1.8T conversion downpipes

Discussion in 'Trackslag.com' started by Trackslag, Apr 27, 2012.

1. frenchy 44 New Member

The down pipe mine field has the better of me.
    I am hoping to start fitting an AUM in to my MK1 Golf this month.
    I have pretty much everything with the exception of a down pipe and intercooler.
    After reading on Trackslag's site RE K03s I am back to square one with the down pipe scenario.
    Would someone be able to advise me on an appropriate route for a suitable downpipe ?
    Any help/input much appreciated.

2. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

I would sell the k03s and put it towards a ko4 conversion. Any downpipe made to fit the space will be a restriction to a k03s in the long run.
    Good luck with your decision :-)

frenchy 44 likes this.
  3. taylord149 New Member

its a shame you guys don't do your 2 1/2" exhaust as a split as i only need a rear section just over the beam :-( i am sure you will take off with the down pipes though as your exhausts are great quality too.

4. frenchy 44 New Member

Thank you for the reply, So presumably the K04 mounts differently, requires different manifold etc ? Injectors ?
    And this would map OK with a AUM ?
    Sorry for what would appear to be dumb questions. I obviously need to do a lot more research. Ultimately though I want this to be right from the start, not just thrown in and make do.
    I am also a little confused with the K03s as another fairly well known supplier of downpipes for this conversion sell a pipe to suit this turbo.[:s]
    Not suggesting for a second that I think your incorrect, quite the opposite ! I actually like the honesty in the advert stating the said configuration is VERY close to the steering gator.

Like I said I want this to be right.
    Thanks for your help.:thumbup:

5. carlg Forum Member

Hi, yes a K04 mounts slightly diffrently and has a different manifold, larger injectors (360cc off the top of my head)

i run a mk2 so not got any experience with a mk1 however the k03 (and k03s) the exhaust goes directly back towards the back of the car the k04 comes off the side.

nice thing about the k04 is the extra power that is avalible however you need all of the water lines (even the feed from the pump) and oil lines from a k04 car as they are all different.

no idea about mapping i assume its possible but i run a standalone ecu

I hope that helps,

Carl

6. RBPE Forum Member

Some of the VAG crew here are running these and the Qpeng ones and they prefer these ones! Kudos

7. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

Thanks for sharing that :)