Mk3 serpentine conversion with power steering question

Discussion in '16-valve' started by dub303, Mar 22, 2019.

1. dub303 Forum Member

I am collecting the parts to convert my Mk2 16v KR with power steering. The only part I'm not sure about is the PS pump. From what I can see there are 2 options:

1. Find a spacer to push the pulley back in line.

2. Fit the 2 lower brackets from a mk3.

My lower bracket is broken and my pump so rotten a bolt has sheared, so kind of want to do option 2 but I haven't found any info on this or know if it is possible. Will I need a mk3 pump? Will I then need new hoses? Will any brackets from a 1.8 or 2.0 golf mk3 fit.

Can anyone help who has done this?

Cheers.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Any pics ? I'm only familiar with the 8v .

3. dub303 Forum Member

No pics yet, still collecting the parts to swap over. But the ABF crank pulley/damper (serpentine) is wider, so the 2nd pulley (v belt) that bolts onto it sits further out.
    I then need to fit a flat water pump pulley from a 1.8 or 2 litre mk3 golf that should align correctly by using mk3 alternator and bracket. (Pretty sure I re-use the water pump from my KR).

Then it's just the power steering to figure out and finding correct belts.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

any 1.8-2.0 8v & 16v mk3 including diesel will do for pump and lower brackets, they're all the same. some 1.6 models also use the same setup so keep em peeled in your local scrappy.

For the alternator setup 1.8-2.0 petrol all the same fit, except on the crank pulley which is 16v specific so you need that from an ABF or modify an 8v one to fit. there are 3 different versions of the alternator setup on petrol cars, early non-ac with spring loaded alternator, early non-ac with beefier alternator which has the tensioner roller, and late ac/non-ac with tensioner roller.

The 2 tensioner roller setups are similar, just the ac version has the holes for ac compressor and the alternator sits slightly higher and further away from the block so needs a different belt. from around 1996 this bracket was used for all petrol 1.8-2.0 regardless of if ac is fitted or not.

5. dub303 Forum Member

Great info as usual, thank you for taking time to write all that. Gonna go for the full brackets and pump.
    Will I use mk2 or mk3 hoses on mk3 pump? Guess I'll find out if mine disintegrate when I start the job.

Cheers fella

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can use either, mk3 more likely to be found in decent nick and use a nicer banjo bolt fitment in the pump :) the feed pipe from rack to pump fits right on with a coupel tweaks, if using the mk2 PAS bottle the pipe from rack to bottle needs cutting down a bit as the mk3 bottle sits in front of the battery. also pipe from bottle to pump is different due to this, but its just a bit of rubber hose so easy enough to sort out.

some have found the mk2 pipe leaks when fitted to the mk3 pump, if worried you can unscrew the pipe insert from the pump and swap it over. but I've never had an issue on mine but then again all the pipes were new at the time so that may help vs trying to use ones with 30+ year old seal

7. dub303 Forum Member

Thanks again :thumbup: