THE Mk2 Golf Definitive Wide Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by A.N. Other, Aug 17, 2010.

1. joeshaw123 New Member

After some deliberation I've decided I'm sticking with narrow track due to a set of wheels I may be obtaining... Easier to run 10mm spacers than to make my arches wider to accommodate the wheels on wide track.

My question now is that I need a set of hubs that don't have built in carriers. Will any off a 4x100 mk3 do, ABS or not, as long as its the non-integrated carrier type hub? Regardless of 256 solid/vented brakes? Cheers.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes, plus plenty of other VW and SEAT too.

basically anything with 256/280mm brakes will do you except polo hatchback, lupo or arosa. so look at caddy van, polo estate and saloon, higher spec non-gti mk3/cab/vento, mk2 16v/g60, corrado, passat b3/4, seat ibiza, toledo and cordoba, etc etc

3. joeshaw123 New Member

Brill, that's what I've been looking for.

A generous chap offered me a pair of corrado 16v hubs for a small fortune and they looked like they were salvaged from the Titanic, so I think I'll give those a miss.

I've just seen a pair of non-ABS, 4x100 mk3 hubs with no built in carriers, so I have purchased them.

Again, thanks for the help and rapid response time!

4. ade007 New Member

hello, i fitted arms from mk3 gt tdi to my mk2 1,3 prelift version with 4speed gearbox, i putted in tdi shafts and it was necessary to changed joints from the gearbox side from 100mm to 90mm, but on the test drive, driver side joint jumped out from the hub...

It is any difference between 4speed and 5speed gearbox in the wide of diff?? or maybe tdi shafts are shorter than nontdi shafts (only driver side shaft is shorter???)

the passanger side shaft look like is fitted very good (it's about 2cm longer than original mk2 shaft)

5. rubjonny

for the 1.3 you will need mk3 1.4 shafts, the 084/5 gearbox uses different length shafts to the 020/02a unfortunately

6. ade007 New Member

thx, maybe someone knows what is a difference in lenght of shafts between 084 and 020?

7. rubjonny

8. tomanni New Member

Just a small input from me having nearly completed my 4 stud wide track.

Using:

Mk3 tdi wishbones
    Mk3 tdi driveshafts
    Mk3 pas tierods
    Mk4 R32/TT rear wishbone bushes
    Superpro front wishbone bushes
    Mk3.5 cabriolet 21.5mm arb

My input is:
    Inner arb bushes for this is 1H0 411 314, NOT 191 411 314 as they are too small (17mm compared with 19mm I believe but both listed as 4 stud apparently). Learn from my mistakes ;)

9. rubjonny

yes with the inner bushes (and outers too!) you have to take care as they differ depending what roll bar is fitted. the std mk2 19mm and g60 23mm roll bars both use the 191411314 part, some mk3 and later bars need 1H0411314.

ETKA does list the mk3 bushes for the MK2 Golf, but only because VW dropped the oem MK2 19mm bar and offered the mk3 21.5mm roll bar in its place. this one needs the mk3 1h0 inner bushes to mount it

10. sh123 New Member

if im using 5 stud mk3 hubs and discs can I still use g60 calipers and carriers? (that I allready have)

also slight sidetrack, is it possible to somhow use vr6 shafts on a 4 stud setup?

11. rubjonny

yes the pre-96 mk3 gti/16v/vr6 use the same calipers and carriers as the G60 so they will fit right on with mk3 280mm 5 stud discs :)

5 stud shafts will fit 4 stud carriers if you swap the outer cv joint for a mk2/3 100mm 4 stud one, just check the lengths. the mk3 5 stud shafts might not be quite the same length as mk3 4 stud and obviously they will be too long for mk2 wishbones

12. sh123 New Member

Cheers for replying!

Was thinking of keeping 4 stud but with vr6 otluter for the slightly bigger spline. If cant be done then ill just 5 stud it.

Cheers

13. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

What you building?

14. sh123 New Member

Mk2 golf with ex sbg group a abf 220bhp for rallying so will be on an off gravel so could do with beefy shafts ( trying to get as good as i can with std parts for now)

Cheers

15. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Get a build thread going it sounds very interesting

16. rubjonny

yeah unfortunately the splines are different on the hub 4 and 5 stud, you could always weld up and re-drill 5 stud hubs to 4 stud but there are other ways to get beefy cv joints:
    http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?277983

17. rubjonny

if you've got mk3 4 stud widetrack now plus some 5 stud shafts sat about if you coudl compare the lengths that woudl be awesome, our driveshaft thread still hasnt got 4 stud widetrack shaft lengths in yet :thumbup:
    http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?155374

18. jhax New Member

Greetings,

I have swapped a mk3+ suspension with HD tower bushings, b4 control arms, mk3 manual rack inner track rods (mk2 manual rack) and a vogtland 40mm lowering kit. My car has horrible negative camber. I would like to know what has been done to remedy this.

Cheers,
    Justin

19. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Do you have adjustment in the hub to shock bolts ?
    Slacken them and pull top of hub outwards, should be able to dial some out. Did opposite to my old mk2 caddy to give some clearance for the 8" wheels I had.
    I'm running mk3 tdi arms, hubs and driveshafts manual mk3 track rods on my mk2 golf and it is quite negative, I've got -35 springs.

20. rubjonny

the lower you go the worse it will be, options include camber adjustment bolts either the VW ones which are thinner shank to allow more movement or the cam type found on ebay or offset top mount kits which can be pricey and rough going on a road car since they're solid rose joints. some shocks have more adjustment possible around the bolt holes than others, and if you have enough meat around the bolt holes you can try filing them out a bit to give you a little more adjustment

I've got mk3 golf 4 stud arms lowered around 40mm or so and with the hubs pulled as much as I can I barely get -1.5 degrees. so I've bought some camber bolts from VW for the next trip down the alignment centre