fitting a log burner* Heating pipe question added*pg2

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by Collie, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Collie Forum Junkie

OK chaps. Her indoors has informed me we are having a log burner.

she wants it fitting where the old back boiler was. which was taken out last year. [​IMG]

It used to be a real fire then gas, now just this gaping hole.(plaster boarded over temp)

I was thinking of tiling the bottom, plaster board the sides and tile then fit a new register plate above(metal or fire board?), plus a hearth.

the hole is currently reduced visualy as that plaster board encrouches past the brick work in all directions

just had a quick measure up and look, the current board in the register plate postition look totaly ruined. also it looks like there are brick above it, but i cant see a lintel!!!!!!!. surely no cowboy would stick a bit of board in place of a lintel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I don't know anything about log-burners, being all-electric, but I love your wall-papers! lol

Collie likes this.
  3. gasco

gasco Paid Member Paid Member

4. Collie Forum Junkie

i know stella its classy

5. Mr Funk Forum Member

We're fitting a 5kw multi fuel burner in the lounge, big enough for us. Couple of our neighbours have got them and they're so efficient

6. dub303 Forum Member

Useful info on there. Wanted one for a while so this will help when we finally get around to it. :thumbup:

7. VWPowered Forum Member

i've got a log burner, only cos gas is too expensive and its not on tap where i live, i got mine quiet cheap but its doing the job, remember that 70% of your heat goes back up your chimney so stepping it into the room a little gives you more heat in the room itself, but well recommended

Collie likes this.
  8. TJ2727 Forum Member

We had one in our old place, loved it this time of year. Cant beat it with a few glasses of red.

We did look at fitting one to the current place but have not quite got round to actually doing anything about it yet.

One thing to think about seeing as how you have the pipe work there is have you looked into getting a log burner with a back boiler built into it? that way when you have the fire lit you could be putting some heat into the rest of the system / hot water tank. One thing we did find with the old place is it did make the rest of the house feel cold in comparison when you popped out to get a second bottle of red. :)

Jommanjo and Collie like this.
  9. dub303 Forum Member

A mate is getting one that has a small oven on top, good enough for stews with a bit of practice, and if you have space on top you can heat a kettle for free brews!

Collie likes this.
  10. Collie Forum Junkie

Ok, so on Saturday i thought i would make a start, the plumber told me that the pipes were dead. he lied. one felt hot, so must still be part of the system.

i am now concerned about the gas pipe has this been diconected properly.

which one is it ?what bore of pipe usually went to the old back boiler that was there?

11. Stevepd Forum Member

Mr O'Reiley?

Collie likes this.
  12. mercedeslimos Forum Member

You need Mr. Stubbs in to sort that out!

13. gasco

The gas pipe is possibly the one at the back 15mm dia looks like its been flatten and hopefully solder at the end. So could well be live. The 22mm pipe with the drain valve on is cetainly part of your existing heating system if its getting hot.

Collie likes this.
  14. Collie Forum Junkie

thats a big concern. more pics to follow. thanks for the help

why are they still there? should they not be re routed wheree the boiler is. they both appear to go upstairs where the new combi is? i assume they are part of the ch/flow/return

that 15mm pipe appears to be sleaved down from 22mm (other side of wall )then heads down under floor boards. and back towards the gas meter. i will next check whats happened at the meter end hopefully i will find a terminated pipe that end .

is that gas pipe flattening the industry standard?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  15. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

my mate in France has one that has a flat 50x50cm top which is used as a griddle plate- its great for fry-ups. just an idea- looks like yours is in the living room whereas his was in the kitchen.

16. gasco

The ch flow and return pipes are possibly still there as they are feeding the radiators on the ground floor. Does the flow and rtn pipes carry on and go down under the floor boards on the other side of the brick work.

NO flattening of a gas pipe is really bad practice should have a solder cap end if you cant access it or compression cap is fine if you have access to cap.

Ideally you need to get all the pipes removed rerouted so you have a nice clean builders opening.

17. Collie Forum Junkie

the pipes are linked and bothe head bck upstairs as one which is what is confusing me.

but i think i have it sused.

the downstairs rads are fed from upstairs via pipes down the walls in trunking.

the old back boiler must have fed and returned via those 2 which are now linked there .

i would need to lift floor boards to sort it upstairs i think. i guess. why its not been done by the plumber

18. gasco

Thats probably why they joined the flow and rtn there so they didn't have to lift floorboards upstairs. So you could get rid of them or just join them together on the other side of the opening. They linked the pipe together just to continue the loop. the pipe that joins them together could be a rad so you have flow in and rtn out. This might help you understand a bit more.

19. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

ive had a multi fuel burner for 10 yrs wouldnt be without it.if youve got access to timber offcuts "like me" even better.mine is
    5 kw and heats all downstairs of my 3 bed semi no problem.after a couple of hours its too much and the hall door has to be openened up.to let some heat out.a separate removable panel on register plate is what a lot of chimney sweeps like its better access for them.

20. Collie Forum Junkie

gas man coming to remove the gas tomorrow cant wait to get cracking