Mk2 brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by dodgy, May 3, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

So we have a mk2 1.6cl golf now, just spent the day welding rear arch and sill, and doing few little things here and there in the garage.
    I'll admit I haven't taken front wheels off yet, but presume it has 239mm brakes and probably the hubs with carriers integrated.
    To upgrade to 280mm ( which I did on my mk2 caddy) I'll need mk2 gti hubs to accept the carriers and 54mm calipers, but obviously nowadays they are a bit thin on the ground, at a sensible (read cheap) price.
    So, my question is, do mk3 hubs bolt on, mk2 caddy, ibiza, tdi etc still 4 stud non gti version.
    I do have a mk3 widetrack setup complete off a gti but was keeping that for a project with Cupra R discs on it.
    Wanted to stay 4 stud on mrs Cs car but she can be enthusiastic with it sometimes, so brake upgrade would be sensible and the 280s fill 15s nicely.
    And any advice on master cylinder with 280s.
    Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah higher spec mk3 non-gti have them, cabrio good source. plus caddy tdi, seat ibiza/toledo/cordoba tdi, 16v and 20v, polo saloon or estate tdi all have what you need.

mk2 16v 22mm master is what you want

erreesse and dodgy like this.
  3. dodgy

Thanks RJ, suppose would be good if could get an ibiza shorter master cylinder.
    Is the servo recommended to upgrade, does the mk3 type fit?

4. rubjonny

you only need the stubby cylinder when doing a 20v swap, otherwise stick to the 22mm mk2 16v one :)

you can upgrade your servo also any 1.8 mk2 will have the 9" or you can modify the mk3 servo to fit. have to chop the end off and cut a thread into it

erreesse likes this.
  5. dodgy

Got another question on the brakes, After getting hold of an ibiza rear beam yesterday, stripping it and trial fitting other calipers and discs. Pleased with the outcome, now boxed for future use, but in discussions about putting the 1.8t in the mk2.
    The 1.6 has drums, and not got a brake proportion valve or inline, and no brackets that I can see to fit on the beam.
    So if I fitted rear discs, presumably I'd need some type of valve (no abs so easier for stub axles too)
    Any idea what to grab them off, Inline ones probably easiest, I'm sure I've seen them on a master cylinder, but cant remember what on.
    My old caddy van i used polo discs but it had beam mounted valve that had to be shortened with axle flip and had no problem with brake balance.
    Here's some pics, Leon Cupra R setup on ibiza/polo hubs and stubs, just need the lupo gti style backplate to bolt to golf.

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  6. dodgy

Got fronts too, nicely on vr6 hubs

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  7. dodgy

Knew I'd seen reduction valve somewhere recently,
    Stubby focus master cylinder thread, 2 birds, one stone eh?

Attached Files:

8. rubjonny

they're fitted to post-84 cab/rocco, possibly 1.4 mk3 golf and you can have them from other cars too.

before you go that route check the rear lines carefully, if theres any signs of rot may as well plumb in the proper valve same time you're re-doing the rear lines. in particular get the heat shield off often rusts behind there where you cant see

9. dodgy

Cheers RJ, all the lines on golf are brand new, throughout, the guy we got it off completely sorted the underside, polybushed new rear beam, shocks, brakes, springs, refurbished K frame, just had bodywork to sort, which we're doing.
    Got a master cylinder off a focus ordered with the reducers on.

10. rubjonny

alright definitely not worth trying to install the under car valve then, inline the way to go :)

dodgy likes this.