O2a in mk2 scirocco

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by DAMIT, Oct 25, 2017.

1. DAMIT Forum Member

I've got a mk2 Rocco with ABF and O2A box. The problem is the gearchange is really rubbish, ie. long throw and not at all precise.
    I was unable to fit the standard O2A shift weight as there's no room so I know this may affect it; but is there a way to improve this set up at all.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1st step is have a really good look to see if there is wear in the shifter tower or gearstick anywhere. when in good condition these setups are not half as bad as people make out :) you can get uprated parts for them which helps too

the alternative is swap to the late type mk4 02J shifter setup, need the stick, cables and tower plus if you have the SEAT cable clutch kit some jiggery is needed so the cable clears the reverse switch

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What shifter mechanism are you using?

4. DAMIT Forum Member

Sorry for not replying earlier I didn't realise you had responded to my question. It is the stock 02A shifter and cables.
    I have since acquired a MK4 shifter set up following rubjonnny's comment. Thanks for responding

5. DAMIT Forum Member

Just thought I'd mention that I decided to go with rubjonny's suggestion and I have converted to the Mk4 02J shifter set up, and for anybody contemplating doing this I would say just go ahead and do it. The difference is like night and day, although I should point out that my car is a track toy so issues with reverse light switch and making the gear stick installation look factory are not issues for me.
    Thanks again to rubjonny and Toyotec for your responses