New Garage

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by TSR 2.1, Sep 18, 2014.

1. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

That is really quite a slick idea linking the two together and yet getting to run them independently if needed. I have read about guys linking two of the wee 25L direct drives ones to get more CFM's etc but the prospect of running two of these at the same time :(

2. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Right so the work has continued, have had to side step the work on the tiles for just now as have had to get some other things done round the house etc.

But had the sparky round to fit in the sockets, he did a cracking job and as the dado rail has 3 separate tracks in it I am going to plumb in a air line into the lower one.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

3. TJ2727 Forum Member

Well, I am very green eyed over this and the amount of work done.

Are you really saying that these tiles will withstand more than the concrete?

PS: we got this electrical trunk stuff fitted into the office and one of the directors had a fit when he got the bill.

Keep the photos coming.

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

They look similar to what we have in the kitchen. Knocked part of a chimney breast out last year and dropped a full brick from about 7ft up. Was like slow-mo waiting for it to hit and smash a tile to bits...not a single mark...

I want the same in the garage I'll hopefully be building next year. How much do they cost per m2?

5. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I have not added it all up (might be best if I did not really :( ) but ball park is going to be about 17-20 per m2. I have got 37m2 to do and I did buy a extra couple of meters just in case I broke any or there was a shipping issue. But all going ok so far.

I did look at ceramic tiles which would have been a good chunk less but they are no where as close as hardy as these. I picked up the angle grinder the other day that had a 1mm cutting disk on it, just to take a corner off one of them and it hardly marked it.

IF you are going to go down this route one thing to keep in mind is you will use a lot more adhesive than you will think as I have been "buttering" the back of the tile as well as the floor so getting through adhesive like a mad thing. SO SO glad I bough a proper power mixer at the start.

StuMc likes this.
  6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Sh*t a brick! I'm looking at 66m2... :o

Tiling is not my forte and any wonkiness would drive me mad, so I'll be paying a man... :lol:

7. blis Forum Member

That one's for my charger, this ones for my light, this one a coffee machine...

Ok, so now you're rubbing it in.... drools over that power rail!!! Love it and very very envious!

8. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Well I gave this a fair bit if research and when it comes to large garages or in your case very large there are not many cheap options when it comes to a floor. Yep standard floor paint is cheap but it is not much use if you are looking to have something that will last. The proper two part Epoxy paint is a lot better but I would have been still looking at 250 ish to do that and you need to have a totally clear garage for a good few days.

9. steve r

steve r Forum Member

StuMc likes this.
  10. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I came across these while on my hunt for a flooring solution. These are looking almost perfect... But for me and my intended use I was a bit worried about a few things.

- welding, these can't hold up to hot metal work too well.
    - oil spills, I was worried about oil getting under these from the joints and soaking into the concrete.

Anyway, it is done, all the floor is now tilled just need to do the grouting next did a bit tonight, another big messy job :(

But have also got all the new strip lights up on the ceiling and with 7 Philips 4' strip lights installed it is perfect no shadows at all just perfect lighting to work under.

Also got the CAT5 installed and the radiators hung on the wall ready for the plumber next week.

11. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Cat5? What are you running through it?

12. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Just the www to the PC. Handy for looking up stuff.

13. TJ2727 Forum Member

What has happened with this project ?
    What else is planed for the garage? A computer in there I can see as handy :)

TSR 2.1 likes this.
  14. 692DPG New Member

One word - Epic! :thumbup: I take my hat off to you, I've been talking about tiling my garage for10 years but always seem to have a school trip to pay for instead!

TSR 2.1 likes this.
  15. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Thanks for the kind words and continued motivation to push on.

Well have been busy inside the new place getting walls knocked down and a new kitchen etc getting fitted so not really managed much in the garage. BUT the removal of the old kitchen did provide some new storage :) have been painted grey to match the bottom of the walls.

Also got the PC set up and working
    Radiator hung ready for the plumber to hook into the central heating
    All the tiles are down on the floor now and I have started the grouting too.
    And 90% of the pipework is in for the compressor.

Looking forward to the rad getting plumbed in as it stands at the moment even with the cold snap we have had up this way the temp in the garage has not dropped bellow 15C yet. And zero drafts or leeks from the garage door :)
    [​IMG]

16. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

This is coming together nicely, good work!

I haven't got near enough room in mine or space to fully dedicate to a car garage.

17. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Thanks yes it is all quite time consuming and it is taking a lot of time to not rush it and wait for the right bits to come and then get enough time to do it properly.

well you will see from the first photo I did not have much space at the last house, garage wise. AND I did buy a good size shed to put all the "stuff" into like bikes etc and we are lucky that all the garden furniture etc is now stored in the summer house. So I have pulled rank and the garage is now just for garage stuff. Or as I am now calling it the "Gentleman Activity Centre" :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  18. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Well as a way of a small update on thing from the garage, I have done a huge amount in there of late, but I have managed to put up a 3m long sticker, which was quite a changeling operation to do on my own. I have also got a non MK2 based project on the go now. If there is interest happy to keep you all updated. [​IMG]

beetie, Sirguydo, mat-mk3 and 2 others like this.
  19. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Looks interesting

What's the story with the jag replica project?

20. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Well a long story short, got to that stage of mid life crises and I was looking at what to get as a toy, but what to get I had got the short list down to 997, or a Aston Vantage. I decided that a 997 was not special enough. So that left the Aston. Then I was talking to my Dad who reminded me that each year at Le Mans I go on about how stunning the Jaguar C-Type is.

I had a good look about and it looks like I can build this replica for the same cost as the Aston ahhhhh so the trigger has been pulled.

notenoughtime and Sirguydo like this.