Mk2 & 3 Golf/Ibiza/Passat subframe widths

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by A.N. Other, Aug 16, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've been busy measuring up narrow and wide track widths, as I reckon there's scope for a one-stop wide track thread, compiled from all the various info on this forum.

The measurement is the centreline of both front wishbone bolts. Has anyone got Mk3 subframes lying around they can measure?

So far:

Mk2 Ibiza Mk2 & 3 Passat B3 & 4 Mk3 non-GTI Mk3 GTI/VR6
    60 cm 60cm 60cm 60cm ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Willber Forum Member

Hi Chris,

I can get a measurement on a MK3 GTi one as I am planning to use it instead of the rusty Mk2 one I have on my MK2 at the minute. As I understood it they are the same?

Great idea to compile a widetrack library though as it does get a tad confusing.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the ibiza subframe is the same as a mk3 golf one if that helps, and all MK3 Golfs use the same subby regardless of 4 or 5 stud :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hmm, that suggests that Mk2 & 3 Golfs & Ibizas 2 & 3 are all the same width between the wishbones.

If that's the case, I can't figure out how you can get Passat shafts on a Mk2 Golf with Passat arms - they'd be too long by 5cm per side.

If Willber can get a measurement, that would be great.

5. rubjonny

i agree with you there, i recal someone saying a passat vr6 driveshaft for 1 side was very difficult to get and it was specific to that model, this could explain why

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Partly why I think a one-stop wide track thread is in order - work in progress, though some guidance/checking may be needed!

7. Willber Forum Member

OK just checked from my Mk3 in the yard - centre to centre on front inner wishbone bolts (facing the front of the car) = 60cm.

This correlates with the MK2/MK3 interchangeable subframe but with the wishbones determining the extra track width.

Hope this helps guys.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ok, that's done & dusted, and we're certain from above that all Mk3s are the same.

I think I'm going to double check that Passat measurement!

Nice one. Off to search some older threads now.

9. paultownsend Forum Member

what about corrado? 8/16v vs vr6? all run different track widths

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

8 & 16v Corrados are the same as a Mk2 Golf.

Corrado VR must surely be on the same wishbone => wishbone inner bolt spacing, but the wishbones themselves + hubs are different.

11. rubjonny

corrado 4 pot uses same subframe as MK2 G60, which is same as MK2 except it has the extension bits behind the arb mountings and the weight on the front. uses mk2 golf wishbones, track rods, shafts and bearing carriers.
    6 pot corrado uses a MK3 Golf subframe and MK3 GTI wishbones, driveshafts, track rods and bearing carriers.

Edit: Corraction to the above, it turns out the corrado vr6 subframe is actually lower than the MK3 subframe on the driver side by roughly 5mm :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  12. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Is it possible to add mount heights to this thread too? It is believed that the mk3 subframe sits with the engine mounts lower down, thus eliminating exhaust clearance issues when fitting tall blocks to mk2s.

Gurds

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hmmm, so what's the diff between a Mk2 subframe and Mk3?

14. rubjonny

main difference is the rear engine mount bracket, uses a completly different mount setup to mk2. it also has the metal extensions behind the arb brackets like the MK2 G60.

I've heard conflicting reports about the engien heights thing, what we need is measurements from the subframe mounts to the chassis to the bolt holes that hold the engine mount bracket to the engine to confirm this either way

15. Willber Forum Member

Thats interesting as I am planning on using a Mk3 subframe to mount my ABF into MK2. I understand some people have issues with the engine fouling the sound deadening material on the bonnet?

16. rubjonny

on mine it does rub it a bit, all mk2 bits and mk2 16v/g60 mount

17. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Rubjonny, several years ago I overheard snippets of a conversation between two local suspension guru's, the gist being VW had raised one end of the MkIII? MkIV? MkV? engine/tranny unit, and moved the entire unit a little to one side or the other - - raising one end supposedly decreased torque steer, and shifting to one side or the other improved left to right weight balance:clap:

My ears weren't sharp enough to catch which model/s they referred to - - [:^(]

18. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Chris, MkIII 2.0 is 60cm, confirm B3 VR6 at 70cm (edit, B3 VR6 is also 60cm, likewise B3 2.0 4-stud; it's the Passat's 4 M12 suspension cross member to frame mounting holes which are further apart compared to MkII/III)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  19. turbotommy Forum Member

You are right ;) it was the difference between a golf mk2 & mk3 i found this out when fitting the subframes to my golf.

20. rubjonny

annoyingly I had a MK3 subframe in stock for a while, and was going to post detailed pics of it next to my mk2 subframe when the engine came out. but the guy i got it from needed it back desperately so I let him have it. Oh well, maybe some day someone will give us some detailed side by side pics. I'm surprised no-one has so far!