MK1 GTi CE1 to 9a KE-Jet Wiring

Discussion in '16-valve' started by MrP, Nov 3, 2020.

1. MrP

MrP Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,

I currently have a '91 MK1 Cabriolet GTi and I have a 9a from a Corrado and I plan on converting the MK1, including the Corrado 9a KE-Jet management. I want the conversion as OE as possible.

I've struggled finding any guide for the 9a KE-Jet wiring loom, it all seems to be for the KR/K-Jet which is not as complex.

I've previously converted many MK2's to ABF's on Digifant so I'm no stranger to wiring diagrams and conversion looms - I just need a bit of guidance. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

this covers it pretty much:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/ce1-abf-splicing-of-looms-help.249714/

ignore coil conversion if it already runs mk2 type coil, it also doesn't have an ecu relay so that side of things can be ignored. if you';ve done an abf already then you can do this its basically the same when it comes to connections at the fusebox side. case of strip out non-engien stuff from corrado loom, strip out engien stuff mk1 loom, mash together after shortening the corrado loom. jobs a goodun

3. rubjonny

corrado may have a mk1/2 looking coil but with 3 pin ignition amp on the side, this setup is reasonably reliable just need to run your old red/black wire from fusebox to the corrado coil negative. may find the coil has a single pin plug hanging off it for this, if not just a case of undo the nut on negative pin and slip wire on after crimping a ring terminal on i.

can still convert this type to mk1/2 type with separate 7 pin ignition amp if you want process is exactly the same as with square mk3 type coil

4. MrP

Great stuff. Should be relatively simple then. Do you have a wiring diagram for the Corrado 9a ('92/93) perchance? My ECU and engine wiring has been butchered somewhat:
    • A yellow wire from the ECU to the ISV has been bypassed (I'm hoping the original wire had broke so they bodged it)
    • There is a cut/loose white wire in the ISV location which had wrapped up along with the above wiring. This white wire looks old and original and appears to disappear into the ECU wiring loom.
    • Two random yellow wires from the ECU plug wiring, popping out of the ecu wiring grommet to an earth point next to the ECU.
    • Lambda sensor wiring has been butchered, presumably to fit a aftermarket Lambda, but who knows. Following the wiring under the airbox there's a plethora of cut wires and mismatched colours.
    The above is what was obvious with the wiring still in the Corrado as the above was all wrapped excessively with red and/or yellow electrical tape by someone who had learning difficulties by the looks of things :lol:

The car had been partially stripped and the engine in pieces so I had to put it all back together to figure out whats what. I'm not looking forward to the Fusebox side of things, which I'm still to inspect. The cars full of random speaker/sub wires, lighting, random toggle switches. I think this car was a proper barry at one stage.

It has the 3 pin ignition amp set-up, i'd like to retain this. It's looks like a Mk1 set up, but a bit cleaner.

I'm trying to keep everything native for the 9a for fault finding and playing about to avoid confusion down the line.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Wiring is similar to the Passat 9A and to some extent the Audi 80 with the 6A.

The wiring for CIS-E on a EA827 16v is not commonly shared as most do not use it, in favour of the simpler K Jet.

6. MrP

As I've found. Haynes don't seem to cover the Passat 16v or Corrado at all, I need ot get hold of a Bentley manual but they push £100 now!!

Any idea where I can find alternate wiring resources?

7. rubjonny

I have a US spec mk2 9a diagram in my signature link 'golf91.pdf' its on page 6 'GTI 16v'. its basically same as corrado/passat and shows you how the mk2 rev counter wire from g1/12 runs direct to the negative terminal on the coil rather than ecu

I also have a corrado or passat 9a diagram '9a1.jpg' and '9a2.jpg', not sure which and the key is german and terrible quality but can help clarify certain things when used with the mk2 diagram :)

sounds a bit of a mess but once on the bench and stripped back should become clear whats up with it

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have a Corrado Bentley, as well as a MK2 Golf Chilton manual.
    USDM manuals and will cover CISE as that market never got raw Kjet.
    Those will have the diagrams you are after.

9. MrP

I have the Corrado Bentley.

Which Chilton manual would you recommend? There's various for the Golf of the era.