Wing Adjustment question

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dub Steppin, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Dub Steppin New Member

Sorry if there's an obvious link to info about this anywhere that I've missed..

My big bumper GTI was in a minor front end bump years ago and I took it to a bodyshop who pulled out a dent in the NS wing and when I got it back it looked perfect. However, they had fitted the wing too close to the door and the side strips fouled against each other and I had to take the door one off. Probably should have took it back to them to sort, but this was years ago so can't do that now.

Is it easy enough to adjust the wing forward a couple of mm? From what I can garner online, I need to loosen the top screws and there's some under the arch liner? What I would do is set the gap same as other side by making up a packer that can act as a guide before I tighten everything back up and adjust the bonnet alignment if necessary. My main focus on my mk2 has been getting everything working and serviced as it's sat for a lotta the last few years, but soon it'll be time for finishing touches such as this and respraying peeling mirrors/stone chip correction etc

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah loosen those bolts and see if theres enough slop , if its a non genuine wing you might need to make the bolt holes bigger etc

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

take the bumper off as well theres another bolt hidden behind. the bolts under the arch liner wont help you as they go along the back of the wing into the A pillar so no forward/back adjustment possible there only up and down

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

the pillar ones would loosen it up enough to move though....if its bad then might need a tweak along the back edge or a washer etc

does the door fit 100%

5. Dub Steppin New Member

Thanks for replies guys. @pigbladder yeah it's the original wing, just been beaten out.
    @rubjonny Good info regards the bumper bolt thanks - wasn't aware of that. I suspected that the pillar bolts would not allow forward adjustment but like @pigbladder said in 2nd reply - I thought maybe a washer could work to space it out, cheers for confirming my thoughts. Yeah the door fits well, although you've got me thinking - perhaps the inner wing has been pushed back a couple mm by the impact and this hasn't been rectified by shop? Maybe a combo of slightly adjusting the door and the wing might work? I only need to increase the gap maybe 2mm total. I could shave off a bit of the plastics but would rather do a proper fix.

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah all you can do is loosen it all up so its free ...be aware the back edge is stuck down with sealer if they didnt touch it , then see how it goes

7. rubjonny

I found the back edge is weak enough a decent tug or shove will move it forwards and back when I've needed to move, I'd rather not use washers if possible

8. rubjonny

ah also theres another bolt right at the bottom of the wing up into the sill you'll want to loosen before you try to pull the bottom edge forwards

9. Dub Steppin New Member

Nice one chaps - So basically I'll loosen the top line of bolts, will leave the bumper one until I see if I need to loosen it, and hopefully you're right jonny and there will be enough flex in the back edge to push it the required amount. The gap looks bigger at the A pillar than at the sill so it might even be squint on the back edge lineup.. Great info regards the sill bolt - was not aware of that one either. Gonna try tackle this today and if I can, to get the body trims back on would make me very happy.

10. Dub Steppin New Member

So where I'm at... got archliner removed and all wing bolts except the ones buried underneath the sealer and the bumper one loosened. I am loathe to scrape away the underseal, and I'm not even sure exactly where to scrape away, as there's no clue as to where the bolt heads are. So, next up is to protect the paint edge and try knock it forward with a hammer and block. wish me luck. I really dont wanna have to remove any of that underseal, especially seeing as loosening them won't achieve much inless I'm spacing behind, but if it doesn't budge with a firm skelp I might have to revisit my ideas.

11. rubjonny

yeah I'd try to avoid disturbing the sealer unless you have to, need to dig the bolts out and also cut all the sealer doen the edge before you could move the wing forward anyway. as I say I've found you can just pull the wing forward by hand they aren't particularly strong along the back edge to the wing fixing with all the bolts off

12. Dub Steppin New Member

Yeah, so a combo of firmly pulling and knocking along a bit with a fibreglass block with a dough scraper to protect paint worked. The gaps are now the same at both sides and it only knocked the bonnet gaps out a tiny bit - one day I'll get the body perfect but for now I can live with these slight misalignments. Just back in for a cuppa and a sandwich the now, then the moment of truth when I refit the plastics and check they don't foul - I'm confident they won't. Although when I was under the arch I noticed I have a split CV boot. MOT next week so hopefully it's just an advisory as it's not losing grease or a big enough split to let grime in -yet lol

I'll need to pay soon and join up properly, feel like I've had my tenner's worth of advice already on here haha. cheers

13. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Well done. I need to do my offside. The gap between door and wing is like the grand canyon and too low. Previous to me work done

14. Dub Steppin New Member

Go for it man! You need a 10mm socket for the wing bolts incl. the one under the sill, a 10mm spanner or deep socket for the bonnet pin bolt and an 8mm socket for the arch liner bolts. It's not too hard to do at all. Suffice to say my door strip clears the wing now and it's on with nice new clips and grommets - never in doubt!

Edit: What am I talking about? Doh, forget the arch liner bolts as you might just be able to do what I did and not bother with digging for the A pillar bolts

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019