Mk2 Scirocco ABF

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Mk2daz, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

Bought this at the start of summer as it came up locally and was nice and cheap, thought id start a thread on here detailing the work i have done to it so far, copy and pasting build posts iv made on a local forum. Enjoy :)

part 1 - 01/05/2019

This thing cropped up locally just recently, went and had a looky on sunday, ended up striking a deal and got it yesterday

Quick spec:

1991 Mk2 scirocco GT2, 107k, recently resprayed but not the best of jobs, coilovers, some tidy alloys, new brakes all round, new weber carb, new-ish exhaust, interior is mint, shell appears to be relatively solid

Currently not starting as no spark, yet to spend any time into this but hopefully have it running over next few days, its been off the road for 8 years

I have no real plan for this thing, ideally i'd like to stick in a 16V on twin 40s, however i think a respray and some attention to the little 8v will suffice for now

Unlike many others I'm a big fan of these and you don't see very many of them at all!

pics :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  2. Mk2daz

Part 2 - 20/05/2019

So as mentioned this thing is a non runner.

Spent some time with the mulitmeter on the ignition circuitry and after a new TCI unit and some clean plugs she fired up on all fours

upload_2019-11-18_13-27-0.gif
    The carb ideally needs tweaked a bit as seems to be running rich, it was also pissing out oil from the rocker cover gasket.

Underneath seems solid and somebody in the past has got excited with their paint brush

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've fitted a new rocker cover gasket and in the process of doing so found that the camshaft had a sheared bolt and one of the lobes was chipped, luckily i have a spare head so was able to swap this out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cleaned up all the brakes which were all new , Outer CV boot swapped as old one was split and CV grease was everywhere! new mechanical fuel pump and done away with the swirl pot so carb gets direct supply. Ripped out aftermarket alarm, cleared the fuel tank of any crud using a light and magnet, Cleaned up all of the earths and took it for a short spin around the block, drives alright but it feels slow and tired, as its not been driven in a very long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  3. Mk2daz

Part 3 - 20/05/2019

I realised that this needs some more beef under the bonnet and over the weekend picked up the new heart

2.0L 16v ABF

[​IMG]

As far as im aware using the scirocco 020 box this should drop right on to the existing mounts, I'll just need to convert the loom and sort out some supply of fuel using mk1 gti pumps, there will be lots of other little things like custom downpipe etc but this shouldnt be too much trouble to do.

Got stuck in over the weekend by removing the exhaust, rear beam, fuel tank and filler neck to inspect. Filler neck is whole and after a good rub down will be protected and painted and reused, the tank was also whole but quite pitted in some areas so fresh tank on order from ClassicVW. The rear beam, ARB and various brackets are down at the local powder coaters getting done and i have new bushes on order. Passenger sill where it meets the rear arch may need a small plate welded in as its looking a bit crusty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the rear end is built up again and its a rolling car I'll pull the engine out and start prepping the shell for paint.

Hoping to really get stuck in to this and get it done in quick succession as I'm keen to be driving old skool in the summer again [​IMG]

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good work so far, looks like a nice solid base to work from :)

5. Mk2daz

it sure is, like many old VWs with bodykits the sciroccos are common for rear arch/sill rust from water being lodged in the kits, this one wasnt to bad!

6. Mk2daz

Part 4 - 26/05/2019

removed the bodykit from the rear end to inspect the arches, on both sides where the sill meets the arch it was getting crusty, so this weekend was spent welding em up

they weren’t perfect but the bodykit will be covering them so I’m happy enough with the job, this thing is pretty damn solid too, vw fairly got the underseal on there thick back in the day

All areas of surface rust underneath has been grinded down and coated in red bonda rust preventer, gave all the welds a good couple coats of this stuff to, I will seam seal the welds tommorow before stonechipping and painting over

gave the arches and rear valance a couple coats of primer and I will stonechip and paint these tommorow too

also gave the new fuel tank and the filler neck a good few coats of red bonda, these will also get stonechipped and painted over

hopefully collect the rear axle tommorow so I can start rebuilding the rear end and get it back down on all fours

Some pictures from over the weekend below

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  7. Mk2daz

Part 5 - 27/05/2019

Unfortunately couldn’t crack on as much as I wanted to tonight as with it being the bank holiday the stonechip and gun to go with it never arrived

but I managed to get the pass side rear arch in primer and seam sealed the welding I had done, so when the stonechip stuff arrives I can get stuck in straight away

[​IMG]

Iv got some tiger seal for refitting the bodykit and Iv bought some sealey suction clamps for keeping it in place while the sealant cures - hoping to replicate what this fella has done in some way!

[​IMG]

Working my way forward from the back I know the passenger door had some rust near the A pillar, decided to remove windows and strip down door to get a better look with the hope I could repair it and save the door, this is what I found!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

luckily I have a spare door from another project that I will be able to just swap over

A small update but a bit of progress none the less

erreesse likes this.
  8. Mk2daz

Part 6 - 01/06/2019

Bit more progress on the scirocco

Stonechip arrived with the air compressor gun to fire it on too, masked up the back and gave two coats of stonechip to the rear arches, rear valance, everywhere that was welded and sections of the floor i had grinded down and red bonda'd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that i threw some primer over the stonechip and then proceeded to paint everything, i even cleaned up the wheel tubs and threw some red on them, filler neck and tank have been painted black and should hopefully now last the life of the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Local Powder coaters said my rear beam and ARB etc was in the ovens yesterday so should be collectable today hopefully, and I can build that back up, rebuild the drums and fit my new handbrake cables and get her down on all fours again

Theres not enough room in the garage to remove the rotten door so once its down il get that swapped over, i have removed the good door from my other rocco so its ready to fire on

[​IMG]

I have also started an instagram where il be posting some more of the build, feel free to follow and i'll follow you back - @Mk2daz

erreesse likes this.
  9. Mk2daz

Part 7 - 20/06/2019

Another delayed update as I have been in Houston for 10 days

However between that and the last update the rear end is now built back up and the car is back on the deck again - got new bushes, arb bushes, pivot bolts, crazyQuiff ARB clamps, painted the drums in some leftover red, sorted the overspray on the plastic inner arch cover too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also fitted my replacement door, and deleted the rear wiper with a 2 quid blanking plug, ace

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can really see the poor paint job in this picture!

[​IMG]

Been removing loads of stuff from the engine bay in prep for the engine removal, all the loom is fully labelled up so shouldnt cause to many issues when it comes to sticking in the ABF and splicing the plugs.

The weber carb is up for sale \/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried removing engine from the bay however the drivers side mount is causing me trouble as the bolt is rusted to the slider it sits in, my air compressor is awaiting new valves so i cannot use my air saw to cut the bolt away, tried chapping it out and heating it right up, soaking it in fluid etc etc but it wasnt to budge, so hopefully the airsaw will snap it and the engine will be free to drop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what i can see the clutch cable section of the bulkhead has been welded previously and will need done again, other than that it just needs a rub down and some paint, maybe cut some of the spare brackets off and weld any unused grommet holes up to tidy it up, but in all honesty I aint bothered about show car status, a nice tidy OEM looking bay is all im after, this car will be getting driven in all conditions [:D]

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  10. Mk2daz

Part 8 - 04/07/2019

Small update from last post

Engine oot! Had to really heat up the stuck mount and some aggressive use of the hammer seen it free

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then started removing servo, brake linkages, wiring loom, all grommets and plastic clips etc ready for sanding the bay, cut out the old piersburg vacuum reservoir bracket and started to degrease everything

Iv rubbed down and sprayed the servo and brake linkage brackets etc in black to freshen them up

[​IMG]

the clutch cable section on the bulkhead turned out to be not to bad actually, Iv rubbed it down and seam sealed the previous welds , it’s pretty solid there was just silicone everywhere for some reason!

disconnected the box from the engine to retain the flywheel etc but then ended up buying an 020 with quaife LSD installed, its an early box with some better ratios!. This box has 90mm flanges and unfortunately the casing would need swapped for it to take my 100mm driveshafts, so Iv ordered some second hand 90mm shafts which I got for cheap which should handle the abf no bother. Also ordered a mk2 golf gti rad and fan shroud which I will clean up and paint and use, which is a small upgrade from the slightly smaller rad that was previously on the car.

[​IMG][​IMG]

with the engine bay now stripped I could see that the front panel was starting to rust right through the ‘grill’ section and there was a fair bit of filler hiding beneath the paint too, so I just cut it all out and started to fabricate my own panel, this bit is pretty much fully hidden by the front bumper so doesn’t need to be spot on, I just need to find where I have lost my swage tool so I can pop some holes in the panel for extra strength, then some filler etc

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

started sanding the bay last night, Been going with 400 wet and dry so far and it’s a slow slow process, Not really caring about smooth bay and all that just want the OEM look with a decent finish on it

[​IMG][​IMG]

Things on the to do

- finish prepping and paint engine bay

- tidy up the abf (bolt up the box, new Sachs clutch, do timing belt + water pump, degrease and paint)

-new engine rubber mounts as originals are shot

- new master cylinder, Iv read somewhere about a Ford Focus setup??

- weld up a custom downpipe using the abf downpipe and the scirocco downpipe into 1

- splice up the engine looms to marry up to the ce1 fusebox

- mk1 golf gti fuel pump set up

- paint whole car

and probably heaps more !

erreesse likes this.
  11. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Watched this getting its exhaust being made/fitted at Turrif tyres the other weekend..

12. Mk2daz

Thats the one, my updates will eventually catch up to that ;)

13. Mk2daz

Part 9 - 18/07/2019

Been rubbing down and degreasing the engine bay by hand for past handful of days.

Last night i sprayed three coats of epoxy primer, tonight will be high build primer then tommorow night flatten and then hit it with some red

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  14. Mk2daz

Part 10 - 18/07/2019

Few coats of highbuild primer last night, this morning got up early before work and put in an hour of work to stone-chip relevant areas so that it would be dry by the time I was finished work for basecoat

and this evening I flatted out the high build and gave it a few coats of tornado red.

these photos are before the final coat, however I’m pretty happy with the result, especially for my first time using the spray gun and in my dusty garage!

Pics

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    erreesse likes this.
  15. Mk2daz

Part 11 - 30/08/2019

Should have updated this a long time ago..

since spraying the engine bay Iv done three things mainly

- rebuilt and plumbed up the brakes, new master cylinder, reservoir, new brake lines, new cylinders in the drums etc, these are all ready to be bled now

- rebuilt the Abf engine (externals only), it’s had new gaskets just about everywhere other than head gasket, new water pump, timing belt kit, new Sachs clutch, bolted up to the 020 with quaife LSD

- fixed up the rust on the front panel and sprayed red

Some pics

master cylinder plumbed up using only 2 ports to leave space for the ABF dizzy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine and gearbox mounts cleaned and painted

[​IMG]

Abf gearbox split

[​IMG]

And block stripped further

[​IMG]

Fully stripped and holes covered up for degreasing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Block painted in black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rocker cover painted in VHT red

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to piece back together

[​IMG]

Timing belt and water pump fitted

[​IMG]

Cleaning up the 020 with LSD, amazing how heavy the LSD is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Box fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inlet manifold painted

[​IMG]

Red done with a very small paint brush, need steady hands for this !

[​IMG]

Fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

other ancillaries bolted on, new crankshaft bolt and pulley bolts where needed

[​IMG]

Cam cover adapted to use scirocco engine mount, new rubber mount pressed in too

[​IMG]

Rest of engine ancillaries fitted, loom and plastics etc

[​IMG]

Finito

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old pic of the rust on the front panel

[​IMG]

Cut it out and welded in couple sheets

[​IMG]

Ended up cutting out the rest of the teeth as they were too fiddly to work with and with my swage tool made some holes for additional strength

light skim of filler to get it all smooth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stonechipped

[​IMG]

And painted with the gun

[​IMG]

Heres how she currently sits, awaiting her new heart, which I am hopefully gonna attempt to bolt up this weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and I also bought some Audi 80 VDO gauges for the centre console, no actual pictures of them but il be fitting them to the centre console in place of the ashtray like so

[​IMG]

more updates to follow, check out @Mk2daz on instagram for more frequent updates if your interested - cheers

erreesse likes this.
  16. Mk2daz

Part 12 - 08/09/2019

Since last post:

Moved the Rocco into the shed my old man and I have been building for a while now, much easier to work on

got the ABF bolted in

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bolted up my new 90mm driveshafts for the earlier 020 box

[​IMG]

Removed early GTX interior from one of my other sciroccos that I’m going to clean up and use, I’m breaking that car for parts if anyone is interested in anything

[​IMG]

Layed out both the looms ready for stripdown

[​IMG]

ABF loom stripped down of anything not engine related leaving plugs F, G1 and G2

[​IMG]

Scirocco loom stripped down of anything related to the engine, i.e. coolant / oil temp plugs (exc dash temp signal) and the carb loom

[​IMG]

Tested the loom lengths next to each other in the bay after stripping them down, abf loom is very long but can be tucked away no problem once taped up

[​IMG]

both looms spliced together, I binned the ABF coil as the mk1/2 tci and coil is more reliable and will give me rev counter signal, so spliced that up to work with abf ecu, only thing missing is the ECU relay holder wiring which I’m gonna do once I get a hold of both the relay (mk3 30) and holder from another car, keeping the loom untaped until I know the car is running then I will tidy it up with some tessa loom tape, I also need to get a mk2 digifant fuel pump relay (18/67 I think)

[​IMG]

Removed rear quarter glass ready for sanding down the shell for paint, also removed the doors and have been rubbing those down too, the tailgate will come off for some light work around the number plate lights too before paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bodykit fitted again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a GTX zender spoiler which I’m considering putting on with a scirocco rear window decal as below, but I also quite like the no spoiler look with the decal too... hmmm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New mk2 golf gti 8v radiator bolted in, luckily the scirocco has slots for this size rad already.

Also put in some mesh grill on the front panel to fill in the gaps, I quite like it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats where I’m at, today I also made up a loom for the fuel pumps as this car was previously carb’d so never had this loom, I never got any pictures unfortunately and the loom is tucked under the carpet now

also fitted a mk2 polo lift pump and sender in the tank, this will feed into a mk1 cabby swirl pot then into an under car 044 main pump, I have some new braided fuel lines to plumb all of this up which I will hopefully do tommorow

i also need to plumb in the radiator and weld up a custom downpipe that clears the steering rack and gear linkage. Once this is done it’s case of fitting the exhaust and putting in some fuel and turning the key for the first time!

Updates to follow!

erreesse likes this.