Mk2 golf fan not working e wi

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Blackie36, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Blackie36 New Member

Hi,I’m having an issue with my fan not kicking in and engine overheats,I’ve done all the checks like with the ignition on the connection off the thermostat at the bottom of the rad then bridging it the fan doesn’t work but when I run a live straight from the battery it works!Ive traced the wires back to the fuse box and tested for continuity and that was ok-Fuse is ok,But there is not voltage detected at the wire does the fan have a permanent live or is there a relay that controls it?

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. watercooled Forum Member

I don't remember but will try,there is a temp sensor on the rear by the valve cover make sure the wire is still on it,from memory this signals the fan to start due to the heat it senses from the head,these sensors don't fail often but can like any part.
    You could also run power direct to the fan to check that,3 wires to the fan motor,2 for power and a negative,good luck

3. Blackie36 New Member

I take it the 16v will be different is the temp sender on the side?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

theres a 2 pin spade plug near the passenger headlight, its unsealed so corrosion can build up there. the red is live, brown is earth so give it a good buff up and try again :)

5. rubjonny

also when checking voltages you should see 12v at the red wire on thermoswitch, and good earth on the fan brown wire. then you have 1 or 2 wires from thermoswitch to radiator fan, so pretty simple system

6. Blackie36 New Member

Hi,I take it the wire going to the fan should be a permanent live?

7. rubjonny

Yep permanent live to fan thermoswitch :)

8. Blackie36 New Member

I’m not detecting any volts on it and when I trace the wire back to the fuse box and check the wire for continuity it’s ok?any ideas?

9. rubjonny

did you check for the 2 pin spade plug I mention near the passenger headlight? it should be clipped to the side of the fan shroud but may have fallen off. if you unplug it you can remove the fan loom completly for check over and repair/replacement.

these unsealed connections can get really bad, a while back I checked a spade connection for an indicator plug and foudn the copper had turned to dust for a good inch under the insulation, looking at it you couldnt tell anything was wrong sicne terminal was still crimped and the insulation looked clean...

10. Blackie36 New Member

Yeah I unplugged it and it doesn’t look to bad that’s where I checked the continuity from and it was ok but couldn’t detect a voltage through it?I take it the spade connection can come out of the plastic cover?

11. rubjonny

Yes you can remove the spades, the male one is easy enough use a thin tool to lever the tab in. Female side more tricky as you got to lever the tab in and also poke another tool in the back on the other side to release 2nd lock mechanism in the housing.

If you don't see voltage maybe the fuse has a hairline crack in it or the socket terminals are dirty or bent out of shape

12. Blackie36 New Member

Cool I’ll check can you confirm what fuse number it will be?

13. rubjonny