Polo 6n2 rear disc conversion to mk2 Golf question

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by AngryLupo, Aug 12, 2020.

1. AngryLupo Paid Member Paid Member

I have fitted Polo 6n2 disc on my Golf driver to replace drums. Which handbrake cable I should to fit?

Polo 6n2 or Golf mk2 gti handbrake cable?

What about brake bias valve? I got one in the shed my Golf driver didn't have one.

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

When I put 6n2 discs on mk2 caddy I used cable adaptor from retrofication, as there was no alternative cable, but I'm going to be using mk4 calipers on mk2 golf so bought gti cables, there are things written about the mk4 calipers swapping straight on to mk2/3 and think the polo ones were same, may have different size piston?
    I have a set of pressure reduction valves from a mk1 focus which I'll use when plumb the conversion in, my golf is drum rear at present with no compensator or abs.
    Caddy had g60 discs and mk3 vr6 calipers on front too, no noticable difference in pedal feel, it stopped a lot better though.

3. dodgy

These are the pressure reduction valves, they were on the stubby focus master cylinder I got, and modified. £20 off Ebay.
    Plumbed straight into the master cylinder, but I will fit inline in the system away from the heat.

On another note, what did you do with the pipe/hose to caliper, think on the caddy I used a standard rear passat hose, 2001 model? it had banjo fitting same as later calipers and the original hard pipe screwed into it, just had to make a bracket to mount to trailing arm.
    Was a out six inches long from memory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you use a mk2 gti cable matched to the age of your car, the difference is down to the handbrake lever which changed around 1988 :)

5. AngryLupo Paid Member Paid Member

That was genius! Will you show me pic what look like once you have plumbed to master cylinder? Would be very interested to see.

I have ordered bajo type braided Goodridge fexi hose from Vw Heritage. They fit on polo 6n2 caliper fine. :)

6. AngryLupo Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Rubjonny my Golf driver is 1991 model so mean it's after 1988 and I can get order post 1988 gti handbrake cables then?

7. dodgy

Mines 1991 also, I ordered later gti cables which arrived yesterday.
    I'm not expecting to fit the parts for couple of months, gathering everything and need to get caliper mounting plates sorted, all in a box in the garage at moment, awaiting 6n2 rear hubs as will stay 4 stud and solid 239mm rears until do engine swap, then 5 stud with 9n3 polo hubs and cupra R brake set up all round (vr6 front hubs with 4 pot and 323mm discs, 256mm vented rears)

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep so post-88 GTI 1625mm cables for a 91 driver :)

dodgy likes this.
  9. AngryLupo Paid Member Paid Member

Good luck with your Project. If your Golf has finished you can upload photos someday :)

dodgy likes this.
  10. AngryLupo Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, been ordered one and arrived today.

11. dodgy

Spent an hour after work grinding the 9n axle mounts off the beam, cleaned up ready to drill tomorrow, bolts and discs ordered, and polo 6n2 rear hubs arrived yesterday.
    Going to fit a set of solid rears on 4 stud when I get hoses sorted, then upgrade to the 256mm vented rears and 5 stud at a later date, I'll get some pictures sorted.