Converting wheel bolts to studs and nuts

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Apr 4, 2005.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Reviving this thread, any recommendations on stud conversion kits? I've googled the ones Nige posted above but their website doesn't seem to have any products available on there when you go to the shop section.

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Demon tweeks/ JJC or eBay do a decent selection I just got long studs and nuts and thread locked them in :thumbup:

3. mickey marrows Forum Member

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  4. dubspy Forum Member

i have a set of brand new garage midnight m14 stud kit that i would be willing to sell.

5. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I did see those Garage Midnight ones but wasn't sure if they were worth the money. They are for my Mk2 so I would need M12 wouldn't I?

6. mickey marrows Forum Member

Yeah, but they do M12 kits.. and, as I'm sure you've found, studs conversions are not cheap. They're worth the extra money when you fit them..

7. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Is what the advantage of running studs and nuts opposed to regular bolts? I guess it makes F1style pit stops quicker [:D]

8. andipandi Paid Member Paid Member

9. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

They look good too.

I swapped from the Shorter studs to a set of longer bullet nose ACS once last year. I needed longer studs due to the thicker brake bell. The bullet nose ones are MUCH easier to fit bolts to, you can`t cross thread them which makes it dead simple :thumbup:

Savagesam, it just makes it much easier to refit the wheels without trying to balance it on the spigot, reach for a bolt and fir it without the wheel slipping or rotating. For a road car, I can`t see the point but for a track car where you are changing wheels fairly often I recommend them.

10. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

I hope this is a fitting place to ask this...

I'm looking to run Revolution wheels which have flat faced inserts (albeit somewhat mullered from some previous owner running some sort of chamfered hardware) . I am going to have to source replacement inserts, and from some google'ing it seems this brand of wheel require flat faced sleeved nuts. I want to run m12 x 1.5 studs fairly long in length (its a mk2 Polo track car and I want the ability to run spacers). So I've been looking for m12 x 1.5 sleeved flat face nuts - the only problem is everything that comes up (whether or not referencing Revolution wheels) are closed end. For the length of studs I want to run I would need open ended nuts.

Anyone else come up against this issue? Have I missed something? Or could closed nuts be machined to convert to open ends?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  11. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

As you say revolutions need sleeved bolts just buy the correct length stud and you should be fine. I have found revolutions sometimes a bit fiddly to get the nuts to go on with ease and I don't think they are particularly light compared to some other so maybe worth considering on a track car

12. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

Thanks, the reason for the wheels is they are local and are already being stored in my unit, and from just moving them around the weight saving over all the other wheels I have is noticeable, so they will be staying - provided I find a mounting solution I am happy with.

The issue with studs is I have a few brake setups in stock, and don't want to be tied down to just one as some required spacers - which is why I want to run long studs with open nuts.

Can anyone advise if opening the end of closed nuts would be a safety issue? Thanks.

13. mickey marrows Forum Member

My old RFX's used Grp 4 nuts, which were all M12 open ended sleeve nuts...

Rapid_Gav likes this.
  14. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

That sounds promising! Can you recommend a place to get them?

Thanks.

15. mickey marrows Forum Member

If you google Grp 4 nuts (with safesearch turned on LOL) and plenty come up..

16. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

My Google game must be weak :( I cant for the life of me find sleeved open ended M12 x 1.5 flat faced Grp 4 nuts... and that's with and without safesearch!

A link would be much appreciated.

17. mickey marrows Forum Member

The wheel should have steel Group 4 inserts, are your holes just aluminium?? Group 4 nuts have a conical mounting face to match the group 4 insert

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  18. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

I don't think my wheels have had a good life...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That is one of the washer/insert things removed

Looks like these washers/inserts have been run the wrong way round and a chamfered bolt has been horsed against them.

With the insert/washers removed the counter bore of the wheel is approx 27mm dia, with a 17mm dia hole which is 30mm deep.

Does that tally up with needing Grp 4 inserts and chamfered open nuts?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  19. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

anyone.... any advise or pointers at all would be much appreciated.

20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018