High Oil Pressure

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bmouthboyo, Mar 10, 2019.

1. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Hi everyone.

After a bit of general advice is possible. I have an AGG in my VW T25 campervan and recently am wondering if my oil pressure is a little high. When driving at around 3000 - 3500 rpm I tend to see about 4.5 bar hot, is this too high?

Reason I ask is my oil pressure switch started leaking recently (internally not at the thread) and I had some oil blowing out of the small pressure escape hold at the breather saucer on the rocker cover.

As there is no sure fire way to know how much oil is needed due to engine slant in the conversion and a diesel sump, I am not sure if it is slightly over filled with oil at the reading I thought it should be upto.

Hope that makes sense :)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

that sounds about right yep, looking for about 5bar cold at idle, 1 bar at idle hot and raising as you rev it

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

My AGG is the same .

4. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Oil comes out the saucer?

5. Tristan

No, the pressure that Rubjonny mentioned . Well ,mine is about 1.5 bar idle , hot
    Are you using the block breather ?

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Both of those things are caused by failed diaphragms.
    In the pressure switch there's a metal one that translates the force of oil pressure acting on it to movement of an electrical switch contact, making or breaking a circuit. When it fails, oil leaks past it into the electrical switch part, and on outward round the contact pin.

In PCV valves, when the (rubber) diaphragm leaks, oil mist comes out of the pressure equalising port. You can sometimes take the lid off these valves to eyeball the diaphragm.

7. Tristan

I took mine apart , was aghast at the condition , threw it away and got a twin inlet one , so as to keep my mk3 bottom crankcase breather and mk2 Digi head breather .