Mk1 golf gti vdo gauge fitment

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Markdavid, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Markdavid New Member

Hi everyone. I about going to replace missing vdo gauges in my mk1. Does anyone know the original wire colours so I can reconnect them.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

unless it was specified with them you wont have any wiring for it, but if you want OEM colours:
    black - ignition live
    brown - earth
    grey/blue - illumination
    green/black - oil temperature

there was no factory installation for oil pressure, but in the corrado/scirocco/cabrio the wire is either blue/yellow or blue/white

3. Markdavid New Member

Thanks I thought the mk1 golf gti came with dials as standard. The dial holes were cut out to fit a tape player when I purchased it 25 years ago. Trying to put car back to standard. Thankyou for help

4. rubjonny

yeah the holes are always in the console but it was a dealer fit option :)

5. Markdavid New Member

6. Markdavid New Member

I think your right. There is no wiring for them. Is it difficult to wire up second hand ones. Not sure if there are any senders for them

7. rubjonny

you'll need an oil pressure sender to match the range on your gauge, preferably get a 2 pole type then it replaces one of the oil pressure switches.
    for oil temp if you also want the MFA to work you need a T piece so you can add a 2nd sender for the gauge. if not you either use the old mfa sensor or replace it for another one again depending on which oil temp gauge you have. the 0-170 audi ones need a blue sensor, the 0-150 ones often work with the original mk1 oil sender.

then wiring wise the hardest part is running 1 or 2 wires from the engine bay, there are a couple spare holes in the bulkhead so its not that bad really. then the gauges need ignition live, earth and dash illumination. where you get your live and illumination feeds depends on what fusebox you have, ce1 you can go to g spade 2 or 5, ceramic g spade 3. illumination on ce1 you often have a spade grey/blue spade wire you can use. if not tap into ciggy lighter or radio. earth just goes to claw above fusebox :)

8. Markdavid New Member

Thanks for your reply. It’s very helpful