Brake pads for track cars. Suggestions and feedback.

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Nige, Sep 26, 2012.

1. jonny6 Forum Member

I know this is a " brake pad " thread but I'm really surprised how little mention the discs have had . Surely different brake disc qualities and design will alter heat cycles and ultimately wear ?

2. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

ds3000,however they are over the 10% of Coefficient of friction from oe pads for road use,;)

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Back to this thread - need to replace my rear pads for sprinting - standard pads fall apart but I dont want a high torque race pad as I dont need the xtra rear brake force - what I need is a rear pad with a bit more heat resistance to normal but no more bite.

Fast road pagids are perfect, and were cheap, but no longer available.

So - what do we reckon?

Tempted by Tarox Strada pads......

Dont want anything like DS2500's as too agressive.

4. Prawn Forum Member

What about a Mintex 1144 Rob? That's always been seen as a 'fast road' but not trackday type of pad

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Good shout.just checked that out and discovered Mintex F6R which sounds perfect!

http://www.dpr-motorsport-parts.com/contents/en-uk/d10_Brakes_Technical.html

Mintex F6R was formulated to address specific applications needing medium to low torque with a high temperature threshold. These applications are almost all rear axle applications for front wheel drive and for live axle rear wheel drive applications. High heat tolerances with consistent repeatability were the two major requirements for this formulation. Used in Endurance racing, Group N, Touring Cars etc. Good temperature resistance but without the high friction coefficient that could over-brake the rear of a Caterham fitted with the standard front calipers

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  6. samfish

samfish Forum Member

There's a graph somewhere on the web.... for the Mintex F series.
    Great if you want a certain 'feel' and initial bite from the pedal, depending on servo/non servo and pedal travel etc etc.

Ferodo have a 'fast road' pad that could work on the rear. It was introduced to be road legal, so has less bite but can cope with a trackday... I forget the name.

7. Prawn Forum Member

Ah yes, ferrodo do a little known DS2000, and also something I believe is called a DS-Premier or similar, below Ds2500 levels.

8. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Think it's ds performance:thumbup:

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

DS Performance has a relatively high 0.45 Cf.

Mintex F6R is not available for Mk2 golf fitment.

This sounds interesting, but again no Mk2 golf fitment listed:

Cobalt XR5 is a specialized low torque material designed specifically for rear-axle applications on vehicles exhibiting a rapid rate and high magnitude of weight transfer under braking, e.g. FWD or low-inertia RWD vehicles. Solid initial bite with a perfectly flat torque profile, transitioning to a negative slope (i.e. negative torque gain versus temperature) virtually eliminates rear lock-up. Cobalt XR5 is the rear-axle compound of choice for championship winning drivers and teams in Grand Am Continental Tire Series, SCCA Spec-Miata, Showroom Stock and IT classes

https://www.cobaltfriction.com/Articles.asp?ID=252

Tarox Strada still looking the favourite - 0.37-0.42 Cf

10. samfish

samfish Forum Member

You can always get the Mintex ones made to suit. We had some made to fit willwoods, which wasn't on the shelf. I think you only need to get two or three sets made.

11. Prawn Forum Member

So, a year or two on, have peoples opinions changed on rear pads for track use in our FWD cars?

I've recently replaced my rear brakes with fresh calipers, and stock pagid OE discs and pads.

I'm wondering if I should give these a try on track, or just stick a half decent uprated rear pad in there to cope better with the heat.

I've got roughly 380kg on each front wheel and ~190kg on each rear, so I definitely don't want anything too hardcore, but reading Robs above comments I worry these stock pads may fall apart.

12. pingman New Member

with compounds changing all the time it''s probably a good time to revisit this, what's your preferences people? :)

13. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

For a track car, it depends on your budget, your confidence, desired feedback from the brake pedal, whether you wish for the pad to work from cold, the overall weight of the car and what are the driven wheels.

From there various compounds and brands can be bought and evaluated.

The brands that we have here are:
    Ferodo
    Hawk
    Mintex
    Pagid
    Tarox
    CL

Each of the above has the option of a 'race' type pad compound.

15. LeLapin New Member

For what isn't worth, I have been very satisfied with porterfield race pads and shoes. 5days of track days, one rallycross and one TSD rally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPR and jamesa like this.
  16. jamesa Forum Junkie

HPR likes this.
  17. Toyotec

I have sent them an email for more details, linking this thread in the note :thumbup:

18. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

All in all its very hard to give general advice on brake pads...with various cars, car weights, brake balance, std or uprated brakes and various driving styles, some brake extreme late, wile others brake earlier and stay longer on the brakes, what builds up more temperature due more time for heat transfer into the pads, calipers , discs and brake fluid....
    and there are the various disciplines ... some circuits / tracks can be fast and flowing while others are very hard on the brakes, start / stop all the time, what means less cool down time between each brake action.
    and there is the driver preferance ... about brake feel, etc
    Apart of pad wear and disc wear, area of friction material...

A pad need to work within its intended temperature range... too cold and some pads hardly stop ... while too hot. pads are glazing soon... what result in pad fade...its where the brake system need bigger diameter and thicker brake discs. Vented disc with more vanes means better cooling but also more weight, and it need fresh air feeded towards the inside of the disc. btw also to cool the wheel bearing.

19. Toyotec

Agree, brake pad advise or suggestions are pretty subjective.
    However a few of us have tried different brands on the same car and same braking set up, same fluid and do regularly drive our vehicles on the track. So we can do some subjective correlation as it relates to the friction characteristics of the the different pad compounds.

20. LeLapin New Member

Not disagreeing with comments.

Another important point is to maintain balance. In my case this was hard without a rear drum solution. Porterfield provided that option. Ran drums due to disc conversion weight detriment.

I was surprised how uniform wear and output was thru temp range. 30F-90f ambient and with blue rotors.

I run DE events with stock US GTI sizing. I do have a prop valve but with stock'ish hp. Still outbrake most DE guys in porsches.

Good discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017