abf turbo standalone loom

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mykulz1, May 25, 2018.

1. mykulz1 New Member

Hi, I am looking at starting the process of wiring up my mk2 abf turbo project. I have the stripped down mk3 engine loom and a starter loom for my standalone ecu, but pretty clueless towards the best way of tackling this. Any help as to how much of the original loom is still required etc would be much appreciated.

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I have done a couple of similar projects and start with the original loom in pace in the car. Initially strip all the underbonnet covering harness cloth off starting at the ECU. Then wire by wire, working from the ECU, using a wiring diagram to aid understanding remove them from the loom.
    You end up with a car set of wiring for all non engine signals.
    Worked fine for an ABF engine Ibiza which now runs a separate Jenvey/standalone system. A mk2 GTI is currently heading the same way. Best thing is it makes future power unit changes car independent. ie out with that twin weber engine, in with an 18T or whatever.
    I have simplified it, you will hit snags and have to fault find when you find that some function you thought you hadn't touched no longer works, but you can always add wires etc back in...
    Good luck
    Jon

3. mykulz1 New Member

Ok that seems a logical way to go about it. I will give that a go and report back with any problems, thanks.