Bought a Mk2 Golf Van with an S3 1.820vt Engine and 4wd system, drunk on ebay

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by DJWilma, May 24, 2018.

1. DJWilma New Member

Hello

As the title said

Picked it up today

Wife wants to divorce me and i have no idea about wiring

Should be good fun though

2. Break Forum Member

epic, im sure she will come around when she witnesses the acceleration first hand! got any pics?

3. DJWilma New Member

4. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

I've owned an S3 (same BAM engine) straight after my first mk2 Golf. Always wanted to smash the two together to make a modern Rallye Will be watching your thread for sure:thumbup:

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

My hero.

DJWilma likes this.
  6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

very nice, I would put a cage in it and rally it!
    Jon

7. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I would just put it in a cage lol
    Good luck with the project:thumbup:

8. DJWilma New Member

Car will have a cage.

Main issue i have is wiring, need to find someone to do it in the South

Cant seem to find anyone, any ideas ?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I'm in Bracknell, but my list is pretty long. I am happy to try and help you through it if you like :thumbup:

otherwise if you need to get someone to look at it try Darren Francis of VW enterprise (also on here) he is the main man when it comes to awesome machines like this :)

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It is a big job that needs a bit of planning to retain the haldex rear end properly, strip out all the unwanted 8L S3 bits carefiully, leaving the engine, transaxle and the comtrol ECU.

Whoever originally started that project, really needed to give it more thought as they literally tried stuffing an 8L S3 into a MK2 Golf. I own an 8L S3 and it does have a lot going on as a platform.

11. DJWilma New Member

Thanks for the input and youre not the first to say this

But why is this such an issue ? The S3 electronics can be disabled / removed with an AFM ECU only keeping whats needed. Haldex can be run from this too.

Then its just a case of wiring the Golf to the S3 steering column.

I could even add a custom dash like i have on my elise

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I know I am not.

To mount a haldex from an 8L S3 or 8N TT, my perferred safe choice is to use a Golf MK2 Syncro rear floor pan.
    The rest of the electrics can be binned if you wish to run an SEM and the electrics from the MK2 retro fitted. There is still a problem with that method.
    The orginal ESP/ABS module is configured to electronically bias a 1500kg vehicle with more brake force to the front, which is about 800+kg.
    This component you need to justify the complexity to keep or to bin and fit a simpler system.
    That leaves you with just the engine to control which can be run on the stock ME7 ECU or you can run a SEM that can crudely operate the haldex with a simple strategy.
    The idea for an aftermarket cluster is a good one. You will need it for speed readings, if you plan to use the 02M gearbox behind that engine.

You spoke to Darren recently. I also pointed him to the pictures of the car on here.
    What I said above involves a fairly complex operation to get right and is doable at great cost due to the labour involved.

If the AWD system is not important, that reduces cost to complete as the ABS/ESP can also be binned and the OEM loom can be converted by several guys in a generic format as well as the 02M gearbox can be removed and a 02J with MK2 wish bones and drive axles can be retro fitted.
    A MK/Mk3 rear beam can be fitted as well as a MK3 gas tank.

If the AWD system must stay, the cost goes up as you will have to find and build a sycrno floor pan to the rear of your vehicle.

The last folk who did that conversion, I just have to shake my head at that.