Wishbones, TT bushes and captive nut

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by vwg123, Jun 18, 2018.

1. vwg123 Forum Member

hello, hopefully someone would be kind enough to answer my questions below about Mk2 golf?

After getting my subframes blasted and powder coated I bought some new tt bushes for rear of the wishbone. When installing I noticed that my wishbones were not the same, they had different depths for the rear bush hole. Now i’m assuming this is because someone has used an after market wishbone as a replacement at some point.
    Question 1 - how do I make sure the bush in each wishbone is at the same level given the different depths of sleeves?
    Question 2 - when I installed the bushes and put them into the subframe the holes do not line up the same on each side. You can see from the photo one bush is sitting to the bottom left and the other which I didn’t take a photo of is sitting to the top right of the subframe hole, is this normal and/or is it acceptable?
    Question 3, I also have to weld in a new captive nut, do I just bolt up the subframe and weld away? can I be sure the subframe is sitting square? Are there any reference dimensions I can take to be sure it’s sitting correct or is there enough play across the bolts that it’s not needed?

Hopefully i’ve been clear enough!?

Attached Files:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

You don't use sleeves with the TT bushes .it's the "squeezing" action on the top and bottom of the centre boss of the Bush holds it in place .

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1 - try to use genuine wishbones if you can, otherwise just try and get the wishbones so they both sit about same height over the bush
    2 - jack wishbones so they sit level, then centre the bush in the subframe by eye
    3 - centre the captive nut over the hole in chassis as best you can then weld it down