2E crossflow build

Discussion in '8-valve' started by George HH, Jan 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

Bump!! would and APK or AKL head like above, fit on this block?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a TSR brands hatch engine, but has since been rebuilt due to their crap work. Im pretty sure it is a 1.8 block bored to 82.5mm with a stroker crank. Im not sure what engine code it is but it is a brazil block.

2. danster Forum Addict

3. madasafish100

Im guessing that the oil drain is the oval shaped hole between cylinders 1&2?? What needs doing to it to get it to marry up, they look like they will overlap, but im guessing not in the right places etc?

Does this just stand for the AKL or is it the same for the APK?

4. danster Forum Addict

Your block does not have the extra area around the oil drain between no1 & 2 cylinders at the front of the block.
    You can see this pic shows the different shape that the crossflow head has in this area.
    [​IMG]

Later 2.0 tall blocks like 2E and ABF have the extra meat on the block so should be fine and not require any mods.
    [​IMG]
    I am looking in to the possibility of the APK 2.0 8v mk4 headgasket being used, as it has the correct shape for this oil drain passage.
    I need to check this though as there are 3 oil drains on the rear of the block of the APK that are not used on the crossflow head or the 2E or ABF style blocks. The ABA is another potential gasket. And also need to check the locating dowels for gasket which may need checking against gasket holes, and clearance on the head.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  5. madasafish100

But if I have the oil drain on the head filled and re drilled to suit my block as above, I can use a steel ABF or similar as the oil drain will suit then yea?

6. danster Forum Addict

Yes, that should not be a problem. It is only an oil drain so no great issue as long as the flow is not too restricted.

7. decoc182 Forum Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but im going to be buying a crossflow head to hookup to my AGG powered ibiza gti. I believe its an AKL head. Can I just confirm, danster you say the later tall blocks e.g 2e/agg/abf etc should be fine and not require any mods ? Can I just check thats correct :) ?

This mite be a noobish question also, but looking at the picture of the face of the head, there seems to be another drain hole?? between cylinders 2 and 3. Is this blocked in the head, or will this require blocking, as there does not appear to be anything matching on the block face.

One last question, i know the port shape and flange fixings are different to the counterflow, but are the port spacings similar, as in, can a counterflow fuel rail (2e/agg) be made to fit if its the correct spacings ?

Sorry for the stupid questions :p This is fascinating to read, keep up the good work :)

8. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

I have an old ABA fuel rail & FPR spare ! FOC just postage :thumbup:

Don't ask what i'm doing with 8v Hardware ! i don't know. also have the throttle body [:s]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  9. decoc182 Forum Member

Brookster PM'd :)

10. danster Forum Addict

The 2.0 tall blocks have the extra material to cover the oil drain between cylinders 1 & 2. The oil drain between 2 & 3 is the same as the 2E / AGG head and block so no issue there. I am just trying to confirm that the ABA head gasket allows crossflow head fitment on 2.0 tall block with no modifications needed at all. Hopefully be able to confirm this in the next day or so.

The port spacings are different from the counterflow head, so take up Brooky on his offer of the fuel rail. :thumbup:

11. decoc182 Forum Member

Ahh great stuff danster :) look forward to hearing back from your results. I mite have got the wrong end of the stick (not hard lol) I was referring to the drain hole at the rear of the clyinder head between cylinder 2 and 3 (exhaust side). This could be the one your talking about, in which case...call me a retard [:p]. I can see that the front drain (between 2 and 3) should match up ok :)

Now the fun starts to get this all working on the siemos injection. Not sure wether the AGG injectors are air shrouded or not, and wether they will mate up to the ABA fuel rail. If not, do you have any suggestions to alternatives ?

12. danster Forum Addict

That small hole on the rear of the head between 2 and 3 is just a casting hole, it does not go to any oilways.
    The crossflow head is wider than the 2E type. This is so it covers the three extra oil drains that the 06X type block has. The 20v and later FSI heads utilise these extra rear oil drains, but the crossflow head just has a special gasket that covers them over in the block.

13. madasafish100

A fat set of carbs!!:thumbup:

14. decoc182 Forum Member

Do you have an update on the headgasket danster :) ?

15. danster Forum Addict

I was trying to find out if the ABA headgasket is the perfect match for crossflow head on 8v 2E / AGG / ADY 2.0 tall, IM shaft block. I have not come across an ABA in this country to look at and check things like dowel hole position and oil and water ways. The metal layer gaskets have raised sections to aid sealing in certain areas, so it is not ideal if these areas lie in areas of unsupported block.
    From US ebay picks of an ABA gasket that I have looked at, it appears to be right, but would not want anyone to spend their money on one without being 100% sure.
    I will try to get INA to have a look as he is very up to speed on the engines out in the US. :thumbup:

16. INA

INA Forum Member

Did you guys get the ABK out there?

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

ABK code was fitted to later Audi 80 and A100/A6.

18. Funky Diver Forum Member

I know you said to me offline, but for the benefit of everyone else, why not use the AKL gasket set?

19. danster Forum Addict

AKL gasket is designed for the newer 06X type blocks. And it is designed for the 81mm bore of a 1.6. No use on a 2.0. And the dowels are wrong. I could go on.........:lol:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  20. danster Forum Addict

Yes, and it is listed as having the same gasket as a 2E. ABK is a counterflow head similar to the 2E. This means it only just catches the outer edge of the crossflow head oilway between cylinders 1 & 2. Not ideal if using a MLS type gasket as there are raised ribs in certain areas that will not be supported above and below to aid compressing the gasket properly. I know other gaskets are close to the shape required and many have used them without issue.
    Granted this point is only an oil drain so not seeing high pressure. It would just be nice to know that there was an existing gasket that matches the locating dowels and is a perfect fit on our 2E / AGG / ADY 8v tallblocks.

"037 103 383 N" appears to be the ABA head gasket part number. Therefore it should be the correct gasket for us here in the UK, when fitting 8v crossflow heads on our 2.0 tallblocks.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011