ABF ECU codes

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Matas, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Matas Forum Member

i am having another ecu on the way, also where are temp sensors located? maybe one of them could be causing this problem? vagcom doesnt show any fault codes anymore

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Coolant temp is in the side of the head, it's the big white one. You can check ECU measuring blocks to see if coolant temp is ok. Inlet temp is in the air box somewhere.

ECU is probably fine I think, issue down to your dizzy being out of alignment plus possibly wiring issues to the throttle.position sensor. If it's never been repaired it will almost certainly be in a right mess by now

3. Matas Forum Member

i can send you measuring blocks, which groups you want to see? EDIT: I need to check them when engine is running?

4. Matas Forum Member

0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 123136569_983264562160925_7676306885211445139_n.jpg 123293246_643829176286554_8906654025377108363_n.jpg 123089394_380218829848861_6373360549020205053_n.jpg
    i unplugged that white sensor in the last pic and car didnt start, second to last pic on the airbox is another air temp sensor?

5. rubjonny

Looks good, the sensor in the air box is inlet air temp, showing 39 degrees which seems high unless you're sat idling for a while. Coolant temp showing 75 degrees which you'll need to compare to dash and oil temp to make sure they're all similar

6. Matas Forum Member

It was idling for few minutes, also car didnt start again this morning, so still something needs to be fixed, bored of cranking it up for a minute every morning before it starts

7. rubjonny

Pull the wiring loom off the engine from the big round plug round the side to the throttle position sensor. Strip it back, it's almost certain to be all knackered round the back of the inlet. You can delete the breather heater plug which is the 2 pin on the black plastic pipe with a black and brown wire.

8. Matas Forum Member

You talkin about this one?
    upload_2020-10-31_16-49-14.png

9. rubjonny

yes, gently twist to release, then undo the bolts holding the metal bracket to the engine. remove the engine sensor harness and strip for inspection. looking at the pictures it looks like its never been touched so the wire insulation will be all split round the back no doubt

10. Matas Forum Member

where the other end goes? so I could take it all out and have a good look at it?

11. rubjonny

The engine side goes to all sensors.on block, the other side goes to ECU and fusebox. That side should be ok though unless someone has been in there and hacked it somewhere. Just take engine side off for repair then see how it goes

12. Matas Forum Member

ok, ill give it a visual inspection, also if there is damage, could that lead to the car not starting after a night? what wires are in that sensor?

13. rubjonny

Main thing which can cause issues is throttle position, idle switch can cause engine to hold.back also. As I say check vacuum pipe from back of inlet to ECU. If crank sensor is cheap or old that might be the cause.

Make sure the isv is buzzing ignition on, if not the fuse will probably be blown due to the breather heater wiring i mention shorting out behind the inlet as it's linked to isv. As I say you can remove the breather heater wiring as it's unused in warmer climate countries, even in the UK it's not fitted.

It's the 2 pin plug with black and brown wires, the.black one taps into the isv black so snip off and insulate isv wire and the brown goes straight to the head so unbolt and bin

14. Matas Forum Member

Isv you mean fuel pump? Because i had it tested, 3 bar as it should be.

maybe you have a pic which vacuum pipe it is? There is a small one that goes to ecu and i believe i have checked it before.

And im unsure where that 2 pin plug is since i dont understand what isv is, sorry for bad english haha

15. rubjonny

idle stabilisation valve, its the metal thing pushed into a hole on the front of the inlet manifold with a pipe over to the air box. it should vibrate with ignition.

the 2 pin plug you can delete is near the throttle body, it should be clipped onto the black plastic breather pipe. you'll notice the connector housing its fitted on has no pins because the heater isnt there, its only for really cold climates :)

16. Matas Forum Member

You say it should vibrate with ignition? it will be vibrating non stop with ignition on? I should hear it or only feel it?

17. rubjonny

some are loud enough to hear, some are too quite. either way you can feel it vibrate

18. Matas Forum Member

[​IMG]
    can you tell me where to find it? i never heard anything vibrate here

19. rubjonny

its the metal tube on the front of the inlet, under the plastic spark plug lead holder, you can see the vacuum hose from it to the side of the airbox in your picture. you can get to it without taking off the lead holder :)

its fitted to the big hole visible here
    s-l300.jpg

20. Matas Forum Member

okay, ill check it, it vibrates when i turn on the ignition and stops? or it will always be vibrating while ignition is on?
    Also if it is not vibrating then i need to change it?