Car weights!!

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by I V - mk1 16v, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Planning to get mine to the weighbridge on Saturday morning if they are open for business.

Will report findings. Then will compare as i make minor improvements over time. Bumpers and the rest of the windows in poly will be first.

2. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I am around 70kg. Usually more though (too busy to eat recently)... So no weight to loose on my behalf.

The inner bumpers are still there, I reckon I could get 15kg off ok, but not 50kg :lol:
    The Fuel tank is cut in half but the unused half is welded back on, that could come off....
    The wheels and tyres have added the most (over the P Slots).

3. G2T

G2T Forum Member

Mk2 16v abf on kjet, o2a box, g60 brakes
    [​IMG]

Stripped interior
    Lightened doors
    Lightened bonnet
    6 pt weld in cage
    Sunroof removed ally plated over
    Tar still in footwells
    Full upper dash inc heater box
    Perspex windows bar front screen and door quarterlights
    15" Pro race 1.2 alloys with r888`s
    Full fat 3 box stainless
    Full size batt
    Full stock washer bottle
    Apx 10L of fuel

[​IMG]

Including a bag of apx 5-10kg of removed stuff inc wiring plus sheathing, bonnet catch, panel sound deadening etc

[​IMG]

4. trig

trig Forum Member

What does your car weigh?

I had wondered since I bought it what my car weighed because there are different figures all over the place and I didn't know which was the most accurate.

Today I finally found out, as part of my dissertation I need to know the mass of my car.
    1019kg.

Spec: 1989 (small bumper) Golf GTI 16v, BBS RA's, no PAS, standard interior, electric windows, sunroof and just over half a tank of fuel.

Anyone else been interested (anal) enough to find out the weight of their car?

(Yes, I am aware that I have mixed weight and mass before anyone says so ;))

Trig

EDIT: *Sigh* I'm a muppet and forgot to use the search button first

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  5. racer66 Forum Member

I put mine on the Scales at Brands today. A little dissapointed really, not sure how I can get it closer to 700 kg.

787kg with pretty empty tank.

Mk1 golf, Ex VW Cup car.

Got a GRP Bonnet on the way, but even with a boot in the same, a lighter carbon seat, etc its not going much lighter. It has not roof struts, bare dash, no heater etc. Assume the cage is a major weight in these. Anyone else on here with the ex cup cars got a lower weight?

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just seen one of these quoted at 880kgs dry. They ran no underseal, full glass, metal panels & 8 point cages incl front stays + a couple of other bars (main hoop + poss rear harness bar). No sunroof obviously. 8v / 16v TBC:

[​IMG]

7. Bomber604

Bomber604 Forum Member

After having some extra roll cage tubing added over the winter I've been on a mission to remove every possible bit of unwanted weight from the race car whilst staying within the regs.

I had it on the scales on Thursday and am pleased to report it weighed in at 848kg

That's with full glass,
    All bracketry & rear seat frame still in place
    Std battery & dash with heater.

:thumbup:

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

How much fuel?

9. Bomber604

Bomber604 Forum Member

Not much!

With me in it & starting the race with the correct amount of fuel & I should finish 1 or 2kgs over the minimum for my class.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  10. samfish

samfish Forum Member

That's some good fuel calculations.

I sort the fuel for the mini's, and I'm too worried to run it that close. They use a litre per minute flat-out [:D] A litre being 0.78kg (race fuel)

You wouldn't believe how inconsistent the championship scales can be too!!!!

11. Bomber604

Bomber604 Forum Member

Oh, I would!

However if you ignore your own scales outside of the setting up process & use the scales of the day to sort your fuel load you cant go far wrong.

12. samfish

samfish Forum Member

:)
    yeah, thats what we have had to do.
    I cant understand how they can be so inconsistent...? Speaking to other drivers, we all find that the cars will be 10kg heavier than the last meeting, then varying during the meeting.

Championship scales must be accurate to a certain percentage.... The Longacre ones must be sold with a degree of accuracy, no?
    If they are accurate to 1% (at very best!!) surely that would give scope for a 1000kg car to be 10kg under? I realise the scales are taken as 'gospel' though.....

13. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member

thats good going Alex! I am about 900kg, although my sunroof is yet to be removed. not sure where i could remove anothe 35kg odd, perhaps my cage is heavier or has more tubes??

14. Bomber604

Bomber604 Forum Member

Hi Tim, You won't need to get your car as light as mine because you don't weigh as much as me!

If you take too much out you'll end up having to run ballast plates.

The idea is to get as close as possible to 975 with driver + just enough fuel to provide a sample for the scrutineers.

15. Bomber604

Bomber604 Forum Member

Some circuit's scales are just old & haven't been calibrated for years (Oulton & Cadwell being prime examples) but if your championship uses it's own corner style scales at meetings then inconsistencies could be explained by them being set up on uneven ground.
    Having said that, they should be consistent through the course of a meeting.

16. Fasteddymini Forum Member

Removal the sun roof has two benefits...it will not only lose weight but also lower the Centre of Gravity

17. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member

1 too many beers before i posted that, i didnt explain myself!

the car with me and fuel weighs about 995kg, so the car without me is about 922kg, less 15kg? for the sunroof so that still leaves a big difference. i think once the sunroof is gone i will be on or around the minimum.

18. jasongtr Forum Member

just had mine weighed (wasnt going to do it until im ready but couldnt wait after reading the thread)

spec:

1988 3 door big bumper MK2 Golf Gti

1.8t BAM engine
    17" BBS RC wheels
    Koni adjustable suspension
    eibach ARB's
    safety devices full roll cage
    drivers race seat - but std passenger one (soon to have 2x new suzukas with alloy mounts)
    porsche front calipers and 2 piece discs
    interior stripped - except front carpet (no dash but still has heater box etc)
    front and rear strut braces
    half a tank of fuel

it has a sunroof so that could go
    std panels all round and full glass

995kg

19. f2 ed Forum Member

Had my 6k Ibiza ABF on the weigh bridge today

1043 Kg

That an air-con, sunroof modle with the back seats, spare wheel, rear wiper & rear trim removed

20. TrackCab16v Forum Member

heaviest fattest mother f. o .o ker in the mk1 camp , this is why i need 200 brake , just to hang in ther on track , plus the bad arodynamics , plus its harder to stop . great information on weights, the only advantage that i got is , err well err , nothing .arr thers one thing , when you are all sweating yaa a .r ss e s off on a hot day ,its brilliant bombing around the circuit with roof down ,nothing like it, unless you got 2 wheels , bit sad , but worth it imo and i still use the car every day too.lol lol