Surprise, I’ve changed my swap again

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by afbiker02, Jun 13, 2018.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for the tach adapt you need the one I linked to, as it also needs to convert a 6 cylinder signal to 4 cylinder which the emerald unit cant do

for a really easy life just get one of the SEAT clutch cable adaptor kits, quite a few sellers do them now I think heritage again do a complete kit

2. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

I’ll have to look at heritage but I might have just found a pedal box just need to work out shipping.

I didn’t think about going from 6 to 4 cylinders for the rev counter, thanks for pointing that out.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It is a pain if you do not know where to get the bits and have to bring in a welder to relocate the gearbox platform.

Not a problem when you know how.

4. afbiker02

That is a very true statement. I’d have to bring in a welder and I think it’s just more hassle than it’s worth. I really just want an easy...ish swap with parts that are easy to replace when thing break.

5. Toyotec

BDF 24v engine.

The LEV1 version of an EU3 BDE, found over here in the Golf 4 motion and various other vehicles.

Folks here have used the 02M 6 speeder in MK2 vehicles, using components supplied from Epytec for engine mountings and custom shafts from Wilco on here that are grafted to MK2 outer axles. Then there is the challenge to get the MK2 speedo to work which is mechnical!
    I would only put in such effort if the level of power and torque can justify. At any rate for a high power car, you need internal gearbox modifications also.

This is why a 02A "GTI VR6" gearbox or one from Passat or Corrado VR6 will be sufficiant and less labour instensive is what the chaps in this post are really driving at. Personally with my resoruce, the 02M in a MK2 not a conversion I would consider if I were in your shoes.

I would recomened using the shifter+ cables from the Jetta GLi. However the bracket to hold the shifter cables will not work on an 02A/J gearbox housing.The shifter calbes will work with a 02A/02J gearbox bracket.
    Also a GTI VR6 shifter tower is the old type, so you might want to look at converting to newer A4 Jetta/Golf 1.8T 5 speed parts to suit the ends of the shifter.
    I know due to the vastness of the US, you might want to have the gearbox rebuilt based on the miles covered.
    EU MK2 Golf 1.3 speedo cable required.
    For the clutch actuation, my personal preference, which is on JENVEE, is mechanical from the EU only Seat varients or some Transporters or "Eurovan" for you.
    A 1.3 EU Golf MK2 clutch cable is used without any mods after. I also developed a bracket to allow the reverse lights to work with clutch cable on a 02J/02S shifter tower.

For MK2 cars using ME7 ECUs, you need the two A4 ECU looms that supply the ECU . One goes to the engine and relay, and the other goes to your fusebox via the pleumn under the wiper assembly. Looms will neeed converting to suit MK2 electrics. Your MK2 car was an A reg so has older EU CE1 unless it was updated.
    The loom that goes to the BDF engine, MAF and ECU relay, can be left in place and removed with the engine and gearbox when the front end of the doner is cleared out of the way.
    You want to also ensure you remove the 2 front LSU4.2 lambda sensors from the downpipes of the car. Black and Brown connections.

Egas pedal required from doner also.
    Pipes over exhaust shield should be retained unless you plan to relocate the degas bottle.
    MAF and ducts required.
    Runaround pump, fan control and hosees to be retained.
    Coolant hoses to be retained. These can be removed still bolted to the engine.
    SAI to be removed with ducts (ECU calibration to take this deleted part into account)

That is what I can remember at the moment.

I believe Mat who is active on here, built such a car. I can point him here also.

afbiker02 likes this.
  6. afbiker02

This is why I love this forum. You guys have always been here to help answer all the questions me and everyone else has.
    I was able to get a corrado pedal box today and it’s being put in the post from the UK to me here in the states.
    If you could send Mat this way so I can get his input too that would be great. Anything I can get rid of from the engine side that’s not required would be great to know about.

DN5 likes this.
  7. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

The only other thing I had to adjust slightly with the pedal box was the fuse box bracket.

Only needs minor adjustment to allow the box to fit in place.

afbiker02 likes this.
  8. Toyotec

Just the SAI, unless it is a legal requirement for 'readiness checks' on your converted car.

9. afbiker02

What’s the SAI?

10. DN5

11. afbiker02

Can I use the vr6 drive shafts with the mk2 4x100 hubs? I’m trying to save money on wheels. Lol

12. rubjonny

nope, vr6 is widetrack and outer cv has different spline. but you can keep your old shafts they'll fit vr6 gearbox :)

13. afbiker02

So if I use the standard mk2 control arms I can just use the mk2 drive shafts?

DN5 likes this.
  14. rubjonny

Yup :)

afbiker02 likes this.
  15. afbiker02

What recommended maintance should be done on the vr6 before putting it into the mk2? The engine had 200k on it.

16. afbiker02

Also, if I use an 02j/02a what clutch and flywheel do I use?

17. rubjonny

you need a VR6 flywheel & clutch kit :)

maintenance wise just all the obvious gaskets, belts, timing chain setup if no evidence of it having been done recently etc. you could open it up to check internal clearances etc, but if the engine was good and strong beforehand you should be fine to keep going

afbiker02 likes this.
  18. Toyotec

As the poster is in his territory - The USA, vehicles for the doner flywheel will be, Corrado SLC, GTI VR6 or a 1995 Passat GLX VR6.
    A new clutch kit for any of those makes can be used with the flywheel.
    As a VR owner, I do recomend replacing the chains and guides on the 12v before it is fitted to the car. The long guide is known to break with enough mileage.

afbiker02 likes this.
  19. afbiker02

So I’ve got a list going and so far it consist of:
    Timing chains and guides
    Gasket set
    Belts
    Oil and water pumps
    Coil packs(missing from donor car)
    Clutch and flywheel

20. DN5