine codes

Front:
    357 199 273 - Corrado, Rallye, Passat
    191 199 273 C - All MK2 big block

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  10. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Cool spot on , many thanks its all very useful information for others that encounter the same issue

11. Dclarke Forum Member

I've got one of these brackets on the shelf I'm selling if your interested. My brother (Jommanjo) had exactly the same problem so we used one of these and it was cured. Got a spare as couldn't find any then two turned up at once!

12. vwd40 Forum Member

One off a Corrado G60 also does the same, may be the same bracket.

13. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

mines sat on vibra mounts and a solid front mount, using 02A gear box arm (its running the 02j box) from the passat and the passat k04 engine mount (which has the cut out for the oil return).

theres room - just - between the cam belt cover and my RS2 25.7mm MC the engine harly moves so the 1-2mm clearnace is fine.

also in your earlier pic the engine is sat wwwaaayyy too low and leaning back

14. zakiechan New Member

Just wanted to add something on the MC front. The MC from a 1.8 ford focus zetec (2000 model) is 23mm but tiny! It fits perfectly and leaves loads of room for the cam belt and cover. I'll post part numbers later and get a pic of mine when its fitted again ;)

15. rubjonny

yeah thats the same one as oem fitment to mk3 ibiza 1.8t :thumbup:

16. Neil_Ireland Forum Member

This is one of them, I got it the other day. 24.9mm.
    Part number 6K2611019E
    [​IMG]

17. mk2sp Forum Member

R u sure Mk3 Ibiza MC fits Mk2 servo? 24.7mm sounds nice with my Mk4 calipers. If yes what is the price of it?

18. turbotommy Forum Member

The mk3 Ibiza M/C fits the mk2 servo fine but its been brought up that a 3 mm spacer is required by both 20vJimmy & scorian (iirc) i think its because the ibiza has a metal spacer bracket fitted between the servo and bulkhead! (so does the mk2 ibiza & they both use a mk3 golf fittment servo)
    I fitted mine a few years ago but its STILL not running so havn't checked the brakes yet,but have purchased some alloy to make a spacer.
    Not sure how you fill the brake fluid reservoir on the focus master cylinder or where the take off is for the clutch M/C unless you run sit seperate (not a bad idea) or if the ibiza reservoir fits?
    Only difference i have seen from pics is the focus has 4 outlets and ibiza has 2,other than that they look the same.

19. rubjonny

hmm, would the biza spacer fit a mk2 bulkhead?

20. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

From fitting my master cylinder i cant imagine a spacer between the servo and the bulkhead affecting the fit of the master cylinder. The problem is that the pushrod on the cylinder (the part you can see is covered in foam in that pic) is 3mm longer than the mk2 one. So if you put the cylinder up to the servo it won't seat all the way in, obviously if you do the nuts up it will pull the cylinder in, but this will cause the brakes to be partly on.

With the focus cylinders, some models had 2 outlets, and some had 4, although i couldn't tell you which. On the focus it has a separate resevoir which is piped to the one on top of the master cylinder. I'm fairly sure it would be possible to fit the ibiza resevoir onto the focus master cylinder.