A VW 16v camshaft study.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Feb 9, 2008.

1. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Great thanks guys. I'm going to stick with OE cams as per the advice in this thread and once I've got a feel for it maybe I'll start to experiment with things.
    After speaking to the engine builders again about my cams it turns out it was the fact that the surface finish had suffered badly around the lobe peak where the valve would be at full lift. This is why they said to seek out another set.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Sirguydo suggested he has some KR parts and mrhillclimber has answered your question on wear rates.
    Get it fitted, start the the engine, map it and go enjoy it!

3. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Have pm'd sirguydo regarding KR cams so hopefully he will get back in touch.

4. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Does anyone know sirguydo to speak to? Can't get hold of him at the moment and I wanted to speak to him about his KR cams.

5. Toyotec

Mike. Can try to get hold of him later if that would help.
    I also have a few sets of KR jobs knocking about as well but will try to get to Mike.

6. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

If you could give him a shout that would be great thanks :)

7. Typhoon New Member

I have Golf GTI 16v Mk2 with 2.0 16v engine boosted by Eaton M62 (1.2 bar boost) run on Digifant 1 ECU (G60). My first setup was: bottom engine is 2E (block, crankshaft, conrods, pistons) with full port and polish KR cylinderhead and ABF camshaft with SLS tuning chip. Car was very fast ant torqy and really pull like a train. After that I was put in 260 degrees symetric Schrick camshafts and remap the ECU. That was great upgrade and car was a lot faster and have much more torque and power at all RPM range. In 4-th gear car spinning wheels at 2700 RPM. After that in third setup I was put in 268 degrees symetric Schrick camshafts and that was really downgrade. I'm think that these cams have too big overlap, engine have less torque, power is transferred at higher RPM, boost is lower by 0,2 bar and idle is totally rough.

8. Mcdubber1 New Member

So after reading through this thread and trying to understand what it all means I wanted to see if I changing my cams to another spec would be benificial to my engine.

I have a 2.0 16v 6A block with a ported KR head with KR cams. At least this is what the previous owner told me so I would need to check the numbers just to make sure.

Would I be right in saying that changing my inlet cam to an ABF item would see an improvement?

9. Toyotec

ABF cams should be used a cam set. You should not mix with 027 cam sets.

10. Mcdubber1 New Member

Ok then so will it be benificial if I fit a set of ABF cams?

11. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Yes I think you are right I noticed it checking this picture from other post from the forum about a study of the kr cams: [​IMG]

The overlap of the exhaust cams on abf is negative so the evc of 3 must to be negative so:

Exhaust # 027 109 022 G
    EVO 43 BBDC
    EVC 3 BTDC
    Duration 43+180-3 = 220
    PL 10.2mm

same duration on exhaust that abf

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  12. Martin 16v Forum Member

Has anyone confirmed what the camshaft markings actually relate to?

Exhaust cam from 027 head
    Markings from left to right are.
    - 5a 027 WWO 3f (3f under the WWO)

Inlet cam from 027 head
    Markings from left to right are.
    - 7c 027 WWO 3d (3d under the WWO)

Now from what I've read the 027 is just a casting mark to note they come with the 027 head.

It would be interesting to know what the other markings mean.

I will measure these to confirm what they are as the head is a 027 103 373E that was attached to a 9A bottom end.

And i believe the 027 head did come on some early 9A engines but i could be wrong