Mk2 BAM Conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Mark Allen, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Mark Allen

Mark Allen Paid Member Paid Member

A bit of advice needed.

I will be doing a conversion on my Mk2 before long, however i have been offered a BAM engine off of a TT that is being broken.

I have asked for the ECU and Engine loom also. Is there anything else that is worth me grabbing from this car now. I have a window of oppertunity for the next 24hrs if i need anything further.

Thanks in advance for ay guidence

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Engine, ecu, loom, pedal plus loom to that.
    Gearbox possibly depends upon route you go with it, can blank it to fwd, or different box altogether.
    All plumbing for rad, fuel and intercooler, even if dont use it, parts in case.
    Downpipe can be modded to fit I believe.
    Expect someone more knowledgeable can be more specific.

3. Mark Allen

Thanks for this

So i'm going down the route of an 02A gearbox, is there any codes to avoid?

It was previously suggested a MK3 GTI box which i believe is a CDA?

I have been offered an CGY, would this be ok?

from what i can see, the differences are as follows;

CDA - 1st 3.300, 2nd 1.945, 3rd 1.308, 4th 1.029, 5th 0.387
    CGY - 1st 3.778, 2nd 2.188, 3rd 1.458, 4th 1.029, 5th 0.387

Any advice greatly appreciated

4. OIL3808 Forum Member

Really depends how your going to drive the car! 020 2Y in the MK2 valver is absolutely perfect IMO for a cammy/laggy ‘fast road’ motor, whereas I found BAM really suits the standard ratios in the 8L S3 with a ‘quickish’ box to match that O.E. K04 spool (ace on windy country lanes) - engine needs a higher rev limiter for 0-60/62 as you have to change into 3rd otherwise but then the valve train isn’t really up to it as standard!

02M - FHB:

1st: 3.42 2nd: 2.11 3rd: 1.48 4th: 1.15 5th: 1.17 6th: 0.97

1st to 4th FD: 4.2:1
    5th to 6th FD: 3.316:1

020 - 2Y

1st: 3.455 2nd: 2.118 3rd: 1.444 4th: 1.129 5th: 0.912

FD: 3.667:1

Could be worth using this;

https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-gear.aspx

You’d need to programme it twice for 02M as different final drives 1st to 4th and 5th to 6th.

If your going to modify the engine (rods a must, valve train if your going above standard rev limit as disintegrate!)

Not overly familiar with the 02A box but nonetheless hope that helps, cheers!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  5. Mark Allen

Thanks for the reply, I will try and digest this tomorrow

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You do not want the hassle of fitting a 02M gearbox into a MK2 Golf, regardless of the engine.
    AMK/APY/BAM/APX/BFV engines, in a light sub 1100 kg MK2 Golf, needs a gearbox not too short, but at the same time not too long.

A low compression, high output 20vT develops maximum torque from 3000 rpm and an ABF CDA/DPA gearbox, with its 3.68 FDR will more than sufficient to cope with good spacing between the gears and a FDR allowing 160 mph, in light weight MK2 Golf with suitable tyre sizes.

7. OIL3808 Forum Member

Agree with previous, although would have thought after removing transfer case could fit 2WD flange, for 02M into mk2? Guess it’s a lot more involved (different mounts/shifter/driveshafts?) and don’t doubt it’s something you’ve more knowledge of Toyotec!

Anyhow, please read previous as reference to 02M / 020 - solely for use on programmer to try and find a decent 02A box to suit car. If you find a box under radar always helps retain some of those beer tokens!

CDA does sound like a good match, though if your still undecided I found this link (at end of post), it’s set at 6500rpm with 195/50/15 tyres and you’ve got road speeds / gear to gear speed jumps on side of page.

Should help gauging if you’d be on boost when shifting up. Again this comes back to how you would use the car and then it’s ultimate power band if your intending on modifying, etc.

On a side note right ratios (not to long/short) really do make a car in every sense as mentioned above. Again hope this one helps, hopefully little better than last one!

Link;

http://vwtechnic.com/Technic/VWGearboxRatios.xls

Cheers!