Mk2/3/Ibiza/Corrado works-style chassis engine mounts - food for track prep thought?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by A.N. Other, Oct 28, 2010.

1. steve r

steve r Forum Member

A few more pics of the parts from a Mk1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. markb16v Forum Member

I'm in the process of fitting the chassis leg mounts to my mk2 atm, does the front mount get binned when fitting the 2 side mounts and dogbone?

also are the poly bushes available for mk1 mounts anymore?

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

4. Fray16v Forum Member

5. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Copied over from my build thread:

Some of the progress on the VW Motorsport style mounts.

[​IMG]

This lot is going to get welded together to form the lower dogbone. Solid 40mm bar machined to accept a Mk2 golf front wishbone front poly bush, 40mm bar also machined to match the OD of the bush sleeve and then 25mm OD 2.5mm wall seamless tube slides onto it. Seamless tube will be cut to length and the heavy duty eye end threaded sleeve also slides in. Rubber cover to protect the eye end.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice to see one of these coming along Steve. Any welding assistance needed, give me a shout :thumbup:

Or are you having it TIGed 'in Surrey'? :p

7. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Cheers,

Will MIG it myself.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  8. steve r

steve r Forum Member

small amount of progress on this today, I started on the engine bracket:

[​IMG]

There was a only single threaded hole on the block to pick up on so i drilled and tapped another (on the left):

[​IMG]

next step to make and weld on the sections to attach to the eye end, then make the subframe attachment bracket.

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice to see this being done. How do you plan to make the subframe attachment?

A nice thick section of block skirt there. I wonder of there is possibly more meat avail on the ABF.

10. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Plan to bolt up the eye end and set the length of the link, make cardboard templates for the subframe attachment plates. Transfer them to steel and weld on. :)

The skirt on the block is probably about 18mm thick, I'm considering making the bracket 'U' shaped so the bolt goes through and a nut can be put on the end of the bolt but i'm not too sure if its required or will gain much.

For the tapped hole (10x1.5mm) I drilled a pilot hole in the bracket on the pillar drill to ensure it was square and bolted the bracket on to use as a kind of drill guide. This helped ensure the hole i drilled in the block was square.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

An alternative would be a T-section on its side?

But I was just starting to wonder if the vertical section of the 'L' would flex because of the small gap to the block, that possibly being a good thing, but then again it could fatigue over time and there is some allowed flex in the bush.

The nut & bolt U-section would I think eliminate this, and a T-section on its side would place a lot of importance on the bolts being tight so the vertical section of the 'T' isn't trying to shear the bolt heads off.

I am sure the 'L' section could converted to 'U', thus not losing the work so far?

12. mk1. Forum Junkie

I wonder why vw changed from this early front mount to the more troublesome mount?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. danster Forum Addict

No doubt to reduce NVH (noise, vibration and harshness).

Those older style captive mounts are good if you can find them. :thumbup:

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

15. gingernuts Forum Member

Nice find Chris, that is worth investigating. might ring round the scrappies for one of these and go have a look when im home. would definately be worth a trial!

16. turbotommy Forum Member

f@Kinell!!!,thats some find tbh. just what i've been looking for too :thumbup:
    the front bracket is of no interest really as its just like a mk3 8v but the left & right sides pure gold :lol:
    Probably been missed by the performance crowd as its just a cabrio (only the hubs were of interest to me in the past lol) walked past a few of these without a second glance [8(]
    It will not happen again,more info is NEEDED and a deliving into part numbers etc.. to fully get to the bottom of these mounts and how to retro fit or mount them.
    Doesn't bother me too much really though if the chassis rails are different as they will weld in without much bother.
    Any chance of this or the other thread can be made a sticky? the info is too good :clap:

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

we have a cabby engine complete with subframe 'in stock', it still uses the standard subframe mounts for the main engine mounting, the extra side mounts either side are used in addition to the normal mk3 mounts. maybe to help stiffen the floppy chassis by tieing it to the engine block?

the mk3 chassis legs are pretty different so its not going to be a direct fit, but then that doesnt stop peeps welding up mk4 mounts to mk2 chassis. should be easier than that for sure as the mk3 isnt a million miles away from a mk2 unlike a mk4 :thumbup:

mk2 chassis legs are a lot weaker than you would think so this might be a good mod!

edit: the downside is any front/side impact will transfer the forces to the engine block, worst case it could damage your engine. also if you take a front side nudge it could tweak both legs rather than just the side that got hit!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Anyone considered using Mk4 engine mounts and bolting them to top of chassis leg? There are some very nice race spec ones to be had....but have never seen one attached to an 02a box and an early style block

19. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

If you can source the engine mount you can get a replacement reinforced insert from here, check out the other race stuff they carry too.

20. tom.rich Forum Member

Before I pillage a Mk4 for mounts like the J-Tech Mk2 has, does Idorap still make those works style mounts shown on the first page?

Cool link there too Jagermeister :thumbup: