Curved Airhons for DTH 16v installations-Demo

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by badger5, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Ess Three Forum Member

A wee update on Bills adaptors:

Progress is at a glacial rate this far north...but here goes:
    I ended up with two sets of adaptor rings from Bill as I already had some fabrication work done on the backplate assembly and outer injector supports. These are my adaptors I got from Bill:
    [​IMG]

A couple of pics of them installed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In my set-up, this equated to a distance of 180mm from the ITB mounting flange to the bellmouth, which theoretically should help keep the torque up on an engine not likely to go much beyond 7500RPM.

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

do you have a picture of end on view showing how they sit relative to bonnet line and slam panel etc?

getting their chap!
    :thumbup:

3. Ess Three Forum Member

Sadly not, as they are currently in my utility room. They are well clear of the bonnet line of a Mk3 - they fitted without the adaptors, but the curve of the filter was against the underside of the bonnet.

They are now very close to the front panel...so it'll need cutting back if I want to be able to get the filter on and off. It's physically clear of the front panel though. (Test Fit pic below)

[​IMG]

4. Ess Three Forum Member

Heres another couple of the full set-up, from the side (you'll have to ignore the kitchen setting!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Surely it'd just make more sense to have a manifold between the ITB'S and the head, angled down, which would also move the injector further away from the engine too?

Seems to me like the DTH setup has actually caused the problem in the first place. No?

6. Ess Three Forum Member

There is no problem fitting DTHs, but you make one if running external injectors and trying to keep the air horn length up. It's been covered in threads in the ITB section so I'll not go into it in great length here.

But basically, the DTHs allow one injector very close to the inlet valves for quick response and good emissions when running with a cat for the MOT, whilst the external injectors *may* give an advantage at higher revs.

7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Will be interesting to see how it goes :)

I personally think RPMs will be too low to get any benefit out of this setup (further spaced injectors)

great exercise in designing / sourcing / fabricating / packaging though :thumbup:

8. badger5

nope!
    what problem?

more important bit for performance is port side not airhorn side with respect to angles of airhorns vs angle bodies mount to head which is far more important..

want summat else, just buy a DCOE style manifold which will curve into the ports to mount bodies horizontal..

angled adaptors allow other fitments of out board injectors etc etc... its very configurable

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  9. badger5

thankyou.. cheers for that

mind if I steal the pictures.. shows a full length setup withairbox which a lot of people dont run.

thanks

Ps. interesting cam wheel there

10. Ess Three Forum Member

You go ahead and take the pics Bill...no problem.

Cam wheel is the Autotech/Quaife peg type.

11. ian-speedy Forum Member

Do you have this kit in stock ?

12. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Good thread. Nice kit. Fair prices. This is stimulating some mods...

13. murph81 Forum Member

Right, having similar problems with clearance on my Mk1 ABF.

Can somebody tell me what the "sf" stands for with these curved air horns and what they are actually used for?

Why didn't/don't Jenvey make a curved spacer that will bolt directly onto their throttle bodies without the need for adaptors?

14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

SF=single throttle units, a webber DCOE for comparison is a duel throttle unit

15. murph81 Forum Member

Thanks Rob!

I can't see why they make curved spacers for the single units and not the doubles.

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Because they are more expensive/ fancy

17. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

What are you having an issue with ? the type of Air Filter you want to fit.

i have filter socks on my MK1 due to the clearance which i remove when racing as i have filter foam behind the front grill too.

18. murph81 Forum Member

Yeah, I will be using the car on the road so I want a permanent setup and would prefer not to use the socks.

At the moment I have 65mm trumpets and the are close enough to the bonnet and I would like longer trumpets for torque.

I've had a think about it and will be going the custom rad route, with the extra room I am thinking about using the curved spacers.

I want to get a custom carbon airbox/backplate with an angle mounting surface so that I can mount it directly onto the itb's and fit the adaptors, curved spacers and trumpets (longest that I can fit) inside and have a JC50type filter at the front behind the grille.

Do you think this will work, I haven't got access to my Mk1 at the moment but I'm hoping that with the curved spacers fitted that the trumpets will be lower than the slam panel?

Has anyone experimented with different length trumpets to see whats the optimum length, I imagine this will depend on the spec of the engine?

19. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Are you after this Length of Trumpet 110mm ?

198bhp & 185lb/ft

I think Rob T is your man regarding experimenting with the various trumpets lengths

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  20. murph81 Forum Member

That length or longer, I'm hoping that with the 22.5 degree spacers that the trumpets will clear the underside of the slam panel.

Do you think 22.5 is enough of an angle?