Swap from 2.0 2e to abf

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by AleeexGF, Nov 13, 2019.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

worst case if abf engiens are hard to find you can use an AGG or ADY code block and swap all the abf internals over, does mean new rings and re-hone though

2. AleeexGF New Member

2e Oilpan fit on abf?? How can i make clutch hydraulic? I have all from donor car.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  3. rubjonny

yep, most 1.6-1.8 8v or 16v VW engines from mid 80s to late 90s use the same pan. once you fit a steel pan the extra alloy bracket doesnt fit any more, though yours is smashed up so you wont want to re-use it anyway. as I say you use a corrado/passat 4 cyl tin plate to fill the gearbox hole instead

4. AleeexGF New Member

If i can’t put again this alloy bracket, i can put my gearbox on my engine? the 2.0 8v oilpan have the same quantity of oil?

5. rubjonny

yep and yep, the corrado 2.0 16v uses a normal steel pan with 02a gearbox just uses a different shaped steel plate to fill the gap behind the gearbox to the 020 version. can probably modify the 2e one to fit

6. AleeexGF New Member

I will try to fit any bracket because if i left free space, dust and water get behind the flywheel.. so i put the 2.0 8v oilpan on the abf.
    https://i.postimg.cc/GpG9mHrt/6175-C51-F-B3-BD-442-E-8-B6-C-E9-C8338634-C5.png
    Rubjonny u think i can reuse this gearbox? I can welding it.. no oil leaks from it ? This gearbox is very rarely is with lsd in it..
    And rubjonny can u give me some ideas how can i upgrade to hydro clutch on my golf without change all pedals?

7. rubjonny

looking at that pic its just the bottom of the bellhousing thats sheared off, so you shouldnt see any oil leaks from it, I would clean it off all round the area make sure there are no fine cracks that are hard to spot under all the dirt. file smooth any sharp corners to reduce risk of further cracking then make something up to fill the hole left, the thin metal plates wont do much when theres a big chunk of bellhousing missing :(

you dont have to change the pedal box on a mk3 golf to go hydro, just fit the clutch master, slave and pipe off a mk3 abf, tdi or vr6. theres a little steady bracket inside the car to give a bit more strength to the pedal assembly but its just a bit of flat steel bent into shape which fits around the master cylinder and bolts up to a hole in the main pedal box so easy to make your own if you dont have a donor car to rob one from

8. AleeexGF New Member

My car have immo. Donator car have immo too. It’s ok if i swap just ecu and immobox without ring ?

9. rubjonny

you can either:
    1. keep the 2E immo box and chip, code it to abf ecu with vagcom
    2. swap the ABF immo box and chip to your car/key
    3. defeat immo

the ring isnt paired to anything so you can use either, i would take the abf one as spares if its known good as they can fail :)

erreesse likes this.
  10. AleeexGF New Member

Is possibly to have hole for master cylinder drilled in firewall in my golf? Some persons say no, some say yes.. now i’m not at home to check this. My car is 1996. If i don’t have this hole drilled from factory, i think i put 020 gearbox on my abf or a 2y gearbox. [:D]

11. rubjonny

12. AleeexGF New Member

I want to remove abs and climatronic from wiring loom of donor car. Which plugs, pins and wires need to remove? In this loom i have a fan control box, how can i remain to my simple fan ?

13. rubjonny

ABS loom is simple, only a few connections near the fusebox plus a couple fuses clipped on top of the fusebox then it all comes out. it comes in on the passenger side just behind the abs control unit then over to the fusebox side.

climate loom you'll need to strip the dash down so you can remove all of its associated wiring, including the main dash harness as there are a couple connection points between this and the climate loom you need to copy over to your car

I'm assuming you want to install climate + abs in your car? If so there are 2 things to look at, first is the connection points between the climate loom and main loom for live and ignition live, should be quite easy to replicate these in your car once you have it all laid out. other potential issue is the abs loom, if there is a missmatch in age between the 2 cars the bulkhead hoes will be different, so you may have to swap the grommet over to suit your car same as you would for the ECU loom if that didnt match

14. AleeexGF New Member

No, i want to remove the climate and abs loom from wiring and put wiring in my car. In donor car the installation is separately and in my car is together.