5x120 on Mk2?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by THERMT, Sep 15, 2019.

1. THERMT Forum Member

I have a set of 5x120 BMW fitment wheels that i want to fit to my Mk2. i have a set of 4x100 to 5x120 adapters that are 15mm but these will make the wheels stick out too far.

Question is can I use mk3 5x100 hubs and weld and re-drill them?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I dont think there would be enough meat on the outside of the hub to do that, you'll have the holes 10mm closer to the edge and from this pic that wouldnt leave much. cant really increase the outer diameter of the hub either as you'll probably find discs no longer fit. often they're machined to be a pretty close fit to the outside of the hub, though this does depend on manufacturer.

other issue is if you're using mk3 bearing carriers ideally you need to use the wishbones too so that'll make you wider track. the ball joints are fixed offset to central on mk3 which pushes the wheel out of line in the wheel arch and messes with the camber settings. you could modify mk2 wishbones to fix this though.

if you go mk2 bearing carriers with mk3 hubs pressed this is an option but you'll have to re-drill 4 stud discs and as above with mk3 or widened hub you may find the discs wont fit. The mk3 hubs are wider diameter than mk2 and this alone has scuppered some people wanting to convert to 5 stud as they found the 4 stud discs wouldnt fit over the 5 stud hubs

Attached Files:

3. THERMT Forum Member

Thanks for the reply jonny!

Ok so this isn't going to work.

I really wanted these wheels on the car. (Borbet B 16x9). Fatal error was not checking the fitment before the impulse purchase

4. Farmerchris

Farmerchris Paid Member Paid Member

if there's loads of meat on the wheel centre mounting face you could perhaps have the wheel turned down. would be worth checking with an expert who knows what minimum is safe.

or look into arch rolling/extensions/flares.

i think golf rallye are wider but have different wings all together

https://images.app.goo.gl/GniarPpdsduppnsb9