G28 Speed sensor + Japanese wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Louward, May 23, 2018.

1. Louward New Member

Hi totally new to this forum but I've been lurking around when I needed some info (and the info on here is really amazing - thank you!)

So, car is a mk3 16v. Bought (second hand) in Japan, driven in Japan, mothballed in Japan.

It needed so many fixes that I had to take it off the road. Finally getting back to starting it up again.

The problem: The speed sensor (G28) broke almost as soon as I bought the car. Knowing nothing about cars back then, I took it to the local garage who couldn't fix it (subaru only) so he sent it to the local VW dealer.
    They said it was impossible to get a new speed sensor and so they made a temporary fix (which was electrical tape and soldering). It failed a couple of months later.
    Now I managed to get a new speed sensor from the UK, fitted it but I don't know which wires go to which pin..

white, black, white/blue which one goes to 1, 2 ,3 on the sensor plug?

pic

Can anyone offer some advice? Is there any way to test this with a multimeter?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Louward likes this.
  3. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Should be able to use a multimeter to work out which is live which is earth and the remainder would be pulse. I've always known pulse to be the middle pin.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Louward likes this.
  4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Colours do not matter.
    Pins are 100%
    [​IMG]

Louward likes this.
  5. Toyotec

As I started all the ABF this and that on here, I thought it was fitting to have the ABF current flow diagram is on this forum.

It is found >>here<<

Picture repair to follow shortly.

6. Louward New Member

Wow, wonderful thanks GVK, Spacecowboy, Toyotec for the rapid replies and info!

Just to clarify, and I've got to ask the question, the numbers 1 2 3 are in a different order on the wiring diagram (3, 1 ,2) - does that mean that the Hall supply is ALWAYS no 1 or ALWAYS the middle pin?

Also, I just tested the wires with a multimeter and got two wires reading 10v. How can I tell the difference?

7. Toyotec

Hall supply is always 1.

8. Louward New Member

Thank you! I'll figure it out, cheers

9. duremars New Member

Does anyone know if this pinout is suitable for mk4 16v? I recently bought a golf mk4 but have never owned a German car before. I mainly used cars of Japanese origin. At the moment I use this car https://www.jdmbuysell.com/product/nissan-skyline-gtr-r33-n-8356/ as my main one and to be honest, these two cars are very different. I bought a golf for my wife as she needs a small, economical and fast car for the city, so I thought it would be a great choice. Since we bought a used car, it is obvious that it has some problems. I fixed all the body related issues, but I had problems with the electronics. I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020