Best way of mounting speakers in the standard Mk2 golf door cards!

Discussion in 'ICE' started by adrian_hassall, Feb 2, 2009.

1. adrian_hassall

adrian_hassall New Member

Hello
    Just brought some Rainbow SAX 5 1/4 inch components and a Genisis Profile 2 amp to run them.
    Want to fit the speakers in the original door pockets behind the standard grilles in my Mk2 Golf Gti to keep things OEM looking, how have people fitted speakers in the past? Mk2 doorcards are **** and the speaker mounts to the actual grille rather than the door its self so it will be hard to get a decent sound from them.
    I was thinking of makin some MDF baffles up that screw into the door itself which i can mount the speakers to so that the actual Door card slots over the top will this affect the sound produced from the speakers though? With the Magnet being enclosed by the MDF baffle?
    Has anyone else done this? Got any pics or tips?

The other thing is where have people mounted amps? I've seen a few behind the rear door card in the actual rear quarter but i'm abit worried about the damp though. (The profile2 amp isnt exactly a cheap bit of kit! dont want it being ruined!!) Was thinking of behind the rear wheel turret as well in the boot but my boots always full of kit or the kids buggys so i'm abit worried about it being damaged!

Again any help or pics would be great
    thanks Ade

2. thegave Forum Member

put the amp under the front pax seat.

for information on mounting door speakers see this thread

3. oldskooldub Forum Member

I am going to have the same speaker problem when the car comes back from the bodyshop. I also would like to keep things OEM but I think I am going to have to opt for custom door pockets, it would be interesting to see how you get them mounted and if it works ok. also good choice in amps I have a five channel ready to go in the mk2 and have a profile 4 in the van, they are both fantastic.

4. adrian_hassall

Started to have a play about and cut some thin 5mm plywood that will screw into the actual door behind the door card, i've then made up 2 18mm baffles that i'll glue and screw together that will sit inside the actual speaker enclosure on the door card itself these will then be screwed and sealed on to the ply on the metal door.
    The speaker will be then attached to these baffles. In theory the door card should now just be able to slide over the wooden baffles and speaker and hey presto the speakers have a solid base and they still sit in behind the standard grilles keeping the OEM look!
    Just gotta find somewhere to place the crossovers and i'm putting the tweeters into the internal wing mirror cover.

Yeah the Genisis amps are great bits of kit, cant wait to here what the Rainbow comps sound like through it!

5. oldskooldub Forum Member

Good idea, they should sound nice. as your probably aware mk2 door get really wet inside so don't put you crossovers in there, you probarbly know this but I am just making sure, don't want you to kill em.

6. adrian_hassall

Heres a small update on how i've fitted the speakers in my car. I've still gotta wire them up but think there looking good so far! Be interesting to seehow they sound though!

No photos but i cut the material out on the back of the door card to enlarge the existing hole and thn coveed the back of the doorcard in fibre glass resin to give it abit more strength and repair the bottoms thats pull over the brackets on th ottom of the door!

Used 3 18mm plywood squares as baffles all screwed together and bonded with no more nails these were then screwed into a 6mm ply sheet thats been screwed into the door with self tappers. Still gotta add some sound deadening and fit a waterproof membrane to the door but as you can see means that the speakers are mounting in thre original oem door buls whilst being mounted to a nice solid fixing!! Wood work int the greatest but it holds them solid and does the job plus the baffles will be hidden behind te door card anyway!!:lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the tweeters i've put these in the wing mirror blanking plates used a hole cutter to drill the hole out then used a hot glue gun to mount them in place!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the cables are now ran through the car and the amp is mounted in the rear quarter behnd the door card just need to fix the crossovers in under the dash to finish it off!

What ya recon?

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

you did stick some plastic over the door before you re fitted the card yeah?

8. thegave Forum Member

fittt

9. adrian_hassall

[:D] Not yet but the speakers arent mounted yet!! I am gonna fit some and just brought a skins sound deadening and waterproof kit!

10. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi, Any chance you could re-upload the photos as photobucket seem to have ruined another thread! Or if anyone else saved the photos could kindly share them again as I'm looking to do the same and these should be helpful

Thanks