Fitting a turbocharged BUB 3.2 engine in a Sharan 2.8 4motion

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by ShaunPC-24v, Aug 11, 2020.

?

Should I turbocharge the R32 engine?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2020.
  1. No way! N/A all day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, 100% turbocharge it! Boost is the way forwards!

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. ShaunPC-24v New Member

Hi everyone, I’ve just bought a 3.2 BUB from a Audi TT that I’m preparing for our Sharan 2.8 4motion and need a little advice really.

The work that I’ve got planned prior to fitting the engine includes the following:-

1. Strip down the engine and clean in preparation for the installation of new parts.
    2. Paint engine ready for new parts.
    3. Fit all new top end oil seals and gaskets including decompression plate ready for turbo conversion. (Unless we decide not to turbocharge).
    4. Fit new timing chain, guide and tensioner kit.
    5. Fit new water pump and ancillary pulleys.

I stole the following from MUSHY 16V thread from 10 years ago.

right i am looking at putting a mk5 r32 engine in my mk4 v6 4motion

i just need to get it right in my head what i need to change over

• 1. fit fuel rail and injectors from the 4motion they should be the same as the mk4 r32

• 2. throttle do i keep the mk5 one on or put the one from the 4motion on ??

• 3. swop over the vac lines and so on from the 4motion

• 4. swop over the sensors?? and keep the loom from the 4motion

• 5. keep the 4motion ecu it has been remaped am going to see how it go's get custom one at a later date

• 6. fit the clutch and flywheel from the 4motion as the mk5 has a dsg box

any parts i would need to get

cheers in advance mushy

is there anything i have missed or any advice any one can give.

Now I know that my conversion isn’t exactly the same but I figure that the majority of the components from the vehicle that we are fitting the engine to will be similar if not identical to my conversion but I’m wondering if I’ve got anything else that I’ll need to swap and do I need to swap anything from my 2.8 engine into the 3.2 engine whilst the engine is stripped down.

One other thing that I’m wondering, is there anywhere in the UK that can map my standard 2.8 ECU. to run in turbocharged form?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Shaun

2. AllanWorms New Member

This is right up my alley! I have a mk5 R32 drivetrain in my 2006 Touran, including the 4WD :-)

One major thing to be aware of, is the exhaust cam and the variator are different from MK5 to MK4 - ideally you'd be better with the MK4 BFH style engine, or swap the cam and variator from one. I guess, if you're having tuning done this could be overcome? (not sure). The MK5 uses a different start-point and also has a wider range of adjustment.

The PCV and intake is a bit different between MK4 and MK5 too - MK5 has the PCV regulated and fed into the vacuum side of the throttle body - the MK4 feeds into the MAF side of the throttle body.

I suspect your best option will be to use just the MK5 long block, with the exhaust cam setup swapped (Assuming the 2.8 parts are compatible), and then all the MK4-style ancilliaries, intake, wiring etc and rocker cover/breather/PCV etc.

I would like to see an R32 turbo Sharan [:D] I'm quite keen to supercharge my Touran[8-}]

3. ShaunPC-24v New Member

I’ve been looking around on various sites but still not quite up to speed on the final ins and outs.

I’ve heard of people using the 2.8 management in turbocharged spec with incredible results but it seems that people are less forthcoming with the information unfortunately.
    I was hoping that their would be more knowledgeable people than myself that would be able to give more in depth details but at this point I’m becoming a little unstuck

4. AllanWorms New Member

Yeah - I've found a distinct lack of Forced Induction info too :-(

I reckon I could pretty easily fit an Eaton M112 on top of the VR6 in my Touran, maybe with a very subtle bonnet hump... but it's the details I can't find out that stop me doing it :-(

ShaunPC-24v likes this.
  5. ShaunPC-24v New Member

It’s really frustrating for me as a massive car and bike enthusiast to not be able to find the important information that is so relevant to such a build.
    I’m disabled due to a back injury and struggle to work on things anything like the way that I used to but I’m too stubborn to palm the work off and pay for someone else to do it for me. It’s my build and I’ll be dammed if I’m gonna let anyone else take the credit for it.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You guys only have to search this forum to find the information. We do not do rumor here. [:D]

Toyotec's 3.2 Boosting Thread.

I should point out. BUB/BMJ/BDB control electronics are not the best option for a vehicle that shares some electrics with a PQ34 plaform car.

erreesse likes this.
  7. AllanWorms New Member

You're *a little* more "advanced" than us small town yokels with our wierdo people movers :lol:

8. Toyotec

I aim to please...[:D]

AllanWorms likes this.
  9. nass Forum Member

Hi eddy

What about the audi mk1 tt bhe ecu?

10. Toyotec

Compatible with the car, but not the engine.

I have both 32hz and 40hz ECUs in my possession, to be worked on for various projects.

As I attempted to demonstrate with my own car, these things need to be well thought through.