MK1 Golf built in 83 bought in '03 and and still not completed!!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Collo, May 2, 2007.

1. Collo Forum Member

Dug the old girl out of storage today, give it a spring clean and a super resin polish,ran it up and down the drive a few times and then popped it back into the garage!!

2. Collo Forum Member

A productive day yesterday saw me finish up with these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now just got to get round to that front end rebuild!!

3. Collo Forum Member

Been a while since last update but have so far cleaned new gearbox
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then imported new mounts from the fatherland

[​IMG]

purchased seat cable conversion

[​IMG]

and never been 100% happy with my brake set up and hope this is going to solve that

[​IMG]

So really need to get a move on as I need to strip out entire front ,fit new control arms, Ex Reeves front A/R/B, alloy top mounts, then O2J and bias pedal box inplace of servo and bias valves

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  4. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

Think you better bring the shifter with you!!!

5. Collo Forum Member

it would be cruel to tease you and then take it away :lol::lol:

6. Collo Forum Member

Well after meeting up with Nick ,he now has a new present for his toy and I have nearly all the parts to complete my 02J conversion, so hopefullly in the next few months we should be up and running and whilst it will always lag behind in the power stakes compared to some of the Mk1's on here I still love it

7. Collo Forum Member

Going away shortly to have 02J and cable shift(along with lightenend/balanced flywheel and clutch), Alloy Top mounts, Front lower seam welded wishbones, Custom front A/R/B(Ex Reeves) and Bias pedal Box(Ex NickBishBashBosch) for a very very reasonable price should be completed a lot quicker than wating for me or hell to freeze over LOL

8. Collo Forum Member

Oooh been told that it can go in next week !! [:D] very excited and looking forward to a great summer of tooling around in this!!

9. Collo Forum Member

Its in the garage as we speak not sure on return but Jim does not like to hang about !!

10. Collo Forum Member

Well quick update 020 box, clutch,KR flywheel, brake servo,brake master cylinder,2 x brake bias valves,gearbox rod linkage and Bonrath top mounts all off or out
    Lightenend + balanced flywheel,clutch, 02J box in loosely! picked up little things like adaptors etc from Rally Designs on friday so good progress being made.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  11. Collo Forum Member

So a few more weeks rush by and we are 90-95% there all gearbox/clutch etc complete. We had to do a liitle cut,shut and reweld on the Autocavan servo mount to angle the brake bias valves away from the 16v Distributor, these now have two lovely remote reservoirs mounted to the inner wing with the header tank moved further to the front next to the washer bottle.

Solid alloy top mounts fitted required a little rework off the inner wings but all in now with a little bit of neg camber.

Mk4 gear linkage fitted with new cable ends from TPS for 22.21 inc Vat and finally the ex-reeves custom A/R/B to go on today after a little bit of under floor modification.Will get pic's up once bay is all tidy and clean

12. Collo Forum Member

little teaser shots!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Collo Forum Member

Well now seriously deliberating whether this will go on the road this year what with the crappy weather!!! [:s] only normally tax it from Apr-Sept and we are in July already! been buying a few new items such as S/S fuel tank straps and Eibach Camber plates for the rear so might as well get these fitted and have suspension set up ready to blast straight out the garage next year:thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  14. fthaimike Forum Addict

look forward to it

15. Collo Forum Member

She's alive!! been up and down the road and a few full lock turns with no incidents so all good on that front ,service and cambelt to complete and then 2012 is done!! already started assembling parts for the next upgrade Brembo 4 pot with Seat 305x28mm discs for 2013!!

16. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Thats great Mart :thumbup: Would love to see this in the flesh one day :thumbup:

17. Collo Forum Member

Sure we can work something out for 2013:thumbup:

18. Collo Forum Member

so its been a while so thought I would update with a few pictures

so one of many problems ex NickBishBashBosch Bias Brake pedal box will not fit!!

[​IMG]

so Jim gets busy with the angle grinder my beautifully rare Autocavan brake bar!!!

[​IMG]

and now we have this

[​IMG]

remote brake reservoirs needed a new home

[​IMG]

Custom Made A/R/B ex Reeves Mk1 hmm custom gives you a clue to how that is going to fit!! [:D]

[​IMG]

new floor pan mounting plates

[​IMG]

Chassis rails trimmed and rewelded

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MK4 cable shifter for 02J in place and secured

[​IMG]

Solid alloy top mounts with Negative Camber

[​IMG]

Nearly finished new coilover springs and a service and I think we are there cannot thank Jim enough for what he has one and gonna shamelessly plug his services http://jimsgarageservices.co.uk/

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  19. Collo Forum Member

Picked the car up on Tuesday it is transformed!! it really used to feel nervous on the road with road camber changes etc now it feels so steady and planted ,gearbox and shifter is 100% and very positive feel to it. New brakes are superb with no servo a bit more pressure required but have a great feel and once warm are nigh on unbeatable!!

20. pedro_snt New Member

Do you know the ral number of the gulf blue and gulf orange? I'm looking forward to paint a fixed in those colours!