Toyotec's How to install an ABF engine in your Mk2 Golf. Revisit of KJet car 180610

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

don't forget the fuel lines and the throttle/clutch/speedo cables

2. doddy182 New Member

Awesome thanks guys. More than i was expecting but at least i have a to-take off list!

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Do the engine mounts last. Less chance of dropping the engine on your head that way.

4. arnau Forum Member

is it easier to pull the engine out with the 4-2 section of the manifold still attached to the head (but away from the downpipe)... or leaving the 4-2 attached to the downpipe and away from the head?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

depends if the nuts come undone. might end up having to leave the manifold on, in that case i would split the downpipe from the front silencer and drag it out with the manifold and downpipe still attached.

6. arnau Forum Member

thanks!!

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It's all on post 1 folks...

"Procedure.

Remove the KR engine and gearbox complete by disconnecting, cooling system, slam panel, intake supply piping, the engine WUR/injector lines from metering head, electrical wiring, exhaust downpipe. CV heat shield and inner CV joints."

Based on some of the questions, for a moment I thought it was not clearly stated...

8. doddy182 New Member

Currently got all the ancillaries and pipes off the engine but bolts holding the wishbone in are so rusted up I can't shift them. Will attack them with the grinder at the weekend! All turning out to be harder than I thought

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Why do you need to remove the wishbones?

I just removed the driveshafts when I did my swap...

10. andyholli New Member

Coolant snag

Inspired by this thread and following Toyotec's lead I'm part way through my KR replacement fun.
    I listened to Rubj's advice on the auxiliary drive and have switched over to the ABF set up but am keeping my kjet fueling (for now).

The snag I've hit is that of the two choices for coolant outlet from the front of the head (KR or ABF) neither seem quite right. - The ABF version kinks to clear the aux drive tensioner spring but looks to send the coolant pipe off too far from the top of the radiator's inlet and could clash with the inlet manifold (I've not tried it yet).

The KR type coolant exit sits snug up against the tensioner spring with no space for the pipe.

Hmmm.

I think there's enough meat on the spring housing to allow a water pipe's thickness to be ground away and if so that could be the neatest option.

- But I wanted to check with you guys before I break out the Dremel.:thumbup:

Cheers in advance.

11. websifus New Member

Hi to everybody and my compliments to this fantastic forum! The way you treat the technical questions here reveals a lot of dedication and love for the details:thumbup::clap:
    I'm following different topics here since a few month and found a lot of interesting stuff. Especially when it comes to solutions that are in most parts of continental Europe simply illegal like the combination of an ABF-Engine with standard KR K-Jet. [:D]:lol:[:D]:lol:

As a German I don't understand every single technical detail from the beginning so I had to learn most technical vocabulary first before I could start to post. Nonetheless some things remain mysterious like the following part:

"Flap pivot - 5mm allen driver?"
    @ Toyotec: Are you talking about the CO-adjustment-screw at the airflow sensor plate? That has an allen-screw, but of 3 and not 5 mm ;)
    In Germany no one believes that the standard KR-Injection shall be sufficient to run a 2.0L-block without leaning out.

Cheers

12. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

webifus, The guys in Germany should look at this then:

K-Jet fueling pretty good in this example!

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hi websifus,
    You are right the size is 3mm as is seen in my picture alongside my Craftsman 10mm combi spanner, when the vehicle was revisited for a drive evaluation :thumbup:

There is a difference between "no one believes" and "no one has tried" ;)

We are fortunate in the UK that the law on older vehicles does not prohibit such swaps/modifications as yet.
    Hence the reason for this type of engne swap to be very common and even cost effective if your vehicle was already a KR 16v. There are also various ways we get around the lean out issue on K-Jet, at higher that factory outputs, which is discussed around the forum.
    There are many 2.0 16v ABF, 9A or ACE engines that have all been run on mechanical CIS, at high engine loads and speed with λ even less than 0.80*. The system is still crude compared to EFI, but can be made to deliver the required fuel if you know what you are doing.
    *During development 0.8 λ has been seen at WOT and near max engine speed and should not be assumed to be L.B.T. in this example.
    Regards

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

usae the abf flange, the kr one wont work as the inlet wont bolt back on. with the abf one you just have to trim the pipe slightly so it fits the radiator, once its bolted on and you mock the pipe up you'll see what needs to be done :)

15. andyholli New Member

Coolant flanges

- Absolutely right (again) John.

So for anyone planning this set up the ABF flange and water pipe to connect it to the pump and cooler will be needed (the KR pipe is too short to reach the flange outlet).:thumbup:
    Cheers
    Andy

16. chrismc Forum Junkie

With the ABF on kjet car in question- was the idle CO set to pass the MOT? (less than 3.5%)

Whilst adjusting idle co shifts the entire fuel window is not adjusting the fuelling via the WUR a better method for adjustment through the rev range?

An MOT friendly idle mixture can be maintained & lower fuel control pressure set via WUR to keep the top end rich?

Remember reading elsewhere where you stated a 5-6% idle co% gave the best results with ABFs on kjet...??

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  17. andyholli New Member

KR to ABF weight differences

As I pulled the two lumps apart, some of the differences in weight made me ask 'how much difference is there exactly?' - so I broke out the scales:

Sticking with 020 box versus 02A: 31.7 V 39.91 (including slave, 'cradle' and bolts) gave 8.2kg
    Clutch and flywheel assemblies differed by (a rotating) 1.5kg (10.1 V 11.6)
    Inlet manifold/plenums/throttle bodies were 0.2kg (7.3 V 7.5)
    Heat shields on ABF (omitted by me as they were cracked) but optional, came to 2.3kg

- I ignored fuel rail V Kjet lines and injector weights and the bracketry for alternators and PAS

giving a total available weight saving of about 12.2kg - and some of that has to be spun up and down too.

Errr, so what?

Food for thought if you are torn between 020 and 02A options, as I was.

In my view 12 kilos up front is significant... what do you think?

18. arnau Forum Member

I think that these 1.5Kg off the flywheel is a good thing!!

19. arnau Forum Member

quick one:
    I'm going to fit an abf into my kr corrado. I'll be fittin corrado's kr flywheel in the ABF. Will the kr flywheel bolts be the same as the ABF ones? What size are their heads (they're 12* ones, like a star, am I right?) ?

20. arnau Forum Member

yet more quick questions:

which thermostat housing should I use with ABF engine using KR water pump, kr or abf one? if abf, which one (there are two)? any adapters needed to match kr radiator lower pipe?

kr coolant flange (front of engine) has 3 "exits" (engine, cooler, radiator), as well as abf flange. but in etka's cooling system picture, the flange isn't the one that is needed for this conversion, so the coolant pipe (flange-cooler-pump) isn't the correct one. Anyone got a part number? Or could KR pipe be reused?