Seat 16v Cable Clutch Conversion Part Numbers (with clutch cable bracket!)

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Vento Mike, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Having just started a thread asking for these numbers I thought i'd make a FAQ for the conversion, this has been created by other people on the forum from this thread:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106823

Seat part Numbers are Below (thanks rupe!)

02B 141 708A - clutch actuator, polo classic, ibiza & T4 - 98.48+VAT as of 23/10/19
    02A 141 708B - clutch actuator, toledo & passat - NLA

02A 141 728 - boot - NLA
    02A 141 728 1 - alternative boot part number from Brazilian VW Gol, available on ebay
    02A 141 730 - toothed lock washer - 76p+VAT as of 23/10/19
    02A 141 740A - push rod 16.86+VAT as of 23/10/19

The rod and the toothed lock washer come with the clutch actuator, boot needs to be ordered separately

357 199 356 - full length cable bracket/steady - NLA
    357 721 352 - short cable bracket, b3 passat & toledo abf/tdi - NLA but VW classic parts has stock

The best fit clutch cable for a MK2 platform is the manual adjust SEAT Toledo TDI, as its based on a MK2 Jetta shell. The Toledo ABF one obviously fits too but its a self-adjust type and costs more money, plus its NLA. These have recently gone NLA unfortunately but part number included for completeness

172 721 335C/D - MK1 Golf 1.0-1.3 clutch cable - NLA, GEMO part number 434 240
    192 721 335C/J - MK2 Golf 1.0-1.3 clutch cable - NLA, GEMO part number 434 851 and 434 928

1L0 721 335G - SEAT Toledo ABF auto adjust clutch cable - NLA
    1L0 721 335C - SEAT Toledo TDI manual adjust clutch cable - NLA

The 1.3 cables do work but sometimes they can be a bit tight and need to be modified, see detailed information below.

Try calling your local VW/SEAT/TPS dealer for the above parts, they seem to come in and out of stock from time to time. If no luck VW classic parts are stocking some of the above bits now. To get parts from classic-parts you can try contacting them direct, but its easier and usually cheaper to give these guys a call:
    http://www.deutsche-parts.co.uk/

Full length cable bracket/steady:
    DSC_0053.jpg

Bracket.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

SEAT Toledo/passat B3 short type cable bracket vs full length below:
    toledocablebracket.jpg

Note with the Mk1/2 1.3 and Toledo TDI cable this goes in from the rear into the bracket first, the adjuster sits in the cable retainer at the front.

Heres a link to a good thread on vortex: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1060826

Hope no one minds me creating this FAQ, thanks to the people handing out the info[:D] :clap:

RJ here! Just updated some prices and added a couple more useful numbers, hope no-one minds!

RJ here again. Heres some extra information on the 1.3 cable and why they dont often fit. First up heres a picture of a 1.3 cable next to the OEM fit SEAT Toledo TDI, shown is a genuine VW 1.3 cable, but the GEMO make 1.3 cables are exactly the same:
    seat-cablemod-1.jpg seat-cablemod-2.jpg seat-cablemod-3.jpg

As you can see there are a few differences, first is the 1.3 is much shorter. 2nd the cable attachment to the pedal box is different, and lastly the rubber bush at the end of the cable is a different shape to the Toledo.

Length and bush issue illustrated clearly here:
    seat-cablemod-4.jpg seat-cablemod-5.jpg

The bush side you can hack it a bit with a sharp knife till it seats properly in the cable bracket, problem solved. For the length issue pull the plastic crimped on cup from the inner cable, then you cut down the cable guide till the cable fits nicely. Under the outer plastic cover you'll find a spiral metal guide:
    seat-cablemod-6.jpg

Also note at the pedal end the 1.3 cable fits a bit different than the 1.6-1.8 & Toledo cable. Pictured is how OEM 1.6-1.8 cables fit, white outline is how the 1.3 cable fits. Note how the 1.3 cable sits slightly closer to the pedal pivot and so will give a little less leverage, plus pedal range of movement might be slightly different vs the Toledo cable. If you cut the 1.3 plastic clip down a bit it will fit in the upper spot, I did this myself in the hope this would give me enough length to fit it at the other end. Unfortunately wasn't quite enough I still had to cut the outer sleeve down as above.
    51346420_10157048528639859_9008391971454058496_n.jpg

Now its fitted the 1.3 cable feels the same as the Toledo cable did before. Note another way you can go is chop the bracket off the cable bracket and weld it a bit further backwards. This kills 2 birds with one stone, as it will then clear the later 02J tower nicely and means you can fit new 1.3 cables on directly in the future

edit: the clutch cable bracket is actually easy to DIY so I wouldn't buy a complete kit for it. Though I'm pretty sure you can get the eyptec bracket on its own?

heres something I mocked up in cardboard in 5 minutes. repeat the design in steel and job done, dont even need to weld and you can adjust the cable position to suit which could save you having to mod your 1.3 cable:
    PXL_20230502_092229990.jpg PXL_20230502_092326963.jpg PXL_20230502_092416476.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2023
    stevencooke likes this.
  2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I'll post some photo's of the offending parts when/if they come in today later!

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

All good stuff Mike - there was a scant mention in the 02A/02J 'box differences FAQ, but this is far better :)

4. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

This is what 94.09 buys you at the Seat stealership (and the clutch cable) and I thought I was getting the bracket to hold the cable also! No, according to the guy the bracket that holds the cable is not available as a seperate part and is only available on the gearbox...I think he's talking ****! Will have to investigate...if only I could get my etos working again, i'd love to prove him wrong!:lol:

Oh and how on earth do you get the protective boot over without knocking the pivot pin out?! I really dont wanna knock it out incase it don't go back in!

5. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I knocked the pin out then decided against the boot anyway...now I expect the pins all slack and will just drop out one day.

[​IMG]

Fitted never the less

6. wtdvwg40 Forum Member

what do u do if u have a 02J gearbox?

7. gillm

gillm ***** User

what cable are you using mike ?

8. Dub20vt Forum Member

gill mk2 1300 works in a mk2 but not sure if the pedal end is the same on mk1

9. rupe Forum Member

use a mk1 1300 cable, thats what i've got for mine.

10. gillm

gillm ***** User

can't get them anymore

11. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

No way that same part is 34 pounds if you buy it from a VW dealer but you do not get the rubber boot with it !!! i got one back in febuary

The clutch cable you need you can only get from VAG and its of a 1.1 Golf, that i have on mine. I will post up the part number later

12. rupe Forum Member

heres a pic of the vw syncro part, looks like the seat one has an extra bit where the cable attaches

[​IMG]

40.08 with vat from vw 02A 141 708B

and heres a pic of the gearbox end of a mk1/2 1.3 clutch cable

[​IMG]

Unipart do the cable for under a tenner.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2018
  13. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Sweet thats the cable

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

got one of them lying under the car at the moment (slightly used!)

I can see why you all prefer to to it this way, I spent yesterday putting in hydraulics into mk 1 using mk 3 bits & a welder. Thats after couple days of trying other ways

it's not pretty

if I was doing it again I would take this easier route!

15. wtdvwg40 Forum Member

so how do you fit a clutch cable convertion on a 02j box?

16. wtdvwg40 Forum Member

it really dont fit on a 02j

17. turbotommy Forum Member

So your saying this only fits the 02A not the 02J???? [:s]

I hope thats not true.

18. wtdvwg40 Forum Member

nope dont fit matey! and no 1 knows anything about fitting 1 to a 02J box?????[:s]

19. wtdvwg40 Forum Member

i have 2 make a bracket myself and had to lose the rev switch!!!!

20. HidRo Forum Member

It does fit a 02J...