Leon Cupra-R racecar build pix

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by badger5, Jun 26, 2011.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

A Customer car which came in for a full turbo back exhaust and pipework making for FMIC installation, and mapping. Car runs a hybrid GT35 unit on a Badger5 tubular exhaust manifold, 38mm MVS Tial external wastegate. Full 3" turbo back exhaust which must comply with regs (have a cat, and be quiet enough for track use)

Birchills Silencers chosen as these are what I used on 3" turbo back system I made on the lupo. Comprises 3 full bore Silencers, and 100 Cell Race cat, with pipework venting Tial external gate pre-cat. Full vband after turbo (which was 4bolt and customer supplied)

Expected sound at 4700rpm 89db(A) based on Lupos similar system build. ( 105db(A) is a raceday max, and trackdays are often 95db(A) ) - It should be fine.

Cars build by customer, not by me. Most of the performance parts are Badger5 however :)

anyhows... the pictures.

the subtle, 3" pipe which does look a little "lost" in the large valance opening. lol (its a racecar, fucntion over bling here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tail pipe hides the stack of work involved making this system to this high spec however.. It was a lot of work to make.

front to back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full 3" vbands employed throughout the system.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note external 38mm MVS Tial vents pre-cat, seprate flexi, located downstream of turbine so no flow disruption.
    [​IMG]

Full front/rear system
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and in its breakdown
    [​IMG]

lower portion of DP with cat and external w/g vent
    [​IMG]

Needless to say all TIG welded
    [​IMG]

Under car shot up to manifold & DP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The car itself...
    [​IMG]
    forge big race fmic 9but why oh why use 60mm ends!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Engine bay-not completed, de-blinging yet to be done :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the nice NEW 4" intake MAF housing insitu
    [​IMG]

4" intake mounting for MAF now done (thanks to my v.good friend nige and his CNC magic)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and it welded onto the 102mm intake pipe
    [​IMG]

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Nice :)

Is this on OEM management hence need for MAF?

Calibrating MAF sensor scale for 4" housing is a pain and difficult to get right

Gota love V-band couplings throughout the system!

3. badger5

I will have the challenge re 4" MAF scaling for sure.. ME7 ecu so yea, thats why. If not then I will try MAFless, but if I can make it work, MAF should make for reasonable part throttle control hoepfully.

Why were you running fwd at Inters on saturday Sam? Proper wrinkle walls looked freeky on the line.. hehe.

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I am in FWD class this year at the Pod, ESC series. Engine and box will go into mk2 soon then A3 will be put back to 4WD

They made little difference from road rubber at Brunters, just could not get grip[xx(]

Engine is now mapped at 1.7 Bar of boost, maxed out 850cc injectors @3 Bar so i will need more fuel pressure for more boost. Made 510 HP:)

Part throttle is bigest challenge as air speeds are so low in 4" housing

Good luck with it tho keep us posted please:thumbup:

5. rikko New Member

Bill

How much for exhaust very nice bit of work there thats what i call modern art :)

6. badger5

exhaust was not cheap - but its not your normal exhaust either

7. badger5

Deblinged (satin finished) pipes now installed finally.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

to do, fit and set fuel pressure (external and very awkwardly mounted FPR/gauge affair)
    then ign... then spin her to life hopefully.

fingers crossed

8. rikko New Member

How does the exhaust fit? over or under the rear beam also how much would iit be Bill to do a straight piece of pipe instead of the back box?

Also what power you hoping from it Bill whats it had done?

Rikko

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  9. badger5

it goes over the beam.

I need more info re your straight pipe question.

Its got a varient of a GT35 on it, similar to my ibiza's previous one, but with a larger compressor cover on it.. Its a used item off a drift car apparently. >500bhp unit.. We will see how I get on with it.

Some fuel system, issues to remedy first after 1st startup showed a pressure problem. Issue found last night so when replacement parts are fitted it should respond ok. Its injectors are upsized to 830's from the 630's mis sold to the owner by a.n.other "tuner"