Engine mounts

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Joehough, May 26, 2018.

1. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Hi can anyone advise on engine mounts. I have a clunk when taking up drive. Have had a good poke around underneath, only things I noted was that the rear bushes of lower arms allow a fair bit of vertical movement, and the rear right engine mount is letting me lift the engine about half an inch without much resistance. I can also move the front mount to a lesser degree. I am guessing the old rock hard coilovers may have caused premature wearable only other thing could me top mount nuts when I fitted new B4 struts. I am borrowing impact driver to check them.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Rear mount is soft enough as standard. Check the inner cv bolts aren't loose .

Joehough likes this.
  3. Joehough

OK thanks will have a look

4. Joehough

Thanks Tristan
    Bolts were OK but port inner and outer cv joints got play and inner end splines a bit worn. Starboard outer got play, so 2 new complete driveshafts ordered from GSF. Also borrowed an impact driver and used it on top mounts.
    Cheers
    Joe

Tristan likes this.
  5. watercooled Forum Member

I have owned a lot of mk2's and granted they were all fairly old cars but never bought one that didn't have atleast one or more of the 3 mounts worn out,I learnt the hard way on my 88 that cheap no-brand rear mounts are a waste of money,had one that went soft after a very short time,oh well thought I may as well try filling the gaps to beef it up a little,used black marine grade Sikaflex and it worked great....for a while,the rubber still got softer over time till I changed it for a good used genuine one I found in a parts car I had.
    Over time I found the front and gearbox mounts are pretty tough,the rear mount really is doing so much of the hard work and gets the majority of abuse.
    Had issues with my son's mates car that failed inspection,the inspector was a Golf owner and said it was mounts but months before I had changed the front and rear which were the worst I had ever seen to point that gearshifting was very difficult .
    Took me about about 10mins to find that all 4 front subframe bolts very very loose,the guy hadn't done them up !!!!!,the smaller centre retaining bolts were rather flogged out also ,I hadn't come across this before.
    Good luck sorting it.