Budget garage build

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by 1990, Jul 5, 2013.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I've decided its time for a garage. I've read the planning portal and spoken to the local planning department and have decided to build a 30mtr/sq 2.5mtr tall garage.

I'm going to source all my own materials and pay a local bricky labour only at 150 per day. He reckons its 3 days work with me labouring once the base is down.

So far i've decided to have it 7.9 x 3.8mtrs and have started to dig out for the base ehich will be 150mm reinforced concrete.

It will be slow like all my projects ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The scruffy wall at the back is just there while i backfill the old driveway, i'll be raising that up and having a play house behind the garage.

2. dub303 Forum Member

Did you have to pay the planning dept?
    Still not got around to building a car port - no permission needed - then sneakily making it into a garage. Thnk I need permission for that and heard it was 300 or so.

3. 1990

No, i didn't have to pay them. There are certain things and if you dont exceed them you can build it. The cant be attached to the house, cant take up more than 30sq/mtrs of floor area and cant be taller than 2.5mtrs if they are near a boundary.

I'm going to start cracking the old driveway up tomorow, and take the washing in ;) lol

4. dub303 Forum Member

Hmmm. I would break pretty much all of those rules, apart from size. One end would only stretch from your pyjamas to your mrs' knickers lol

5. 1990

I'll put some of my mums knickers on there, they are much bigger ;)

I'm looking at garage doors now but am a bit puzzled. The garage will be 3.8mtrs and 2.5mtrs tall with a gable ended pitched roof. I was thinking about a roller shutter door like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121137987056?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_569wt_846 but the box it lives in is 305x305mm so if the garage door was quite wide and only 2.0mtrs tall the box for the doors would be a minimum of 2.305mtrs tall at the side so the slope on my roof would bee less that 20cm each side so only about 1/10.

Would I be better with a sectional door? I cant have a swing outwards/upwards one because it would swing over the public footpath.

6. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I was in the exact same predicament when we built our garage. It replaced an old one and so we went to the max we could: 3m wide and 10m long with a height of 2.5m. We contacted the planning office but they told us it was absolutely fine and didn't need permission.

We hired a mini digger for a weekend and dug all the footings, then hired a mixer and 4 of us built it over a few weekends. I would recommend fibre-cement roof sheets to keep condensation down too!

We bought a manual roller door, the roller is massive hangs down (enough to get a mk2 in just!) and doing it again I would get hinged doors. As I've put a car in it and it's not going to be moved in a while it's not a problem but I think in a few years time I'll apply for permission to raise the roof by 1-2ft in a box around the door and raise it up so it's hidden in the roof.

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

150 a day is fair. I have just paid a bricky 300 cash for a days work, and I provided all the materials

8. 1990

I think i'll have a look at the sectional doors or even ask Trev about his. I was quite impressed with the price. He built our porch and kitchen extension so i know he is good.

Today i brought the washing in and boke up the first section of the old drive
    [​IMG]

You can see the shape its going to be now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Wish I had the confidence and knowledge to do this kind of work! The best I can do at the moment is build a large chicken coop and I haven't even finished that! :lol:

Yeah I love sectional doors. I got mine through PAB. If you look at my garage build thread you can see photos I took when I was installing it which give you an idea of all the bits involved. Happy to help and advise where I can.

Anyway, never mind the planning department - has your wife agreed to this?

10. 1990

Yes but there are some ifs and buts which basically mean the decking needs to be moved, the rabbit part gets bigger, a big playhouse has to be built and the shed (a wooden one not the vr6) has to go.

This is the other end, that white fence needs extending all the way accross then the decking is going up to it with a slightly higher fence.
    [​IMG]

The whole place looks like a bombs hit it.

11. 1990

Did you have to get planning permission to go over 2.5mtrs tall? If you garage opening was taller or smaller would the door still sit flush or could it end upleaning back at the top with the last section still on the horizontal rails?

12. 1990

Bit more progress today.

My apprentice got to work with the breaker
    [​IMG]

And we were soon left with a big pile of concrete
    [​IMG]

I'll have to cart all that to the tip :(

13. priceygti Forum Member

good progress buddy

just a quick suggestion why don't you break up the concrete into smaller bits and use it as a hardcore base as no doubt you're going to need to put a new concrete pad down?

would save you a lot of back breaking trips to the skip

14. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice to see you've got the mrs doing all the hard work. Top man ;)

Would love my own garage like that. Will be watching this with interest :)

15. 1990

The ground underneath it is like MOT so I think i'll get rid of the big stuff and run the wacker over the smaller stuff.

What can I say??? I'm a big believer in equal rights lol lol

16. dub303 Forum Member

Anyone think of this when they saw that ?

[​IMG]

17. 1990

lol yeah!!! I should have done a video when she started o sweat lol

I found a guy for the concrete. A local farmer who has a big pile of hardcore. He dropped me off a trailor to fill and will collect it when its full.
    [​IMG]

The other end of the garden is looking a bit tidier now, the decking is done:
    [​IMG]

And the rabbirs have there own mini Teletubby land:
    [​IMG]

So the trailor is half full, should finish it tomorow then I need to make the base 150mm lover than ground level before I can order the concrte. I just got a fortune cookie that read "All will go well with your new project" lol :thumbup:

18. dubb Forum Member

Awesome thread, good on you for doing most of the work yourself!

The rabbits area is awesome lol!

19. myfast New Member

Very nice looking updates :clap:... and I know first hand that any type of concrete is always rough.

Every Vdub needs a garage.

20. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Looking forward to seeing how this comes along.

We are half looking to move soon, and I am keen to get a place with space to build a garage from scratch and get it insulated. etc.

Hope the back is better?