Mk2 Golf Driver Brakes Advice: What to do first and how to do it!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by SimonMH, Jul 16, 2018.

1. SimonMH New Member

Hi All

I'm a long term owner of a 1990 Mk2 1.6 driver, EZ engine code. After a long SORN period, a few children and a long term construction project I've decided to get it back on the road for some weekend drives etc.

One of the (many) things on my list is brakes. AFAIK, I need to:
    Replace brake hoses on all wheels (2 were MOT advisories previously)
    Renew pads, discs and shoes
    Renew brake fluid
    Renew (at least) OSR metal brake pipe (previous MOT advisory)

Which one should I tackle first? on a wheel by wheel basis? or item by item i.e. all hoses, all pads etc.

Any recommendations / links on how to do each task?

Thanks in advance

Simon

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the order you fix things doesnt really make much of a difference really, though obv fluid change needs to be last ;)

If your front calipers have 'VWII' stamped on them then you can fit GTI 8v vented discs and pads for a slight upgrade, but if its all bone stock there is no real need. again your call.

main thing I would recommend is you get a proper 11mm flare/crows foor/brake pipe spanner this will reduce the risk of rounding off any brake fittings as you go round the car. for any flexi pipes you are going to replace cut them and slip a ring spanner up to get the best grip on the flexi side as well.

up front, make sure you dont for4get the rubber grommets that hold the pipes to the struts, its a real downer if you only realise once the brake fluid is all flushed nice :lol:

with the hard lines have a good look, and remove the heat shield under the car so you can fully inspect the one which runs from passenger side to driver side beam flexi, can rust under there where its hard to see.

for bleeding I've got one of those EZ bleed kits, does the job nice

3. SimonMH New Member

Thanks John, appreciated. Just ordered a flare spanner.

I've read elsewhere that it'd be better to keep as much fluid in the system as possible whilst doing the work, rather than draining it all and then doing the work.

Is there any mileage in that or is it better to simply drain it entirely and then do the work on it.

I'll be doing it over a few evenings / weekends - could a system left empty for a period cause another series of potential problems?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Personally I wouldnt worry too much about trying to keep as much fluid in there or drain it all, just do your work and avoid too much spillage etc. pop a bit of tape over any open ends just to keep your mind at rest

5. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Personally I would do as Rubjohnny says if you don't have an ezi bleed kit get one but if your bleeding it the oldfashion way just with a tube and a jar always keep as much fluid as poss in the system especially the master cylinder. If you are changing rusty steel brake pipes just cut them off next to the union (large pair of side cutters ( snips) are ideal) then use a six sided deep socket on the nipple this will get it off pretty much no matter how rusty the nipple is, as if they are bad a crowsfoot or 12 point spanner will round them off,obviously try the latter methods first.

6. SimonMH New Member

Ok guys, thanks.

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I've dumped all my brake fluid out, as rubjonny mentioned and easy blead makes light work of bleading (it holds 1 litre brake fluid and replaces all that you drain through the nipples).

I use a spare wheel pumped up to 5psi iirc.

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Many a happy time with 'easy bleed'. Hate the things with a passion.
    Best trick I've learned in the last 5 years is to get a supply of disposable medium sized syringes
    and syringe the master cylinder empty. Saves a lot of mess.
    Syringes are a consumable though as the fluid attacks the seals
    Jon

9. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

I got some funny looks from the ladies at the local chemist when I asked if I could buy a few syringes.

Since then the internet has been invented, which doesn't accuse me of being a drug addict!

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I think if you were using a 60cc syringe to inject yourself they were probably amazed you were still alive!.

11. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer