Suspension / wheel advice

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Paul steadman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Paul steadman Paid Member Paid Member

Hi , a complete novice needs some advice re suspension and wheels , recently purchased 1990 mk2 gti , suspension all round needs replacing and currently has crap alloys on it 14’s , I don’t know what to do to improve looks and handling , I know I want to put BBS alloys on it but do I put standard dampers and springs with maybe some 15’s alloys or lower it a tad with 14s’s ? What do standard suspension sit at and what would people recommend to lower to or don’t lower just fill the arch with bigger wheels , any advice most appreciated , thanks in advance

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Bilstein b4 with -30 Eibachs on mine. 15 inch wheels (g60 steels or BBS RAs) , 195 50 15s. Handles great , doesn't rub, I can still go over speed bumps and very bad roads comfortably , yet take on track at trackdays.

Also the slight drop makes them look a bit nicer, without looking "slammed".

That said, I'd sacrifice some comfort next time for firmer dampers up front.

Paul steadman likes this.
  3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Personally I like originality :thumbup:
    For road use 15” and standard suspension looks fine go for a 20mm drop if you want minimal arch gap but still have decent comfort.
    Adjustable shocks add a bit if you want to spice up your pace now and again .
    Get some reasonable rubber not budget tyres it’ll help with the grip .

My thoughts others will offer alternatives :thumbup:

Paul steadman likes this.
  4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I agree with Sirguydo - the GTI I bought has coilovers and granted it may be related to my age but the ride is horrible and it's getting binned for a standard 16v set-up (approx. 10mm lower than the 8v)

Paul steadman and Sirguydo like this.
  5. Paul steadman Paid Member Paid Member

So my next question is I see you can get oil filled or gas filled dampers which ones what’s all that about which do I go for , like I said I am a complete novice with minimal mechanical knowledge , I likening the sound of standard 16v set up with 15s on my 8v

6. Paul steadman Paid Member Paid Member

Can someone send me an eBay link for the correct bilstein shocks and eibach springs for my car a 1990 mk2 gti 1.8 , 8v I liking the idea of the 16v set up if it slightly lower than the 8v thanks !!

7. Tristan

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  8. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

I have Bilstein b4s with Eibach pro kit (30mm drop) still rides nice but very little roll on corners. Front end feels a bit soft sometimes, but that could be my cheapish tyres. I remember in th 90s swapping from original Pirelli p600s to wider bf Goodrich, and ruined the previous go kart feel. So tyres do make a big difference. Coilovers are in my opinion a waste of time for real world road surfaces, unless spending around £1000 for proper ones.

9. Paul steadman Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you for all your replies very helpful

10. Tristan

Front of mine is exactly the same, Joe

11. Joehough

Hi Tristan
    Have you got decent tyres on it? I wonder if the eibach front springs are a bit weak for 16 v being slightly heavier front end. It's fine on smooth roads, just doesn't feel fully planted on bumpy corners.

12. Tristan

I had some good spec Hankooks, and now on Michelin PS3s, Toyo R888r on track. Mines an 8v, I actually feel like the dampers aren't controlling the spring and letting it "pogo" slightly.
    I'll probably go for b8 up front if I get them at good value.

Not that this should put off the OP, they're still better than stock and great value.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  13. pigbladder Forum Addict

did you get the bilstein listed for 16/g60 or non

would like a new set of oem quality dampers for my g60 but soft fronts dont sound so good

14. Tristan

I went for 16v as I run mk3 top mounts, which raise the car slightly, so the slightly lower 16v ones keep the rake angle correct.

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

when you mention a bit soft ...is that a bit softer than you would prefer or not quiet up to the job , seen a few comments theyre a bit soft

16. Tristan

Bilstein B4 - These are classed as a replacement damper. A few B4 variations exist depending on the vehicle application but these are all intended to replace the standard shocks fitted when the car was new.

Bilstein B6 - A non adjustable sport damper which is painted yellow. The B6 damper is designed for the motorist that wants a sporty ride without lowering the car or changing the original springs.

Bilstein B8 - just like the B6 shock absorber but shorter. These are only for use with lowering springs or where listed for vehicles with factory sports suspension. The are shorter to ensure the all important coil spring pre load as lowering springs are shorter than OE springs.

So B4 would be spot on with standard springs. They only appear soft I think as the Eibachs are shorter and stiffer than stock.
    I don't mind trading some comfort for more track biased handling, so I'm going to consider b8s.
    I drove a friend's Vr6 Corrado on the B8s with Eibachs and it was sublime on country roads.

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

do you have a photo how yours sits with the eibachs please

i think id go b6 if money wasnt as issue

18. Tristan

The black car above (8v) is on the b4/-30 kit for a 16v and mk3 top mounts same as mine.
    I fitted it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My car isn't fancy, and is rarely clean so doesn't get photographed often lol!
    In the cornering shot above, I'm pushing it quite hard.

19. Tristan

Agreed, though I'd go b8 on account of having lowering springs. But either would be great I bet.

20. Joehough

A bit softer than I would prefer, but only on the occasional bumpy bend. One of my favourite local twisty lanes is nice and smooth and it feels great when I press on. So overall I am happy with them.