Hatch opens violently

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mrglee, Oct 20, 2020.

1. mrglee Forum Member

Just opened hatch got it to about a foot open and it tried to take my jaw off and slammed into the fully open position thought it was going to rip itself off can the gas struts fail like this?.

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I've never seen them fail this way - normally they fail to remain upright or don't go all the way up and you wind up hitting your head on the lock mechanism.
    Either way, I would check them out and most likely replace them

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Had one go like that on an old metro, was at the MOT, it hit the tester in the face.
    Fail.

4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Nasty - may as well have hit him straight in the plums with that one :lol:

dodgy likes this.
  5. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

I could've done with that happening many years ago, when a prat was 'in my face' in a supermarket car park. He could see I was going to open the tailgate, but still had to step back smartly. In fact thinking now I'm surprised he didn't try to get me for attempted assault (he was that grade of foolish)

dodgy likes this.
  6. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Make sure the on the right way, MK2 have them mounted upside as far as I'm aware and the oil damper in certain designs is only made to work one way. If you've have failed like that on the car, I would guess there is an issue with the oil orifice or piston seals that is letting the oil bypass the piston too quickly. If you're looking for replacements, Stabilus Lift-O-mat are very good

7. mrglee Forum Member

Got a new pair of struts got one of the old one's off when fully compressed and let go snaps to full extension in the blink of an eye the new ones take about a second next problem fitting there the same length as the old but I need to compress it to fit Haynes didn't mention anything about this nor do any of the vids on YouTube.

8. mrglee Forum Member

Both struts fitted and hatch now opens in a smooth non jaw breaking fashion found it impossible to fit so came up with this
    IMG_20201026_073729.jpg

9. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

How much did you have to compress them? They should just clip straight on

EDIT: Golf 2 struts should be 500 mm and 270N force I think

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah you shouldn't have to squish them to fit, if you were changing one at a time and the new ones are slightly longer then that would explain the issue. take them both off and fit the new ones after, making sure when fully extended the hatch doesn't hit the roof.

I had mk3 seat ibiza ones on mine for a while, were a little stronger than stock which is what I needed as I'm running a stealth shelf. also used mk3 golf ones as well. one or both of these sets opens the hatch slightly further than standard as well

11. mrglee Forum Member

Only had to compress about 5mm would have to do the same to refit old ones both are 500mm not sure what's going on there
    Old ones rated 350nm new 420nm hatch opens and shuts like new my jaw is very happy now thanks for the help everyone.

costel1969 and dodgy like this.