1987 16v mk2 golf resto - paint is on!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Coakers, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Thanks again guys, i can see the finishing line now. Its going to be an emotional moment the first time that engine starts.

Glass fitters are arriving this afternoon. Finally got to see her in paint in person today. Safe to say they have nailed it. Going up tomorrow morning to help the guys with reassembly. Going to look loads better just with the refurbished RA's on too. Cant wait. ??

[​IMG]

erreesse and stevencooke like this.
  2. Chemilove89 New Member

Oh yeah I’m in love with car already, and it’s not even done.

Coakers likes this.
  3. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

And she's home, dropped off at 21.30 last night. Helped the guys fit the window regs and sunroof, missing a few bits from the sunroof but I can finally work on it now. Its only now shes back I'm reminded how much their is to do and how little time I've really got!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if you needed reminding what she looked like before..

[​IMG]

Same car, same location, but a bit of difference ..

erreesse and Sirguydo like this.
  4. stevencooke Forum Member

Stunning work mate, looks mint and gorgeous colour.

Coakers likes this.
  5. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Since the cars return I've done next to nothing, swapped over the bonnet seal and a few other bits but thats all. Time being the primary factor as per usual.

I have also been building a new shed in the back yard as I have gathered a multitude of different tools and parts since starting this build there is no room for anything anymore plus my missus keeps shit machines (rabbits.. Not mk1 allegros) too so there is a lot of stuff knocking around.

[​IMG]

I've just spent a couple of hundred quid on the last remaining parts that i need to properly put everything together on this car though. My missus is buying me 2.25'' trackslag exhaust system for my birthday :-) and that will be the last piece of the puzzle.

I'll start updating this regularly every sunday unless something significant happens like the first engine start.

Oh yes I filmed a very basic and poor (why i never shared it at the time!) walk around video of my car when it was in the storage unit in the depths of winter at around 23:30 at night. I do look back on them times of working on the car there with rose tinted glasses I must say. But its good to see a video format from what it looked like then to how it does now.

erreesse likes this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

We all know now who's the happiest boy in England...

Coakers likes this.
  7. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Ok not a lot done, sorting out the garage and moving stuff into the shed, baby duties and other boring life stuff taking up time.

When I did get started on it I ran into two issues that ate up half a day. One: with the inner tailgate seal fitted the tailgate lock wouldn't engage, I've tried raising and lowering the the tailgate but to no avail. So I'll have to see whats happening with the lock.

Next, the damn UJ boot. I tried to install one with the engine out but I was sold a LH boot. Now I bought a RH aftermarket one VW Heritage, I loosened the bolts on the rack so the UJ could engage with the rack spline.

But could I get that boot over the cup, personally I dont think any amount persuasion will get it over.

[​IMG]

After asking Rubjohnny he had a look and saw that early and later racks didnt have the cups, instead I needed a rubber seal instead of the cup.

Part no. 171419329A - £12.94 from VW

Honestly I still have yet to find an example of how early manual racks (pre-87) are different so if anyone knows anything give us a shout.

Also fitted the main fuel pump assembly, I need to drop the tank a bit to fit the lift pump and lines.

I've also found that off cuts of Ranger Rover Evoque door seals make great door protectors.

[​IMG]

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok so I've had another look into it for you, looks like the seal isnt enough you also need the early type pot:
    g2manualrackboot.jpg

I've had a good look but it doesn't look like the original size pot is available to buy. Isd it possible to look up the part number of the boot VW heritage sold you? the only one I can find on the side is 192419523E. If that's the one you were sold then they're selling the wrong part! 192419523 then 192419523A is for the original boot with the small diameter opening. It was replaced by 192419523D then E, which are larger diameter and work with the later racks, and as per ElsaWIN above if you bought from VW they would have to be supplied with the pot if ordered for an early car.

If Heritage boots are indeed smaller diameter then they have been based from the wrong part while being re-manufactured, I'd say you have a pretty strong case to return for a refund. Or at least they need to be told so they can update the website and hopefully get the correct part re-manufactured instead.

either that or you need to try and get hold of an early rack or pot for use with the early type boot...

erreesse likes this.
  9. waj27 Forum Member

WOW that colour looks awesome!! got to be happy with that

Coakers likes this.
  10. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Cant thank you enough Rubjohnny, i scanned the part in and out before 'installing' it but there was no part number on it! A quick look on my order history from Heritage sees that it was indeed the same part listed [​IMG]

I'll phone them tomorrow to get the ball rolling and then see if I can find anyone selling a genuine used boot. This just goes to show that aftermarket parts are still a bit of minefield. Do VW still sell boots I wonder or are they NLA?

11. rubjonny

unfortunately they are NLA from VW, non on ebay at the moment but try Brendon Moss on Facebook he will probably have a load of them

12. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Aye thats my next best option, anyway at least we know what the issue is and I can chalk it off until the next one crops up :lol:
    Its my last shift tonight for the week but hopefully I'll get quite a bit done tomorrow, going to concentrate on getting the kjet parts re-installed and sorting out the loom as no doubt its a bit of a rats nest. I really want to hear that engine fire [:D]

13. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

What we are looking at is an intake (LH side) valve of my ABF engine. I was installing the intake manifold when I poked my camera down to see what was what, and... Shit. This is the only bad valve out of all 8 intake. Just unsure where to go from here. TIA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There apears to be a crack on the very bottom of the valve which is bothering me more than anything.

erreesse likes this.
  14. rubjonny

think its best to have the head off for a proper look, might be nothing but a bit of surface rust or it might be something more serious.

its not scary really, at the end of the day to remove a cylinder head all you do is undo 10 bolts gradually in reverse sequence then off it comes

erreesse, Coakers and cupracraig like this.
  15. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Yeh after speaking to a few people on FB they have reiterated what you've said John. I threw a hissy fit at first glance but have since been reassured. Instead of pulling the head I'm going to use an endoscopic camera to have a poke around. Quite cheap off amazon.

I made a quick video too inspecting the intake.

Thought about making more of a stab detailing the build via video diary too but I dont think I could dedicate the extra time it takes to film/edit etc.

erreesse likes this.
  16. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

it does appear to look cracked from the video.. i mean, for peace of mind i'd have the head off, get it inspected skimmed and get a new head gasket on it.

erreesse likes this.
  17. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Going the endoscopic camera route first and if anything is suspect then the head is coming off.

Making progress slowwwwlly. Got a load done yesterday though. Fuel lines, fuel pump, lift pump, inlet manifold and other bits all fitted.

[​IMG]

Four new genuine injectors, £40 a piece from B&B components. £78 a piece from VW Heritage.

[​IMG]

Regretting removing the dash.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had trouble getting the right coolant sensors, the correct sensors for my head part no. 049 919 501 which are a spade fitting but I can only find a button type part no. 027919501. I dont know where my originals are, I had a spare head but the spades had long since snapped off.

I can use mk3 sensors after reaching out on the forums part no. 1H0 919 563 however these sensors wont work with the KJets MFA. But they are £25 a piece.

Next up is the UJ boot. There are two kinds of Manual UJ boot. One is the early type. Part no 191419523A with a narrower neck and one is the later type with the wider neck part no.
    191419523D/E

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah i wasted a couple of hours trying to pull the narrower necked UJ boot over the cup on the steering rack. VW have incorrectly identified the boot as a later type. Thankyou to Rubjohnny for helping me out loads with this.

erreesse likes this.
  18. holdawayt Forum Member

You just slide the spade connector over the "button" part of the sensor mate.
    Give it a little pinch with some pliers once it's on if it's a loose fit.

Tom.

Coakers and Tristan like this.
  19. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Well I hope everyone has had a good christmas and new year! All the best!

I didn't get as much done as I wanted due to a poorly baby and fiancée. BUT.

I was poking around in the car, picked some loose seam sealer off which uncovered this.

[​IMG]

Then I got carried away.

[​IMG]

Heat gun and scraper then switching to the scotchbrite disc and wire wheel on the angle grinder which after around 2 days off soul destroying, tedious sound deading/sealant removal got me this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't find much else worth of concern. Some evidence of pitting but that may just be an imperfection of the steel from factory.

[​IMG]

Then it was Hydrate 80'd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waited 24 hours for it to go off. You'll see it go from blue to black pretty quickly.

[​IMG]

Followed by 2pk epoxy from rustbuster. I saw this used on 'Trevs Blog' on youtube and saw that it had won quite a few awards so thought it was worth a try.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worst pictures ever. They are actually screenshots of different videos that'll I'll compile and load that upto YT when ready. Time to crack on.

20. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Other bits included examining and subsequently ripping out all the audio wiring which was just a butchered mess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also stuck the front bumper on aswell as the headlights

[​IMG]

Stripped, Epoxied and seam sealed the outer sill which brings us more or less up-to-date.

[​IMG]